What's new

Favourite board game?

Panzer Leader.
I was banned from playing Monopoly after learning how to do it from a Univac computer.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I enjoy chess, but I rarely ever had anybody to play with, so I'm not very good, and I never had a head for strategy. I tried playing against the computer a few days ago and got whooped.

My fiancée will occasionally play checkers with me on the phone, and I'm much better at that. I find it easier to think a few moves ahead when I don't have to think about how each different piece moves.

chess-set-leningrad-ebonised-chess-pieces-walnut-chess-board-1_2048x2048.jpg

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Is Backgammon a board game? My wife and I love playing!
Steve:
I don't know if that if is true, but the 5000 year old game is the best! :thumbsup:

However, besides playing the 'basic' game, the Mrs. and I aren't too fancy about using the doubling cube..., but we love playing Acey-Duecey! :w00t:

proxy.php
"Backgammon is game which requires both luck and skill. Luck keeps the game interesting, but skillfull play will always be rewarded". Paul Magriel

Last edited:
Steve:
I don't know if that if is true, but the 5000 year old game is the best! :thumbsup:

However, besides playing the 'basic' game, the Mrs. and I aren't too fancy about using the doubling cube..., but we love playing Acey-Duecey! :w00t:

proxy.php
"Backgammon is game which requires both luck and skill. Luck keeps the game interesting, but skillfull play will always be rewarded". Paul Magriel
We like to play it when we're camping, which we're doing over the last week. It's an easy game to play. We haven't tried all the different dice with it yet though.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
We like to play it when we're camping, which we're doing over the last week. It's an easy game to play. We haven't tried all the different dice with it yet though.
Steve:
Just checked the Wikipedia...backgammon is a board game and in that case this game is the Mrs. and I favorite. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Never, ever, grab the first good looking play you see. There is often a better move around the corner. Go look for it". Kit Woolsey

When we were kids Monopoly was the big game in the house. I think we went through several editions of the game. Now I can't stand to even look at a Monopoly board. Oddly enough my avatar is the Monopoly man....and people at work call me the Monopoly Man because we have similar mustaches.

I play a lot of boardgames in addition to being a tabletop wargamer (Warhammer 40K). The centerpiece of my boardgames collection is my copy of Kingdom Death and all its expansions (NOT a family friendly game, and NSFW if you Google it).

It does depend what mood I'm in. If I want a quicker, more casual game I enjoy Race for the Galaxy with the first two expansion packs. For something longer I prefer Powergrid (German map).

I've only ever played one proper game of Monopoly. It was quite fun, much more so than I expected, but I like the self-balancing of Powergrid and Monopoly is virtually the opposite: any small difference in luck gets magnified enormously.

Especially since my brothers and I would end up fighting after a game of Monopoly.
In university there were a group of us who alternated playing Risk and Monopoly. Risk was pretty much by the rules but Monopoly took on a definitely more aggressive note. If you landed on someone else's property and either couldn't or didn't want to pay the rent you had the option to take a bloody knuckles* beating. Each hit was worth $200, so if you hit Boardwalk with a hotel either $2000 rent or 10 hits (could take it on the hand/hands of your choice).

*I've seen two versions of bloody knuckles; one where both participants just sort of punch each other's hands straight on (I think that's the "official" method but never made sense to me) or the version I'm familiar with where both people make a fist and the aggressor will strike from above using the knuckles between the middle and proximal phalanges to hit the head end of the opponent's metacarpals.

great question. I spent a lot of my youth playing way to much Risk. When I had kids we did Chutes and Ladders (Snakes & Ladders outside the US), Guess Who and as they grew up Life and Clue (Cluedo outside the US). I think it's who I'm playing with moreso than what game I'm playing.

I'm a fan of Sequence. Basically, you have playing cards in your hand and you use them to place pieces on corresponding spots on a board. The goal is to get a line of five pieces, called a sequence. Other players can block you from doing it.

proxy.php

We have been into Taikdo, Ticket to Ride and Catan. We also like a game called Quirkle.
Growing up we were a big Monopoly family, and Dad and I played Backgammon, I miss that one, will have to teach my daughter.

Not a "board game" but I am truly partial to a deck of cards...Cribbage and Gin.

Top Bottom