What's new

Favourite Pre-Shave Soap?

Do people here have a +soap that they especially love using as a prep before shaving? This isn't to say a shaving soap that one uses with a brush rather than a shave cream, but a facial soap that you'd use to clean up before a shave.

Right now, I'm using the same soap I use for almost everything else, which happens to be Dr. Bronner's Mint Castille soap. It's very nice- I particularly love the smell- but it does dry my skin more than I'd like.

-Z

Ach Brito Glyce is amazing, actually adds to the shaving lather slickness. 81u1AmiMLcS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Don't know why your soap leaves your skin dry. From washing to lathering, you should be keeping your skin wet.
That's not what I mean by dry in this case. I mean, dry as in unmoisturized & sensitive, not the best way to begin a shave. I'll try that soap you mentioned, though.

-Z

Reactions: nav

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
That's not what I mean by dry in this case. I mean, dry as in unmoisturized & sensitive, not the best way to begin a shave. I'll try that soap you mentioned, though.

-Z
It is my opinion that you don't want your skin "moisturized" before applying lather. My reason for washing my face before lathering is to try and remove all the oils on/in the whiskers so as to better allow water to penetrate. Pears Transparent soap may not be for you. It appears to be good at removing oils from the whiskers but it doesn't really moisturize the skin very much.

If you want/need to moisturize your skin, this is better done after the shave and after thoroughly rinsing off all lather residue.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use a triple milled hard soap in the shower, and wash my face with soap as and when needed. I do not however wash my face with or without soap before a shave. I am a face latherer and more often than not I simply load the brush and start to lather on my totally dry face. I have tried washing my face before shaving, splashing water on my face before lathering, face scrubs, brush soaking, pre shave creams, pre shave oils etc. and none of it makes any difference to my shave. Keep it simple works for me.

Do people here have a +soap that they especially love using as a prep before shaving? This isn't to say a shaving soap that one uses with a brush rather than a shave cream, but a facial soap that you'd use to clean up before a shave.

Right now, I'm using the same soap I use for almost everything else, which happens to be Dr. Bronner's Mint Castille soap. It's very nice- I particularly love the smell- but it does dry my skin more than I'd like.

-Z

I use a shaving soap for pre shave face wash as they are less cleansing than bath/hand/face soaps.

I can't use these as they dry out my skin and I get sensitivity during the shave.

The very light cleansing from a shaving soap works perfectly for what I want to achieve.

Presently, I used liquefied Spice bar soap. I cut the bar into small pieces, poured very hot water on them, and then, poured the liquid into a sink soap dispenser. reading the above, I may go back to a glycerin soap when the OS soap is used up.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My dermatologist recommend I use the facial soap from either CeraVe or Cetaphil.... in good B&B fashion, I bought both. They are both very nice but if I had to choose, I'd pick the Cetaphil. My wife absolutely loves the skin moisturizer tubs from both.... and she's been fussing around for months with dry skin on her legs... both of them solved that problem so she's very happy.

In the shower, I use one of the facial soaps on my whole face, twice... then at the end before I rinse off the facial soap, I use the Phoenix Cube 2.0 on the parts of my face that I shave. I also use their Tube 2.0 as a pre-shave... rubbing it in briskly before I lather my face.

This routine, along with the Metro Gel my dermatologist prescribed, has solved my red bump problem on my forehead and cheeks. That was really annoying me for quite a while.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I am a big fan of the Tubes rather than the Cubes from PAA. The Tubes keep the pre shave off of your hands.
I keep the Cube in the shower on one of shelves in our corner shower shelf unit.... the Tube 2.0 is on the vanity countertop.... it's less messy to apply with the Tube but I end up rubbing it in briskly anyway. It's just that the Tube doesn't make a mess on the countertop.

1660055890251.png
I had a very good but confusing shave yesterday morning. Confusing as in 'I don't know why the result was so pleasing.'
I basically have convinced myself that pre-shave stuff doesn't add anything to a good shave. So away with all pre-shave oils and my Proraso Green pre-shave remains 'almost finished'. A good shower and than a (very) warm cloth for a few seconds when I'm hanging over the basin. That's all it needs...
While showering I also washed my hair using a Bundubeard solid shampoo and solid conditioner puck. I decided to give my 2 day whiskers a similar treatment.
After the shower, time for the shave. After revisiting some older soaps, I decided to face lather using MdC Original and a Yaqi Atlantis synthetic brush. (I'm always amazed how fast MdC starts producing dense lather!). I had an Astra Green blade in my Fatip OC that I decided to give another go after a not so pleasing shave two days before. I finalised the shave with a good splash of Proraso Green.
The result of a 3 pass shave was just amazing. Couldn't stop touching my own face for the rest of the day. So smooth!

So was it the pre-shave or the MdC that caused this result? Not sure... Among the shampoo bar's ingredients (Glycerine, Sodium Stearate, Triethanolamine Lauryl Sulphate, Incromectant L Amea, Lanexol AWS, Crodasinic CAC, Propylene Glycol, Urea, EDTA Disodium Salt, Cold pressed virgin coconut oil, Jamaican black Castor oil, Shea butter) are glycerine and coconut oil, similar to Ach. Brito pre-shave soap. Maybe the Ach. Brito Glyce is a little more 'pure'? Maybe I should give it a try?

I always wash my face morning, afternoon when my shaves happen, and last thing at night. I use a nice Pre De Provence hard, triple milled soap with Shea butter. I also use a few of Stirling Soaps which I rotate. There are the samples I am still working on from Stirling: Lemon, Lavender and Mint is one and the other is called Facial which has a orange citrus smell to it. I have a full size bar of body soap from Stirling called Saguaro Blossom which is a light flowery cactus smell like the name would suggest. All four of the soaps I mentioned have been in rotation for my frequent face washes and I've been experiencing great feeling, clean skin. I should mention I normally use ASB after my AS scent has died down so my skin is pretty nourished and I also like to apply body lotion to my face sometime during the day but I wait at least a couple hours after a shave to do that. The body lotion I apply on my face is either Nivea Body Cream or Stirling Soap Co. Baker Street body lotion. I haven't always paid extra attention to washing my face more often or particular about what soap I use, but these days I enjoy the feeling of quality soaps.

Top Bottom