What's new

Favorite TV chefs?

I used to love Julia's shows. She knew how to wing it. No lack of confidence there.

Anthony Bourdain is a great guy. I love to watch his shows. He has great taste in t-shirts (the Ramones), and cigarettes (Marlboro red).

Julia Child, of course.

Though I'm a huge fan of Donald Wressell who shows up on the Food Network now and then and won the Coupe du Monde in Lyon a few years back. Admission: he's married to my cousin and is a hell of a guy. It's a privilege to hang out with him.

Another incredible chef is Sherry Yard. James Beard award winning pastry chef for Spago. Incredibly cool person and nothing short of amazing in the kitchen.

theres this spanish chef that has his local show here called carlos Arguiñano, he´s either very cheerful or seems to consume large ammounts of alcohol before going on air,

i was watching good eats the other day and my brother looks at if for a second and just blurts out : you know that guy is deranged, no ?

M.Mario. Spot on Italian cooking done simply and authentic. Alton, because he helps a great deal to understand the science also he never fails to point out which methods are considered the classics and why. Neat stuff.

Gordon Ramsay>>>>SNIP

My wife is nearly fanatical about Hell's Kitchen and I've watched a few shows. I can't believe nobody has caved his face in yet. He's either schizo or he's a hell of an actor.

SNIP<<<Jamie Oliver

I haven't seen a cooking show by him, but his cook books are fantastic.

Julia Child, of course.

I would agree, but her voice was akin to fingernails on a chalkboard, and as abrasive as a screaming Beagle.

For me it's a toss-up; Alton Brown or the folks at America's Test Kitchen.

Alton is great at providing explanations of the 'why,' while ATK provides a lot of useful 'here's how it's done.'

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
As opposed to listening to them, I try to watch the chefs. They'll say "add a cup of diced onion to your pan" and will hold up a cup of prepped onion. Jacques Pepin will grab an onion and a paring knife, peel and dice it, and add it to the pan while he's telling you "sautee some onion". He prepares the food in real time, which makes him the most enjoyable to watch for me.

proxy.php

+1 for Justin Wilson. My dad knew the man and he was a great a human as you could find.

Ivarr

Even though he really does no cooking on his show, I like Anthony Bourdain.

For a chef that needs his own show, my vote would be for Wiley Dufresne

As opposed to listening to them, I try to watch the chefs. They'll say "add a cup of diced onion to your pan" and will hold up a cup of prepped onion. Jacques Pepin will grab an onion and a paring knife, peel and dice it, and add it to the pan while he's telling you "sautee some onion". He prepares the food in real time, which makes him the most enjoyable to watch for me.
Sara Moulton did Cooking at Home where she had a real person on the phone cooking the same dish at the same time while Sara was cooking on the show. This does Jacques' one better: not only is it real cooking in real time, but something an amateur can do in the same half hour.

I'm actually a big fan of Emeril Lagasse . His "Essence of Emeril" show was great. His new show, not so much.

I also enjoy Alton Brown's "Good Eats", and got to meet with him and chat briefly last year.

I think Jacques Pepin is the all time win though.

Top Bottom