What's new

Feather AC and Rust: A Cautionary Tale

Long story short: I left a Pro Super blade in my Feather AC SS for 2-3 weeks. I used it for a few shaves, and some touch-up now and then, but for the most part I was using my DX and other razors during that period. Tonight I opened up the SS and found a small rust spot on the blade, and a smaller rust spot on the inside of the removable side of the razor. The good news is that the rust spot on the razor came off with a little hand soap and a few rubs of a finger nail. The bad news is, well, there was rust.

I don't know when the rust started, but based on this experience I'm going to be more cautious. It doesn't take much to remove the blade and rinse & dry everything after a shave, but I'd rather not do this every time if I don't have to. (The less one handles a blade, the better, IMO.) Maybe I can get away with once a week? Maybe I should dip the razor in isopropyl alcohol after every shave? Use a blow-dryer on it? :tongue_sm

Anyway, I'm going to be more careful than before. Suggestions welcome.

Scary! I've used several Feather and Kai stainless folders over perhaps two years, never slightest sign of rust. I am sure to dry off blade and handle with towel then tissue after each shave. I also would not want to disassemble to clean and dry after each shave.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If water stays inside the head the blade will rust. Over the course of a week or two worth of shaves the rust won't do much damage and as you found a light scrubbing removes it. Blowing out the head will get most of the water out, as well as totally disassembling the head the drying it that way. If it's a daily shaved I just shake out whatever I can. I won't use it again for a while I will dry the whole thing off.

If water stays inside the head the blade will rust. Over the course of a week or two worth of shaves the rust won't do much damage and as you found a light scrubbing removes it. Blowing out the head will get most of the water out, as well as totally disassembling the head the drying it that way. If it's a daily shaved I just shake out whatever I can. I won't use it again for a while I will dry the whole thing off.

+1 i use a sponge to remove the lather that reduce the water in contact with the head.

The rust is likely the blade.

Sent from Mars

I have returned to my AC and have found the blade I left in wet rusted. Since I don't use the razor too often, after I shave with it I remove the blade, dry it, and then disassemble and dry the razor, replace the blade, and strop on a towel. No rust since I started treating the razor this way. Downside: this now takes longer to deal with than stropping a regular straight. And I'm not all that thrilled about handling the little blades.

Thanks, guys. I always rinse and (carefully) wipe the razor and handle dry after every shave, but that wasn't enough. I guess I'll have to disassemble, dry, and reassemble, at least every couple of days. I could try dipping in alcohol, but not sure that would help remove moisture trapped inside the head. Anyone ever try this?

huh... I'll leave a blade in for 6 months at a time and never had a problem, to date.

Same here. I guess that depends on your usage. I tend to wipe the lather off using a sponge. I guess not dipping it into water makes a difference? Or maybe the weather ?

Sent from Mars

I rinse, wash, repeat, and will put it up without any care, and come back to it a month or more later. it's simply a fire and forget for me. It's always been hot and humid here too. guess I'm just lucky that I haven't had rust.

... Or maybe the weather ?
Part of my problem is that my bathroom has no windows, the A/C doesn't reach there, and the ventilation that comes in through the ceiling shaft is only so-so. So I do have an issue with moisture. Maybe I should keep my razors out of the bathroom when I'm not shaving. Which would be a pain. :a36:

Part of my problem is that my bathroom has no windows, the A/C doesn't reach there, and the ventilation that comes in through the ceiling shaft is only so-so. So I do have an issue with moisture. Maybe I should keep my razors out of the bathroom when I'm not shaving. Which would be a pain. :a36:

I do keep my razors outside of my bathroom when they are not used for the week.

Also thinking about it maybe the bade having a slight deposit built up rather than rust. I often get that in de but the deposit wash away easily.

As a rule of thumb i clean my razor between each blade change.

Sent from Mars

Top Bottom