What's new

Favorite vehicle(s) you've ever owned? And why.

I've only ever owned 1, but I've had 3 (previous two were hand-me-down family cars). It's a 2013 Fiat 500 Sport, had 35k miles when I bought it 2 years ago, and now has 66k miles of trouble free motoring.

I fully intend to drive this one until it bricks itself or rots out from the NYS winters. Only have a 5 year loan on it, so only 3 to go!
View attachment 941669
How does that handle the rough NYS winters? Im just south of you in NJ btw.

2007 Jeep Wrangler (2 door). Gas mileage isn't great, but it's a go-anywhere vehicle. Also, wife can't drive it because she's too short to reach the pedals

I purchased this 69 Road Runner 426 Hemi in 69 and 3 months later reported for the draft. I rolled the dice after finding out I was assigned an 11B MOS and headed for RVN. and kept this car in Dad's garage and he looked after it for me. Somehow made it out of the service in 1970. On May 1st. 1971 I married the girl I was dating before I got drafted. First child came along in 1974 and it was time to part company. My wife had to drag me out of it.We had a lot of fun in this car, not to mention it was fast. Looking at this pic. brings back many fond memories.
View attachment 941493

I've had a bunch of '69 Roadrunners. One was a Jamaica blue, white bucket seat 4 speed Hemi car. I don't have a pic of that one. Last I heard, it was in a museum out west.

A couple 440-6bbl cars. This one was a "clone" that I raced it back in the 70's and early 80's.

proxy.php

This one was a real A12 Roadrunner. 440 6bbl engine with an automatic. Drove this one all over the place, even made the cover of a magazine once. I sold it about five years ago, having owned it for about 30 years.

proxy.php

Also had this 383 Roadrunner in the eighties. Parked next to my A12.

proxy.php

The current cars have become real favorites too. I've got a bunch of work in these two.

'65 Plymouth Barracuda.
proxy.php

proxy.php

'70 Chrysler 300.

proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The current cars have become real favorites too. I've got a bunch of work in these two.

'65 Plymouth Barracuda.
proxy.php

proxy.php

'70 Chrysler 300.

proxy.php
I remember visiting my grandmother’s sister- she had a 65. I never thought much of it, other than it kind of looked funky. To know then what I know now.

On edit: can you imagine the cost of replacing that rear window?

I remember visiting my grandmother’s sister- she had a 65. I never thought much of it, other than it kind of looked funky. To know then what I know now.

On edit: can you imagine the cost of replacing that rear window?
\

I had the window out so I could replace the headliner and that's when you realize what a big piece of glass it really is. I can swap a windshield by myself, but you don't handle that back window alone.

The back window was the largest piece of automotive glass ever produced at the time. It's funny, but there's a lot of used rear windows available, usually under $300, and I've seen them as low as $150.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
\

I had the window out so I could replace the headliner and that's when you realize what a big piece of glass it really is. I can swap a windshield by myself, but you don't handle that back window alone.

The back window was the largest piece of automotive glass ever produced at the time. It's funny, but there's a lot of used rear windows available, usually under $300, and I've seen them as low as $150.
Wow, cheaper than I would have thought.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
'41 Willys Jeep. Army surplus. No windshield. No top. No seats. Used two 5 gallon buckets and a 2x12 for a true 'bench seat'. Swapped the 4 cyl out for a 225 V6 and that little thing could climb just about anything that you put in front of it. We still have it down on the ranch in S. Texas and it still goes.

How does that handle the rough NYS winters? Im just south of you in NJ btw.
Compared to my old 1998 VW Jetta, like it's on rails. Traction control and anti-lock brakes are a godsend!
Compared to my dad's 2011 VW Tiguan, like the brand new tires are totally bald.

I was used to an older car with no electronic nannies, so sometimes I just turn the ESC off and deal on my own. But as long as you're not doing anything crazy it's just fine.

2003 BMW E39 M5 with S2 Dinan conversion. Not as cool looking as some of the cars I have seen on this thread but a stealthy high performance sedan both in a straight line and in the corners. Best car I've ever owned.

I have 2 favorites:

The 1986 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL, the big W126 platform that appeared in lots of '80s and early '90s movies. Metallic grey over light grey, 201 hp, with a power rear seat (!), I purchased it in May of 1999 and drove it all over eastern Colorado for the next 2.5 years, then down here to The Swamp. (If it had been human, it would have been complaining about the climate and the streets. Oh, wait; that was me.) I drove it here for 3 more years. It was totaled while parked at my work: Each body panel and wheel on the driver's side was scarred and dented . . . but the doors still opened and closed without issue and the car still drove fine. If I'd had the money I'd have had it repaired. I still want another one.

Second was the 2003 Buick Park Avenue, the big midrange sedan with everything but the turbocharged engine, charcoal grey over cream w/ chrome factory wheels, 205 hp, 30 mpg highway at 65 mph on regular. It was starting to develop some rattles in late 2013 at a little over 100K miles, rattles which wouldn't have mattered much if they paved all the streets here. So I traded for the 2011 Regal, which has been great. But I'd buy another excellent-condition PA in a second. (Here, though, the ones I see are all tired-looking and unkempt, like a long-haired cat whose family doesn't bother to groom him. A crying shame.)

I had an '88 VW Quantum GL5 exactly like the one below. It always started, returned 27/33MPG (city/hwy) consistently, needed only water pump replacement over the 5 years I owned it, was built like a vault, terrific in snow, had great A/C, handled & stopped well, was quiet at highway speed, and fit me perfectly. It used the Audi 2.2L 5-cyl. and mine had a 5-speed too. Not the most exciting car I've owned but definitely the first one that came to mind fitting this thread.

proxy.php

In 1978 I was on my way to Naval Nuclear Power School and 'needed' a car to drive cross country. What better way than a new Fiat X1/9. This image is pretty darn close; my binder of photos was lost along the paths of life. The car really couldn't get out of its own way at 70mph highway speeds unless you started your roll up a 1/4 mile or more before a pass. Yet, get out on coastal roads or winding through mountains you'd find a day full of fun.

When I was stationed shipboard I left the car with my parents and let my Sister learn how to drive with it. Five or six years later the car was mine again and I drove it until a girlfriend said we needed a more practical car to work from.

(This was my one big lesson from life. Keep the CAR. Don't ever let a woman come between you and your car; the car will be there for you down the road!)

1978_Fiat_X1.9_in_white,_rear_left.jpg

A 1997 BMW M3.

I bought it in 1999 new and got a great deal. It is still a better handling car than any I’ve ever driven. The only issue with it was that, with even the slightest bit of snow, it became a sled on the roads. It improved some with winter tires, but as I live in Ohio, I’ve stuck with AWD since then.

1969 Chrysler 300 Convertible with optional "TNT" 375HP/440 V8

It was glorious to drive, offered stump-pulling acceleration for its size and weight and the 440 V8 and 727 Torqueflite transmission seemed bullet proof.

We kept the car from 1976 to 2006. Went on our honeymoon in it. Brought children home from the hospital in it. Later it became a scarce "collectiible," later to be featured in some collectible car coffee table books from Publications International. I didn't seek to have it included in a book. They sought me out because I had the car. I was on my lunch hour, munching a sandwich just behind the photographer when he took this photograph while doing the shoot for the publisher. Stayed up half of a cold February night preparing the car for the shoot which was done outside of Glen Rose, Texas the next day.

A very early spring outing on a warm afternoon with the top down when our family was young.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
My favorite is this cruiser, a 1988 FJ62.
A67925A4-3486-4AE3-89A5-258649965E6A.jpeg
I don’t get to drive it as much as I’d like but it’s always there when I need it.

I owned a BMW 328i for a while after school. Navy exterior and tan leather interior. I loved that car. Got married, had kids, and the the wife told me the fun ride had to go to make room for a "kid friendly" car. Still miss her (the car, that is).

Top Bottom