What's new

Favourite board game?

Scrabble but i could never 'play' games for fun, i could only 'compete' to win which just wears you down after awhile so you stop playing. Same with backgammon, that was a staple for a time.
dave

Scrabble.
I play it the way some people play poker.
Use legit words that look bogus so that opponents hesitate to challenge words that I made up.
Also, make up a word and get away with it. Later, when an opponent adds an "S" or "ING" it, you challenge them on it. They lose their turn, but it's too late for you to be penalized for the original bogus word that you put down. :devil2:

"The aMAZEing Labyrinth" from Ravensburger is good for a wide range of ages to play together.
proxy.php

Players can change the tiles around to get their piece to various goals.
A great family game for 2-4 players.

Scrabble.
Use legit words that look bogus so that opponents hesitate to challenge words that I made up.
Also, make up a word and get away with it. Later, when an opponent adds an "S" or "ING" it, you challenge them on it. They lose their turn, but it's too late for you to be penalized for the original bogus word that you put down. :devil2:

Love it!
dave

Scrabble.

That's genius!

Scrabble but i could never 'play' games for fun, i could only 'compete' to win which just wears you down after awhile so you stop playing. Same with backgammon, that was a staple for a time.

So, similar deal with me. But over the last few years, with the nuclear family, I’ve gotten fond of cooperative board games where the players all win or lose together. My favorite is Pandemic. Highly recommended. Relatively short games, never the same twice, fun sense of drama (if you don’t mind watching the world die a horrible death when you all fail . . .)

I would struggle with the team, cooperative element. My sister and her family for years Friday night was set aside for games playing, when all-family get togethers would be held they'd arrive with a stack of board games, never understood. There was no social element for me within the game play, the only purpose, my entire focus, was on winning, beating up the foe whoever it was, sickness.
dave

Haven't played many board games. When I was a kid we mostly played checkers and a unofficial version of Monopoly that ended when we got bored. I liked Chess, but there wasn't many people to play with.
Scrabble.

"The aMAZEing Labyrinth" from Ravensburger is good for a wide range of ages to play together.
proxy.php

Never played a full game of Scrabble. You just made it sound a lot more fun though!!!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Scrabble.

Truly bad. I love it.

I play a mean game of Scrabble. I learn all the little words. There are websites teaching two and three and four letter words. All of them. Seriously helpful.

I love the poker Scrabble idea.

Another favorite is Monopoly. Played 100% by the rules it's a terrific and fast enough game; I play only that way & with people who understand how to win as well as it can be understood. There are books on the game and they're worth reading. Some people (not me) play for real money. It's a killer game.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Truly bad. I love it.

I play a mean game of Scrabble. I learn all the little words. There are websites teaching two and three and four letter words. All of them. Seriously helpful.

I love the poker Scrabble idea.

Another favorite is Monopoly. Played 100% by the rules it's a terrific and fast enough game; I play only that way & with people who understand how to win as well as it can be understood. There are books on the game and they're worth reading. Some people (not me) play for real money. It's a killer game.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Don't forget to memorize all the 'Q' words without a 'U', a flipped over letter for a blank...
dave

Monopoly. Loved it so much as a kid, my parents made sure ours got my old game when they were old enough. It was a bit of payback. A cousin had a variation where the banker kept up with everyone's "account," and payments were by "checks." She also had a Certified Deposit option where you stuck the money away for a certain amount of interest for a certain number of turns.

The most popular family games were a tie between checkers and Chinese Checkers. The checkers game was a version a grandfather called "pool," where the king could move any distance along the vertical, horizontal, and diagonal, as long as it wasn't blocked by the player's own man, or two of the opponent's men side by side. The longest diagonal he called "The Mason-Dixon Line."

As a family we play a lot of Clue, Monopoly and Risk during Game night which we have on at least 2 nights a month.

I taught both my kids to play Chess, so the 3 of us play quite often ( my wife doesn't enjoy it).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Scrabble.

proxy.php

Thanks for that suggestion. Just ordered labyrinth

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rusty:
proxy.php
If the Mrs. and I have a favorite board game...it's got to be Monopoly. :thumbsup:

monoply-2-jpg.844249
monoply-1-jpg.844235

But for vintage & nostalgia game...we love playing 'GO' (a board game of world travel). :thumbsup:

proxy.php

Read More: Waddingtons 'Go' - International Travel Game

proxy.php
"[Monopoly] is game which requires both luck and skill. Luck keeps the game interesting, but skillful play will always be rewarded". Paul Magriel

Last edited:
So, similar deal with me. But over the last few years, with the nuclear family, I’ve gotten fond of cooperative board games where the players all win or lose together. My favorite is Pandemic. Highly recommended. Relatively short games, never the same twice, fun sense of drama (if you don’t mind watching the world die a horrible death when you all fail . . .)

+1

We got into cooperative games when kids were younger - fewer issues with someone not getting to win, etc.

The later “seasons” of Pandemic are also a lot of fun if you can stomach playing the season only once. (Lots of marking up the board, tearing up cards, etc.)

Castle Panic was another good cooperative game that younger kids could pick up. Ticket to Ride has also been a fun family game.

Not a board game, but Yahtzee was always fun for a group. Especially since my brothers and I would end up fighting after a game of Monopoly.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Not a board game, but Yahtzee was always fun for a group. Especially since my brothers and I would end up fighting after a game of Monopoly.
Ken:
That's just too funny.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Never, ever, grab the first good looking play you see. There is often a better move around the corner. Go look for it". Kit Woolsey

Last edited:
Top Bottom