What's new

Favorite Tallow-Based Soap - 2023

Can’t disagree with this.

Hasslinger’s is the only tallow to veggie soap I can think of that I’ve tried that mirrors the other in quality and ease of use. It is indistinguishable to me.

My experience has been that good veggie soaps take a bit longer, or fine tuning the building of the lather to get to the same result as a comparable tallow. But I’ve still always preferred tallows beyond that. 🤷‍♂️

I’m still working with my permanent rotation of tallows until I run out. I haven’t tried reformulations yet except the Hasslinger’s

Mike’s
Speick (14 sticks left, 200g in a container?)
MWF
Hasslinger’s Aloe Vera (3 pucks left)
I Coloniali until it’s gone (mine were/are tallow)

Sterling is phenomenal performance, but really strongly scented for me. Unscented mutton would be the only one I’d buy.

There are plenty of really good tallow artisan soaps, but scent profile/strength and/or price points limit my ability to offer more suggestions.
Isn't Hasslingers Aloe still with tallow? It's the third ingredient but Connaught lists all as palm based.

Isn't Hasslingers Aloe still with tallow? It's the third ingredient but Connaught lists all as palm based.
Interesting. I wonder if the tallow is noticeable.

1685578200969.png

I think you guys must have lucked into some old stock. I have several pucks of Haslinger Aloe in my stash and I just checked - none of them have tallow.

I have 7 Areffa BEAR tallow soaps directly from the Ukraine. Good price including shipping. By far the best shave and I have 250 soaps. Lothur is 2nd best.

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpeg
    IMG_0273.jpeg
    904.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0280.jpeg
    IMG_0280.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0279.jpeg
    IMG_0279.jpeg
    985.4 KB · Views: 22
My two favorite tallow based soaps are Arko and Williams Mug Soap. Sadly, Williams is no longer in production. During OCtober, I tried Hoffman's Jersey Devil and I have to say I was impressed. The lather built easily and provided a nice slick layer between the blade and my face. After a month of use, it looks like the tub should last a good while as well. I will admit I am old school and prefer hard soaps that are inexpensive but there just are not many inexpensive soaps with tallow available anymore. I do enjoy the occasional foray into the world of artisan soaps but thus far, I have not found "the one".

Top Bottom