What's new

Favourite Christmas foods

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 German stollen... Whether it's a bread or fruitcake is moot. Frau Helga's from Dresden is widely available and pretty good...

Yankee family taught me to appreciate good gingerbread men...

Latinos break out the turrone candy after the traditional Noche Buena roast pork, congri and yuca... Turrone ranges from marzipan to almond paste/honey and papery peanut brittle. 😋.

AA

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If you can find a reasonably good commercial or artisan fruitcake, wrap it in cheesecloth give it a healthy dose of rum or brandy (and dont use the cheap stuff) then wrap that in plastic wrap and let it sit in a cool place (not the fridge or it will taste like leftovers) for a few weeks before you cut it. You can repeat the splash of rum or brandy every week.

I'll reiterate that Grand Marnier often is my choice when I do this. It is sweeter (which is odd because I so dislike anything too sweet), but it works!

Stoll
🤔 German stollen... Whether it's a bread or fruitcake is moot. Frau Helga's from Dresden is widely available and pretty good...

Yankee family taught me to appreciate good gingerbread men...

Latinos break out the turrone candy after the traditional Noche Buena roast pork, congri and yuca... Turrone ranges from marzipan to almond paste/honey and papery peanut brittle. 😋.

AA
Stolen is tops!!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I do have a weird little tradition, food wise. At least once between the 24th and 31st, when I'm home alone, I'll serve myself a big bowl of Brussels sprouts cooked with pancetta and red onion. Nothing with it, just that as a meal. Although sometimes I will add chestnuts. I actually deviated slightly from the tradition this year, by serving it with honey glazed roast parsnips.

I do try and pick a day when I'll be home alone the day after too...

Am I the only one who likes the danish butter cookies? Also my mom’s bourbon balls, peanut butter balls and divinity. Unfortunately she doesn’t make the divinity that much anymore and I missed out on the bourbon balls this year

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Am I the only one who likes the danish butter cookies? Also my mom’s bourbon balls, peanut butter balls and divinity. Unfortunately she doesn’t make the divinity that much anymore and I missed out on the bourbon balls this year
Everyone other than cardiologists LOVES them! I know I do.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rusty:
attachment.php
Mincemeat Pies has been another favorite holiday standout since I was a little boy. Growing up in East Lansing, Mich, I remember my Mom chopping & mincing the suet & beef, combining the dried fruits, nuts, brandy & spices (now I use canned minicemeat...not like the traditional pies Mom made from old), to 'rest' for days before final pastry assembly and baking! :w00t:

Now I love it served with brandy cream (I fold a little sugar and brandy gently into fresh whipped heavy cream)! :thumbsup:

attachment.php
"Mince[meat] pie,...arouses curiosity from the mystery attaching to it. Its popularity shall never wane until faith is lost in sight". Montpelier Argus

PS BTW...another of our favorites is Fresh Apple Pie served with slice of melted Cheddar cheese on top;

pie-with-cheese-jpg.867916
"Pie without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze". Park Benjamin, Sr.

Top Bottom