What's new

FAVOURITE RAZOR, SOTD "themed week" September 19th - September 25th 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a "New Born" Straight Shaver

Pre-Shave:
Hot shower
Brush: 26mm Simpson "Chubby 2" Super Badger
Maxterpiece: 8/8" Wade & Butcher "Celebrated", Extra Hollow Ground, Spike Point (w/ Black Paper Micarta scales + Bone Linen Micarta wedge)
Honing Regimen: Chosera 1k, 2k, 5k, 10k + Maruichi Nakayama Kiita/Asagi Hybrid JNat w/ Tomonagura slurry progression/dilution to water only + 7 (very light pressure) laps on CrOx on Bridle IV (sanded) leather strop.
Strop: 0/40 (Ambrose Horse Hide Clásico leather)
Überlather: D.R. Harris "Lavender" Shave Creme + D.R. Harris "Lavender" Shave Soap + Glycerin
Toner: Thayer's Witch Hazel (Lavender, no alcohol)
Moisturizer: D.R. Harris Aftershave Milk
After Shave Splash: D.R. Harris "Pink" AS
After Shave Balm: Boellis "Panama" ASB
Cologne: Acca Kappa "Blue Lavender" EdT
Results:
I had been waiting and drooling over this Wade & Butcher Extra Hollow for well over a year and finally scored her in pristine condition the other day
proxy.php
. Scales were in good enough and useable condition, but this beauty needed something more befitting her true character. So to Max she went for a makeover. I (almost) always give Max free reign over design and choice of scales and I have never been disappointed. This project was (almost) certainly no exception, but with the minimum requirement that her wardrobe consist of some kind of a timeless classic black scales with off white wedge. The result is what you see in this photo. I love it Maxtro :001_wub: (thank you
proxy.php
). Honing this beauty was a piece of cake too. The Choseras did a marvelous job in no time and the JNat/CrOx finish really sealed the deal with her edge. Hairs were popping all over town just with the mere whisper of the name W&B Extra Hollow, which admittedly deserved nothing less than the best in software/hardware. To this end, the D.R. Harris/Simpson combination fit the bill just perfectly. After this shave, I can honestly step up and say that I understand why Max swears by this beauty
proxy.php
. How can I best describe today's experience? Well, let me just say that it makes all my other shaves to date feel like a "first time/learning" shave. This was the nirvana moment every newbie straight shaver goes through in his wetshaving journey, stumbling along the way, all in the quest for that "perfect" shave. The words "Irritation-free" and "BBS/CBS" quickly evolved and took on a whole new meaning and as such, shattered all prior expectations. I can proudly (and publicly) announce that a new standard has been set with this blade. The genesis of a new chapter is beginning to take a hold of my wetshaving life and it begins with; "Today marks the first day of the rest of my straight shaving journey"
proxy.php

proxy.php

Have an EXTRAORDINARY Sunday gentlemen :thumbsup:.

Sunday

Bukhave Scuttle
H.L. Thäter Bruyére Silvertip
7/8" Korff & Honsberg - Dos Angelitos

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet Shaving Soap
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet Shaving Cream
Proraso Liquid Cream After Shave
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet EdT

Have a nice and relaxing Sunday, Gentlemen :001_smile

proxy.php

It's almost the end of this week's thread, so I couldn't resist jumping in to ask about this Henckels razor. The blade looks like a LeGrelot and I've never seen one like it. What grind is it? Is it a 6/8? Beautiful scales too, which I assume are custom.

proxy.php

HD/SP
G5
ER 150B/TGN 22mm short lofted best
L'Occitane Cade shaving soap
Cold water splash
Flood Suave splash

First go with Cade. Only positives!!

Surrey Banded Boar
C.O. Bigelow Cream
1955 Gillette Flaretip Super Speed with a US Personna blade
Witch Hazel
La Nuit Pour Homme by YSL

Sunday, September 25

Semogue B&B Custom Boar 2010
Acca Kappa 1869 (tub)
'40s Aristocrat
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (Indian)
Speick ASL
Pre de Provence ASB

Sunday

Muhle R89 with Derby
Simpson CH1 best
QED shave soap: Pine & Cedarwood

I'm coming around to the QED soap. It's a different beast than my usual choice of tallow based soft soaps so it lathers a little differently, but now that I have the hang of it I'm really enjoying it.

Brush: Shea Moisture Black Badger
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Personna Red
Soap: QCS Key Lime
Astrigent: RazoRock Alum Block
After shave: Floid Blue

Simple, Super Sunday Shave!

hosting images

Sunday:

Simpson M7
Trumper's Almond Cream
Feather SS with Israeli Personna