What's new

Favourite horse hair brush?

Any favourites featuring horse hair?

I've been using a Vie-Long 14095 for years now, and like it a lot, but I'm thinking of picking up something new to try. The horse hair market seems to have expanded since I bought the 14095, but it's still a less popular (and consequently less discussed) material than badger, boar, or even synthetic.

I only have two horse hair brushes, a Zenith 506N XS (Extra Soft) and an Epsilon 26mm White Horse Hair (Epsilon is made by Vie Long). The Epsilon is new and I've only used it once, it has a nice dense knot but has a bit of scritch to it (likely because it's still new and breaking in). The Zenith on the other hand is also a nice and dense knot but it is incredibly soft, no scritch at all (at least not on my face).

Semogue also make horse hair brushes, but I have no experience with them (yet).

I only have two, a Zenith and Vie-Long. The Vie-Long was the first and I had a devil of a time getting the horse smell from it. Zenith wasn't as stinky and has performed better overall for me. I like that they perform more like a badger for the price of a boar.

I love my nags I have a Zenith and a Vie-Long that was a transplant into a Rubberset, and an Ally handle un-named horse they all are fantastic. The Vie-Long shed a few loose strands for the first two shaves but nothing now, but don't scrub them use paintbrush strokes and they will last a lifetime.

Vielong B0370524 24 mm with 50/50 mix of main/tail hairs. Has a great vibe!

1645838026532.png

Any favourites featuring horse hair?

I've been using a Vie-Long 14095 for years now, and like it a lot, but I'm thinking of picking up something new to try. The horse hair market seems to have expanded since I bought the 14095, but it's still a less popular (and consequently less discussed) material than badger, boar, or even synthetic.
I have a vie long with a butterscotch handle that is outstanding. I’m not sure of the model number but I’m sure they can’t have many butterscotch models.

I have several horsehairs and love them all, but the two that I use the most is a Rubberset 400 and a Zenith. Here is my Rubberset 400 with a Vie-Long 24mm Brown Horse Hair knot

20200217_005354.jpg

Here is the Zenith

20200217_005316.jpg

And an un-named brush but the knot is fantastic

20200217_005418.jpg

But I hope you can find one to your liking on the web.

My daily horse is an Epsilon 12705B (24/50; 50% tail, 50% mane)). Lathers well and can be used just like a boar or badger (I face lather).

I only have one, so it is definitely my favorite! 😆

Seriously, I really like it, and after reading some of the reviews posted here, may opt for another.

Top Bottom