What's new

Favorite Vintage Gillette DE - Summer 2022

I have sold some of the more rare vintage razors but still have my Rocket, a few SSs and just bought a very nice FB (I’ve sold 2 previous FBs but will be putting this one away for my grandson) but my 1955 Red Tip is my favorite vintage razor.

It sings, the sounds are terrific. It is very efficient and with a smooth rather than super sharp blade it is very satisfying to use. I won’t ever sell it.

9C898403-DAF8-4B9B-81D5-F0C907D9C629.jpeg

My favorite by default is my Gillette New Deluxe Criterion (2 piece, Made in England but for French market). It’s the only one I’ve used so far. I got it at a flea market in France in it’s original case and everything for €20…. I had no idea how good of a deal I got until later. I bought it on a whim because I thought it was neat; I was actually hunting for straight razors and stumbled upon it.

I love all things vintage Gillette, and I've been busy collecting as many razors as I can. The two photos below show a slice of my current collection, but there are many more not shown (lots of Super Speeds and Techs and about half a dozen Slims and five or so Fatboys). The first photo focuses mostly on the TTO razors in my collection. The second focuses on the three-piece razors.
PXL_20220718_142611718.jpg

PXL_20220718_143949415.jpg

I've got at least one of every major type. The Tuckaway shown in the second photo (partially obscured) is my only NEW Improved type. I've shaved at least once with most of the pictured razors. The notable exceptions are the Toggle and the Gold Adjustable (which I purchased as NOS in its original blister pack). I have been surprised at the generally great shave that they all provide. The open comb razors are definitely different from the later closed comb variants. If I had to narrow the list to three from among the ones I've tried, the list in no particular order is:

• My heavily repaired 1918 OLD type Army Issue shown on the left in the second photo is a favorite because it is so well used and loved. This one was the subject of my first post on B&B (link). It also still shaves great, albeit a little aggressively. I've only used it once, but my skills have improved since then so it may be time to take it out again.
  • I really like the 1958 D3 Executive shown in the left rack in the first photo because it combines the fat handle of the Fatboy with the heavy knurling used on Slims and Toggles while also providing all that Gillette adjustable goodness. I had Chris Spencer at Back Roads Gold replate it for me, not because it needed it, but because he just does such an amazing job. I also wanted the more durable plating that he applies because I will pass this one down to one of my sons.
  • The 1934 Aristocrat shown far left in the first photo is a favorite for its shear beauty. My example is completely unrestored. I love everything about the way this razor looks but I especially love the barber pole knurling and the doors that completely hide the center bar when they are closed. It has a few light scratch marks in the doors, but it is still a beauty. I also like the razor because of its historic significance as the first commercially sold TTO type by Gillette. The case (not shown) is also in great shape.
  • I know I said three, but I had to give the Lady Gillette and the Knack shown on the bottom right of the first photo an honorable mention. They just shave great, and the long handle makes them super easy to handle.
If you've read this far, you can tell that I'm just a little smitten with these things and that I write too much. Thanks for bearing with me.

Happy shaving!

Last edited:
I have several favorites here lately - my 1920 Single Ring, a '46-'47 Aristocrat, and a nickel plated, pre-war Tech on a fat handle, with the Tech being my absolute favorite (right now). It shaves like a dream when loaded with a Gillette Platinum blade.

We built a new house last year, and I've yet to unpack most of my shaving gear. I unpacked about 5 or 6 Gillettes, and one MMOC. I think I'm just about there, mentally, to tackle the task of unpacking a lot of my razors. Next, will be display shelving and storage, as everything that's unpacked will need to go somewhere.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks to @Cal, I now have a British Flat Bottom Tech. This is the first DE razor I've purchased. I had no real interest in vintage razors but I read Cal's journal and noticed he was pretty much rotating between the FBT and his NEW RFB. That peaked my interest and I was lucky enough to find one.

It showed up yesterday and my first shave with it was very nice. I don't have the experience the collective "you" have, but I am enjoying expanding my wet shaving paradigm.

I think the Tech family are some of my favorites, but then I have great experience with another and boom, there goes my hear. This morning I used a TV Special for the first time in a long time and it was simply delightful.

I have trouble remembering them all but my collection includes a Fatboy, two Super Speeds, an Aristocrat, two ball end Techs, and a flat end Tech. Most are from the 60's but I recall the Aristocrat is from the very late 40's. Favorites are the two ball end Techs buy a country mile. They just work for my beard and skin (light and fair). The Fatboy, which I lucked into a very low price some years ago, is fun but the two Techs are no-brainers and close to the performance of my most used razor - a Feather AS-D2.

The below photo which I borrowed from airmech's post above mine is the model Aristocrat I have. In great shape and has the old box so using it is just an occasional treat.

1659634095892.png

Last edited:
This is one that Phil sent me,

J3 1964 Slim Adjustable
The follow-up to the "Fat Boy".
A great unsung razor that somehow missed all the fanfare.

This is an excellent razor. With Gillette Platinum blades, the Slim Adjustable "checks all the boxes" for a great shave.

This is easy in the sense that I only have one vintage razor. I succumbed to my curiosity and bought a Tech. And luckily for me that turned out to be an English Flat Bottom Tech in a very very good condition. After the first shave it quickly rung up the ladder in the top 3 of my most favourite razors. Maybe even to pole position. Jury is still out.

Best,

Guido

I have tried a couple super speed, a twist and an IKON B1, which should be an ss version of a New but didnt really like any of them.

I am absolutely inlove with my Gillette New Improved. I have 2, one from a bostonian set and one from a tuckaway.

Fantastic in performance, stunning in presentation and extremely comfortable to use.
I would be perfectly happy owning just one new improved (and an Ambassador). All of my other razors are expendable.

Since I got my English flat bottom, fat handle Tech in the beginning of June, my razor rotation have stopped. There is something special about this razor, paired with a sharp blade like Bic CP. No other razor/blade combo I have ever used in my 12 or so years of DE shaving, that gives my this combination of smoothness, efficiency and a lack of irritation. Splashing an alcohol-based AS after a two pass shave with this combo is like splashing water.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Since I got my English flat bottom, fat handle Tech in the beginning of June, my razor rotation have stopped. There is something special about this razor, paired with a sharp blade like Bic CP. No other razor/blade combo I have ever used in my 12 or so years of DE shaving, that gives my this combination of smoothness, efficiency and a lack of irritation. Splashing an alcohol-based AS after a two pass shave with this combo is like splashing water.
I had my second shave with my English Flat Bottom Tech, fat handle yesterday morning. I purposely didn't shave for 2.5 days to see how it would do with longer whiskers. My Claymore Evolution is my only other razor and I've been using it for the last 5 months. The Claymore Evo doesn't seem to care how many days of growth I have.

I was pleasantly surprised. The FBT plowed through the whiskers like they were nothing. Since this is the first DE razor I've purchased, though it came highly recommended, I have zero experience. But I sure love shaving with it.

I had always read that Techs were very mild, too mild for many people, but the FBT is an anomaly, perhaps. I don't know enough to know. I just know, I really love using this razor. When I first picked it up... then again yesterday morning, it feels hmmmmm unimposing... the word "toy" popped up in my brain. It's so light and has that short handle. But when I start using it, those thoughts fade and I enjoy every stroke. It really is a joy to use.

I have a couple different brands of blades to use, based again on the recommendations here on B&B. @Cal recommended I start with a King C Gillette blade. Sounded good to me. It's very smooth and sharp for me.

8_6_2022ReSized.jpg

Top Bottom