What's new

Favorite travel kit recommendations?

So, I'm packing my kit for a long-awaited vacation/family reunion at the beach. In the interest of packing "lite," I stow away my most pared-down equipment stash--Vision in leather travel pouch, SR101 brush in pill tube as travel case, Nancy Boy travel shave cream, sample of T&H ultimate comfort AS balm, small atomizer of Thayers witch hazel, T&H limes cologne 10ml sample. All in all, a decent, if not spectacular collection--but seriously lacking in variety.

Just before I pull the family truckster out of the driveway with 2 boys and lovely wife aboard, I see the mailman drop a small box in the mailbox. I waffle for a moment on whether to retrieve the mail or get on the road, then decide to get the mail. I'm sorting the junk from the mail as I return to the house. . .

"when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a miniature box full of shave cream samples--oh dear!"

Yes, the box of samples from my friend Kyle had arrived at the most opportune time possible, and in the perfect form factor--a small box, immaculately packed, and jammed with not 1, not 2, but 6 assorted samples of luxurious shave creams--T&H limes, Taylors rose and avocado, and several more that I'd been itching to try.

Needless to say, my vacation kit instantly went from spartan to sybarritic. My first shave was with the Taylors avocado, and it was just as good as all of the reviews I'd been salivating over--excellent as advertised.

And a fun side note: I introduced my oldest nephew to wet shaving! He's a sophomore in HS and a great kid. He's been using an electric and was going to use a Fusion for hist first "real shave" while at our family reunion. I cringed at the thought and offered to let him try his first shave with my Vision, Taylors avocado, my SR101 and a nice after shave. Needless to say, he had a great experience and wants to know more. I promised to bring him a starter kit as a present when i visit next week--here's what I'm thinking (its all in my current backup stock):

razor--Gillette Fat Boy adjustable with a pack of Merkur blades

brush--Omega boar brush

cream & after shave--Chas. Tyrwhitt Lemon & Cedar

I think it will represent a decided improvement on his current "kit"--a Fusion and a can of Edge--yikes.

This leads me to my question: What would your ideal travel kit consist of?

The guidelines: the kit must include the following items--

1. a razor

2. a brush

3. shave cream or soap

4. after shave

Feel free to include a cologne or other items, too.

Looking forward to seeing what you all suggest as the perfect travel kit!

mrob said:
What would your ideal travel kit consist of?

The guidelines: the kit must include the following items--

1. a razor

2. a brush

3. shave cream or soap

4. after shave

Feel free to include a cologne or other items, too.

Looking forward to seeing what you all suggest as the perfect travel kit!
  1. Razor - I would have to pack 2. First, I would bring my slant bar. As a back up, I would have to pack the HD.
  2. Brush - T&H Turnback (I don't have one yet, but it's on the list)
  3. Shave Cream - Sample containers are invaluable. I like to pack a different cream for each day that I'll be gone.
  4. Aftershave - atomizer of Thayer's, Proraso pre/post
  5. Other - Pinaud Shave Talc
I can travel a little bit heavier than the average guy because I don't have to pack a comb, shampoo, or other hair products.

Kyle said:
I can travel a little bit heavier than the average guy because I don't have to pack a comb, shampoo, or other hair products.

The benefits of shaving your head. Also, the wind never messes up your hair. :lol:

I know it may be a little extraneous, but I have done much travelling with the Men-U shave kit, it's about the size of a hardback book. Includes cream (which I happen to like) brush, brush stand, face wash, and moisturizer, with a pocket for a razor, blades, etc. IMHO it rocks.
Or....you can replace any of the items with whatever you like. The kit is small. If you prefer your own dopp kit, there is PLENTY of room for throwing other goodies in there as well, as the bottles from Men-U are small pump bottles.
John P.

Interesting and timely post for me.

See my SOTD post for 30 May.

This is a test drive travel kit for me (4 days on the road). I'm gearing up for a 3-4 week stay overseas around the 12th, so I'll see what I'm missing from this trip and will be sure to re-check this post in the coming weeks.

Kyle said:
Thank you, sir.

KUJO, that is a LONG trip. I would take a whole extra bag for shave goodies.

I'll have to. I'm going to a place where men's shaving and grooming is not encouraged and actually frowned upon (and it ain't Idaho).

Yes that is EXACTLY the kit I have, although I splurged for the synthetic brush, and usually carry it vice the bristle brush in the regular kit. I like the kit a lot. Not because it is stylish (it isn't) but because for me, anyway it works. I even like the way the stuff lathers. Add that it packs VERY well, and it's a no brainer.
If you don't like the way the bag looks, everything can go into your regular kit with plenty of room to spare.
As for razors, anything you like should do. There will be room for it. I have packed a straight with one of Tony Little's Hone-strops, I've packed a gillette adjustable DE with 2 or 3 packs of blades, I've even had a (GASP!) cartridge razor thrown in there. A tube of a cream I particularly like at the moment often also gets thrown in (Musgo Real, Crabtree&Evelyn, Trumper...whatever...just to change things up) But if you bring a cartridge razor, make sure you can get replacement cartridges wherever you are going. DE might be a safer bet if it is overseas. It would suck to have a Fusion handle and the only refills available are for MachIII or Quattro's..... There ALWAYS seems to be DE blades available, on the other hand.....
John P.

I've never seen any store sell a DE blade over here though.....I just bring a straight...no blades needed :) (never pack it in the hand luggage)

Now, now gentlemen. . .its not as though your two cities or university sporting teams are rivals, so let's not behave as though this is some sort of shootout or something.:biggrin:

LX_E,
No DE blades in the stores there? that does suck. Where our friend Kujo is going, however, I have a feeling is a little more arid, maybe a lot of sand, type environment...or maybe Canada...
And you can pack 100 DE blades (in 10 pack cases) in about the space it takes to store a tube of toothpaste....
Not knowing which "non-Idaho" location he is going, I cannot tell any farther what is available locally...
Kujo, you know you could just have fun with your "Grizzly Adams" experiment...its only a few weeks, right?
John P.

Top Bottom