What's new

Favourite grocery store coffee brands?

Grocery store brand?? The ones that were roasted who knows how long ago??

Nope......Highland Coffee next to LSU in Baton Rouge,LA, roasts my beans and gets them to me in 3 days!

Comes in very handy with all grocery stores here are "madhouses " with empty shelves.

Awesome, I will! Thanks! I'm a professional brewer but I don't drink that much alcohol nor do I really Homebrew any more but I'm obsessed with coffee and love tinkering with different methods.
Send me a PM if you want advice on what to buy or how to use it. I would need to know what type of stove you have: gas, electric, induction, etc.

If anyone finds themselves in/around DeLand Florida (Western Volusia county, about 30 mins SW of Daytona and about 45 mins N of Orlando) you must check out Trilogy Coffee! My buddy Clay owns it, micro roasts everything fresh from imported green beans

In Germany, my favorite brands of supermarket coffee are Melitta Montana and Mövenpick "Der Himmlische" (The Heavenly). There are others, as well as the own/house brands of the supermarkets (not just Aldi or Lidl). French and Austrian supermarkets also have good coffee.

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Our local Tom Thumb supermarket had a sale on their organic coffee bricks. Ridiculous low price, so I picked up 6 bricks of various roasts/beans. So far the Kona that I've tried is great. Aztec is next on deck, soon.

I've been meaning to ask someone about instant. I hear it's very popular in South America and Europe and many brands will make a great cup. I'll have to look for these.
My parents are from Mexico and grew up on Nescafe and drank it for many years. Then I turned them to auto drip using foldgers. Now they only like coffee that uses 100% Arabica Colombian coffee like Dunkin donuts or Eight o'clock coffee. They now consider instant disgusting and Folgers to be drinkable. Once you try the good stuff it's hard to go back.

My parents are from Mexico and grew up on Nescafe and drank it for many years. Then I turned them to auto drip using foldgers. Now they only like coffee that uses 100% Arabica Colombian coffee like Dunkin donuts or Eight o'clock coffee. They now consider instant disgusting and Folgers to be drinkable. Once you try the good stuff it's hard to go back.

Had a good coffee maker and gave it away, instant is more convenient for those who live alone. The taste isn't all that much better, regardless of the brand-Coffee is coffee.

During "lockdown" I have been drinking decafinated coffee. On sale, I bought the Safeway grocery store brand "Columbian" pre-ground decaf and have been making it in my moka pot. For some reason, it seems to be ground finer than regular drip blends and has been working OK in the moka pot. The flavor is not as strong as Medaglia d'oro but is not bad at all, and better than when it is made in a French press. A pleasant surprise.

I prescribe to the following:
  • Green Coffee stays fresh for years.
  • Once roasted, it's best to use within 5~10 days.
  • Once ground, it's best to use within 15~30 minutes.
I roast year round but when in a pinch I can get locally roasted coffee from my grocery store (also local)... and yes I am that guy checking the roast dates on the bag.
Yes unless a posted ROAST DATE not best before date is posted on the bag there is no way you would know before brewing. Pilot Roasters in Toronto fed ex my beans day after roast. Millions of people are happy drinking stale roasted coffee. I was very satisfied with drinking stale roasted until I tried FRESH. My roaster sells five pound bags which I purchase and put into mason jars and freeze. Properly packaged no deterioration in quality or flavour is compromised.

Fresh ground is the only way to go especially if you pull espresso shots. My espresso machine will not produce a shot out of stale coffee. I’m a firm believer that you should have more then one razor. I’m a firm believer that you can do a better job brewing if you have more then one grinder.
BB2EC3F7-B373-4C4D-A686-01F85022E996.jpeg
87F8132F-1975-4E9D-A77B-9F538E6D8385.jpeg
E3C3C050-F4B2-4165-AAE5-302490219650.jpeg

If you like a flavored coffee that tastes fantastic and turns heads, try Seattle’s best hazelnut.

Thanks for the tip! I ordered some from Walmart and I’m enjoying my first cup right now on my first day of furlough. We’ll see which one lasts longer, the bag of coffee or the furlough.

Top Bottom