What's new

Favourite blade fail?

So I still consider myself new to the game, so maybe someone with much more experience can help explain this.

I ordered up more of my go to blade (Bolzano) and the shaves I received from them are far from what I expected. They seem almost dull, they feel tuggy like they are not cutting, just not the same. I used to get 6-8 great shaves from them but not now. I tried two different packs, three different razors which I am very comfortable with, strict shave routine that always works. Stumped.. Switched back to Nacet, and Silver Blue, perfect.

Ideas?

don

One cannot rule out a bad batch or even counterfeits. I looked up Bolzano. It appears to be a preferred Italian brand made in Germany. At $34 per 100 it would be more counterfeit-worthy than, say, Derby at less than $10. Not saying that is what happened, only that it is a possibility. Often counterfeit blade packaging has some mysterious misspellings and other irregularities. I cannot see if your two packs are from the same lot. If so, one possibility is to get another tuck cheaply ($0.60) from tryablade and see if they work better. There are some tests you can try. For example, handle a blade from the side and whip its edge against an open newspaper. See how clean and deep it cuts. Then try the same with another blade and see if you get a different cut.

While you are wondering, read this recent post involving the same product.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/469891-Bolzano-Superinox-Inossidabile
Personally I never noticed a lot of difference among blades. The only German-made one I have tried is Merkur. I did not find them bad, just did not find them particularly good either. I perceived nothing about them to justify the price premium. If other blades are working, use them. I cannot give any answer as to why you perceived no problem with Bolanzo before. Did you become particularly accustomed to something else in the interim? Any changes of technique? Lathering product? Preparation? Some people have reported surprisingly different results, often positive, if they lay off a certain brand for a while and then return to it.

Thanks all for the input. I think ill put them aside for a bit and come back. Could be me but do not think so, but go to my other faves and try again latter..

That is kinda strange that you didn't get good results from Bolzano blades. The few I've used were nothing short of amazing. I'd call fake on your recent blades, IMHO.

Top Bottom