What's new

Favourite grocery store coffee brands?

Lately I'm enjoying Gevalia, and I'll switch off to a local house roaster as well. Seems to make both more enjoyable for some reason.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have been brewing Community Coffee Café Special Using the stovetop percolator. Some really great coffee. Only issue is that I drink way too much while teleworking.

I have been brewing Community Coffee Café Special Using the stovetop percolator. Some really great coffee. Only issue is that I drink way too much while teleworking.

I've recently finished a canister of Community coffee. American Classic. I like how the grind is a little courser, which, like you, makes is easier to use in a stovetop perc.

I like Don Francisco's (F. Gaviña & Sons) brand. They have their own brands in supermarkets, as well roast coffee for both McDonald's and Costco.

I used to buy their pre-ground "Café La Llave Espresso" that went for about $5 / can in supermarkets, which I used to use in a drip coffee machine (Café La Llave Fine Grind Coffee Can - https://donfranciscos.com/products/cafe-la-llave-10-oz-can-fine-grind):
1586648691942.png

Despite the price and pre-ground beans, I always found Café La Llave to produce excellent drip coffee & espresso. It was always extremely well received by my co-workers when I brewed it at work, though it certainly helped that the coffee provided by my work was widely hated at the time. Oddly, I have from time to time been able to buy Café La Llave as whole beans, but it has been pretty rare and I usually can only find it online from places like cubanfoodmarket.com

Now I generally buy their whole bean "Jose's Gourmet Coffee" brands that they sell at Costco. I like the "Jose's Columbian Supremo" and the "Organic French Roast." They are also sold on Amazon, but for twice the price that Costco sells it at:
1586648553761.png

1586648617294.png

LA Llave is a finer grind than Drip coffee and is intended for use in Moka pots.

It works pretty well and is similar to Bustelo.

LA Llave is a finer grind than Drip coffee and is intended for use in Moka pots.

It works pretty well and is similar to Bustelo.
I liked La Llave no matter how I prepared it: Espresso Machine, Drip Machine, Pour Over, AeroPress, Moka pot.

Though I was never a huge fan of Moka pots in general, as I found them to always have a bit of a burnt taste.

I liked La Llave no matter how I prepared it: Espresso Machine, Drip Machine, Pour Over, AeroPress, Moka pot.

Though I was never a huge fan of Moka pots in general, as I found them to always have a bit of a burnt taste.
I have heard that as well.

May I ask if you have an electric range?

When I'm close enough to my hometown to get Seaport coffee, that's often what I'll do. Otherwise, Community tends to be my go-to (picking up whatever blend suits my fancy at the time). I was at a coffe klatch on Saturday, though, and he was brewing the Café Olé "espresso" blend, an H.E.B. store brand (a Texas regional chain supermarket). It was good! I'll probably pick some up soon.

Hello frome Groves! Next time you're in an HEB look for Independence Coffee, it is roasted in Brenham. I tend to alternate between Earlywine which, as you may suspect, is a breakfast blend and Jet Fuel, which is a darker roast. Seaport and Community are in the rotation as well, we like to support local businesses here in The Republic!

I have heard that as well.

May I ask if you have an electric range?
Gas range, but the only Moka Pot I ever owned was actually an electric standalone device by DeLonghi: Electric Moka Pot Coffee Maker for Espresso, 6 Cups | De'Longhi US - https://www.delonghi.com/en-us/products/coffee-and-espresso/coffee-makers/moka/alicia-emk-6-0132035010

I don’t know if a stovetop would have made a difference. I also wasn’t grinding my own coffee back then, so I don’t know if I was really using it to its full potential but I no longer own it.

We‘re French Press exclusive at this point, minus a drip coffee machine we never use outside of parties.

Hello frome Groves! Next time you're in an HEB look for Independence Coffee, it is roasted in Brenham. I tend to alternate between Earlywine which, as you may suspect, is a breakfast blend and Jet Fuel, which is a darker roast. Seaport and Community are in the rotation as well, we like to support local businesses here in The Republic!

Brand 425 is another small batch roaster based in Kountze. Not very big but they've gained traction with some of the local coffee shops and craft breweries. I'm looking at you Neches Brewing Co...

Last edited:
Gas range, but the only Moka Pot I ever owned was actually an electric standalone device by DeLonghi: Electric Moka Pot Coffee Maker for Espresso, 6 Cups | De'Longhi US - https://www.delonghi.com/en-us/products/coffee-and-espresso/coffee-makers/moka/alicia-emk-6-0132035010

I don’t know if a stovetop would have made a difference. I also wasn’t grinding my own coffee back then, so I don’t know if I was really using it to its full potential but I no longer own it.

We‘re French Press exclusive at this point, minus a drip coffee machine we never use outside of parties.
Some people believe that because you can't really match the burner size of an electric range to the size of a moka pot like you can on a gas stove that it heats more slowly. This would be like a slow pull on a manual espresso machine. On my gas range, small burner, the extraction time on the moka pot is about 20-30 seconds. Not that different than an espresso machine. I am told that on an electric range, the extraction time is close to one minute. So it can make a difference. You electric pot might have been even slower.

Some people believe that because you can't really match the burner size of an electric range to the size of a moka pot like you can on a gas stove that it heats more slowly. This would be like a slow pull on a manual espresso machine. On my gas range, small burner, the extraction time on the moka pot is about 20-30 seconds. Not that different than an espresso machine. I am told that on an electric range, the extraction time is close to one minute. So it can make a difference. You electric pot might have been even slower.
Possibly. It went somewhat quick once it was fully heated, but not close to 30 seconds. I think part of the issue was how hard it was to clean out the water reservoir since it couldn’t be submerged in water due to the electric parts, so there was water scaling buildup overtime that I couldn’t fully remove.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

Howdy!

I still like a cup of Seaport when I get back close to home, but I don't buy much roasted coffee anymore. I started roasting my own not terribly long after that post and have pretty much lived off that since. Independence sounds interesting, though, so I'll keep an eye out for that if I'm on the road or just looking to buy some roasted beans.

Possibly. It went somewhat quick once it was fully heated, but not close to 30 seconds. I think part of the issue was how hard it was to clean out the water reservoir since it couldn’t be submerged in water due to the electric parts, so there was water scaling buildup overtime that I couldn’t fully remove.
Thanks for your reply. I was considering moving into an all electric home and getting one of those self contained units. I didn't think about the scale build up issue. Where I live now the water is very soft so scale is not an issue.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a new trick in making my 4cup Mr coffee drip maker make coffee that tastes perked. I'm not at home right now, but will post pics and my secret recipe when I get home.

It's so good I'm thinking about challenging @Mick to a blind taste test........

Of course, my Mom will be the only judge, and she's got 20/20 vision. And won't be wearing a blindfold. And she loves me.

Do you accept these terms Mick, or are you a yellow bellied sap sucker?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I enjoy buying my coffee beans from boutique coffee shops. I also have experimented with various grocery store varieties of ground coffee...usually in a can or vacuum sealed package. There are two off-the-shelf varieties I really enjoy: McCafe (I can't believe I just said that)...and Medaglia Doro, an Italian coffee. What about you? What is your favourite grocery store ground coffee?
Cafe Bustelo espresso. Got hooked on it in Florida. Made by Roland Roasters. I use a Moca pot.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Here is my awesome new percalator tasting coffee recipe from a 4cup Mr Coffee: 1 and a half teaspoons of medium roast Dunkin Donuts caffeinated coffee, and half a teaspoon of an Aldi brand of decaf. I'm going to try to take a pic, but as my memory is shot and I have to remember how to post pics every time I post a pic, no garauntees!
15891613456401224910476176942574.jpg

This stuff tastes terrible on it's own, by the way.

Top Bottom