What's new

Favourite grocery store coffee brands?

Cafe Bustelo espresso. Got hooked on it in Florida. Made by Roland Roasters. I use a Moca pot.
Roland also makes Medaglia d'Oro and another Latin coffee that I forget the name of. La Llave?

BTW, put some sugar in the basket with your Bustello and you will be making a "Cubano"!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Roland also makes Medaglia d'Oro and another Latin coffee that I forget the name of. La Llave?

BTW, put some sugar in the basket with your Bustello and you will be making a "Cubano"!
I think La Llava is Italian and am not sure about Medaglia d’Oro but I don’t believe it is a Roland product but it may be. Cafe Pilon is made by Roland and is a bit more costly but I can’t tell the difference. I used to have business in Miami and drank a lot of Cuban coffee. 25 cents a shot. Wonderful stuff. Also cafe cortodito which was Cuban coffee with cream. I gave up sugar so I don’t consume that lovely nectar any longer. Having a cup of Bustelo at the moment ❤️.

I have a new trick in making my 4cup Mr coffee drip maker make coffee that tastes perked. I'm not at home right now, but will post pics and my secret recipe when I get home.

It's so good I'm thinking about challenging @Mick to a blind taste test........

Of course, my Mom will be the only judge, and she's got 20/20 vision. And won't be wearing a blindfold. And she loves me.

Do you accept these terms Mick, or are you a yellow bellied sap sucker?

Ah, er, eh?

Sure....

I just roasted some Keyna AA that is knocking my sox off right now.

I just did an inventory of greens and found 40 pounds of a small family farm in Peru..... this was so good that I stashed it alway.

I think La Llava is Italian and am not sure about Medaglia d’Oro but I don’t believe it is a Roland product but it may be. Cafe Pilon is made by Roland and is a bit more costly but I can’t tell the difference. I used to have business in Miami and drank a lot of Cuban coffee. 25 cents a shot. Wonderful stuff. Also cafe cortodito which was Cuban coffee with cream. I gave up sugar so I don’t consume that lovely nectar any longer. Having a cup of Bustelo at the moment ❤.
La Llave is produced by Gaviña: Ground Espresso Coffee | Cafe La Llave - http://www.cafelallave.com/

I think La Llava is Italian and am not sure about Medaglia d’Oro but I don’t believe it is a Roland product but it may be. Cafe Pilon is made by Roland and is a bit more costly but I can’t tell the difference. I used to have business in Miami and drank a lot of Cuban coffee. 25 cents a shot. Wonderful stuff. Also cafe cortodito which was Cuban coffee with cream. I gave up sugar so I don’t consume that lovely nectar any longer. Having a cup of Bustelo at the moment ❤.
La Llave has to be Hispanic because that is how you spell "key" in spanish. It is spelled differently in Italian.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
La Llave has to be Hispanic because that is how you spell "key" in spanish. It is spelled differently in Italian.
You are correct. I got it confused with the overpriced Italian coffee in the silver can. One of the Hispanic coffees is made in NY. Could be La Llave. I have had it (I try them all) but don’t remember the details. I’m rather stuck on Bustelo. Just bought a 3 pound can actually. I have a mug of caffeine first thing then decaf throughout the day. 3 HEAPING teaspoons of grounds in a 6 cup Moca pot makes a decent cup.

You are correct. I got it confused with the overpriced Italian coffee in the silver can. One of the Hispanic coffees is made in NY. Could be La Llave. I have had it (I try them all) but don’t remember the details. I’m rather stuck on Bustelo. Just bought a 3 pound can actually. I have a mug of caffeine first thing then decaf throughout the day. 3 HEAPING teaspoons of grounds in a 6 cup Moca pot makes a decent cup.
Bustello can be bitter and strong. I believe that it is all Robusto beans and no Arabica beans, or maybe a mix. But, if you are brewing it with sugar the Cubano way it covers that up. If you are making Italian style drinks like latte's, Americano's and cappuccini then something like Medaglia d'Oro or Lavazza works better as these are all Arabica bean blends.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Bustello can be bitter and strong. I believe that it is all Robusto beans and no Arabica beans, or maybe a mix. But, if you are brewing it with sugar the Cubano way it covers that up. If you are making Italian style drinks like latte's, Americano's and cappuccini then something like Medaglia d'Oro or Lavazza works better as these are all Arabica bean blends.
It is 100% Arabica. If it weren’t strong and bitter, I wouldn’t drink it. 💪

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Only one type is 100% Arabica. Couldn’t find types in cafe Pilon coffees. In any case, it is a wonderful blend. I have used Medaglia in the past but seem to always gravitate back to Bustelo or Pilon. I like the Pilon decaf. I don’t use sugar or milk (Cafe cortado) but do use a bit of Swerve. I don’t care for mild or “tame” coffee.

Only one type is 100% Arabica. Couldn’t find types in cafe Pilon coffees. In any case, it is a wonderful blend. I have used Medaglia in the past but seem to always gravitate back to Bustelo or Pilon. I like the Pilon decaf. I don’t use sugar or milk (Cafe cortado) but do use a bit of Swerve. I don’t care for mild or “tame” coffee.

MDO is 100% Arabica so it is probably too mild for you.

You are a Macho Man!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
MDO is 100% Arabica so it is probably too mild for you.

You are a Macho Man!
That is why there are so many blends I suppose. I got hooked on Roland Roasters when I lived in Florida and did frequent trips to Miami for business. Lots of Cafe Cubano. I’ve been an espresso freak for many years now. My wife drinks Gevalia but I’ve noticed my Bustelo decreasing quite suspiciously lately.

That is why there are so many blends I suppose. I got hooked on Roland Roasters when I lived in Florida and did frequent trips to Miami for business. Lots of Cafe Cubano. I’ve been an espresso freak for many years now. My wife drinks Gevalia but I’ve noticed my Bustelo decreasing quite suspiciously lately.
Roland used to make MDO.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My wife is very particular about her coffee. She prefers Seattle's Best and Reggie's Roast. I am an instant coffee guy. There's a Fair Trade instant called Cafe Altura which is dynamite! But...keep in mind that I have sweet cream and four sugars in my coffee.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I got a bit confused with the article. Not sure if all operations are still in Miami. The company I worked for insured
Rowland. I tried the rather expensive Italian coffee in the tall silver can and didn’t find it worth the price. In the early 70’s there was a coffee roaster and blender in Old Town Alexander, VA. They exhausted toe rosasters to the street. On a cold winters day, it was wonderful and I bought a lot of coffee there. Just thought of that. It was likely where I bought my first Moca Pot.

I can't deal with super strong and bitter coffee anymore, so I looked for something fairly strong, yet smooth, and I found a keeper, New Orleans French Market Coffee with Chicory. This has a deep yet smooth flavor, with a caramel-like finish. The chicory imparts a balance to the natural bitterness of coffee, and also reduces the caffeine some, but still has enough for the wake-up you want. I have tried numerous brands of coffee through my life, searching for the taste of coffee served at pricey restaurants and country clubs. FM Coffee with Chicory is the closest I have found. I enjoy this coffee hot with cream and sugar, straight, or cafe aut laite' style. This coffee is also very good iced. I haven't purchased any other kind of coffee since finding it. Reasonably priced, about $8 for 12 ounces. Not commonly found, located this at the local full-line grocer, and of course it is sold online.

Last edited:
Top Bottom