• Leather

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Bracelet - Type

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Canvas

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just curious what everyone's favorite type of watch band is. I used to shy away from rubber/silicone bands, but have recently found them to be very comfortable. Personally, I've never really been crazy about metal bracelets, and I've never had a NATO band. So...if you were going to build your single, perfect watch...what type of band would you use for it? Assuming that you do plan to frequently WEAR said perfect piece, not lock it away in a display case for special occasions only. :)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
This watch is my favorite. Solar/Atomic.
However, my father saw it one day and I have not been able to get it from him. Yesterday one of my flashlights went home with him.
The 1st photo is off Amazon. I changed bands on “dad’s” and it sports an orange band to match the watch.
39F7E957-4497-4FA7-B470-FB4E6128E8B9.png

C806CC34-857B-44CB-8D46-36ABC5C67B6D.jpeg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Leather for most of the year. During the warmer months, I switch to either silicones or NATO-style nylons on my sportier watches. I've had good experiences with Barton for their RAF style NATO straps, and Strapsco for their wide assortment of silicones. Straps from BluShark and Crown & Buckle are also very appealing, though a bit more expensive.

I generally eschew metal bracelets in favor of leather, though I do have one watch--a Citizen AW7020-51E--whose brushed steel bracelet I really like. Nonetheless, I'm eyeing something in leather as a change of pace.

One more thing: I always outfit my leather straps with deployant buckles. Allows the straps to last much, much longer.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Metal, leather, or plastic/rubber/silicone for me.

I can't abide canvas straps, and have avoided the NATO type for that reason too. They irritate me a lot more than the first three, both new/clean, and after some use too, once they've picked up some sweat and detritus.

When I was more active in life, I dispensed with wrist watches altogether, and either had a pocket watch or a belt fob watch. In any active setting, my wrist would be irritated very easily/quickly by any kind of wrist watch.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Most of mine are on stainless bracelets, though I've a couple on leather straps (deployant buckles except the Pam). The Panerai just looks wrong on a bracelet. I have a couple NATO's but they aren't at present mounted on anything. The rubber/silicone are my least favorite. I wear a watch almost 4/7, save for avoiding the water when wearing leather.

My Omega Seamaster, Tag and one Citizen are on their included SS bracelet.

Most of my others are on NATO straps. A few Seikos, Swiss Army/Victorinox, Citizens, Casios and a Vostok.

funny how low the votes for NATO are. They are super popular on watch forums.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Metal band on my wrist - Titanium is the best, but most of mine have a SS bracelet or have a PVD coated SS bracelet. Titanium does not give me any issues. Leather does not last very long as I sweat a bit. The worst for me are rubber bands, can only wear them a few days, but then my wrist is red and sore - guess also a sweat related issue.

funny how low the votes for NATO are. They are super popular on watch forums.

I've noticed that as well. It's almost like the default band when people swap out the original band. For me, you need to have a watch that complements the NATO band, instead of putting it on any old watch. YMMV.

Almost all my watches are on leather or leather/canvas. I think I only have one or two on NATO straps. This number does not include my "sport" watches - a DW-5600 and a Garmin - both of which are on stock bands.

Legion

Staff member
Most of my watches are on some sort of nato strap. A pin in my Omega bracelet fell out, and while I was waiting to get it repaired I put a nato strap on. I found it really comfortable, and never looked back.

In Australia a leather strap can really only be worn in winter, and I hate the feel of rubber straps.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I much prefer a bracelet style band then I would go for leather. It depends on the watch that I am wearing at the time as well. My grandfathers 1930’s Omega looks great on a leather band but I think it would look ridiculous on a bracelet.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’ve been wearing the same Swiss Army my wife got me when we first met way back when. Worn through several straps, always leather, tan or brown. Love how it ages over the years, also how a new strap makes the watch look new again. Can’t say the same for me.

This question is too difficult to answer. Yesterday wore a Nato and today was a Rubber strap. I selected Leather in the poll because it is the material that I find most comfortable and most versatile in general.

I have a love/hate with bracelets. They can be great choice to counter balance heavy watches and in sweaty conditions but are so difficult to get adjustment just right. Many nice watches that come on metal bracelets don't have the right combination of full and half lengths to get the sizing just right, and even more do not have any on-the-fly microadjuster. A fit that is perfect in July does not feel comfortable in January. A comfortable fit at the beach becomes too sloppy when back in air conditioning. So while I like bracelets, I usually remove them.

NATO strap, followed by a stainless steel bracelet, followed by leather. NATO straps are super comfortable, and I really enjoy changing the look of the watch so easily; I use most of them on my Orient watches and a Seiko 5 dive watch. Primarily, my NATO straps came from Smart Turnout, Crown & Buckle, and Clockwork Synergy. Although I have not not had any issues with skin irritation from these, I did have those issues with straps I purchased from Brooks Bros. and other similar men's shops. Stainless steel bracelet on a Seiko 5 that is my daily wear watch these days, and leather for a couple of Orients, another Seiko 5, and a Seiko Presage.

Depends on the watch and the season. Usually metal, but I have a nato on one for the entire summer. But I modify it so it is a single strap long. They used sell single strap nylon bands and I think they were called Zulus. But if you search that term you really only get natos as the result these days. In the winter the nato gets replaced by a mesh strap.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I have been wearing this watch with a silicone band for over a year almost exclusively and love it. I have considered switching it for a NATO band recently and probably will sooner or later just for the added security they provide. If one of your band rods fails with pretty much any other band type you are likely to lose your watch. The NATO band prevents that barring a failure of both rods which isn't as likely as one going out.

Top Bottom