What's new

Favorite synthetic brushes?

Ive been using it everyday since I got it and like it a lot
Too bad PAA isnt selling this hybrid synth knot by itself.

Right? the knot holds eternal lather! lol It would look amazing in perhaps a blue-ish handle...the gray is very sharp

Perhaps its my system but I'm not flinging any lather as well

Curious as to what soaps you've ran so far.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Right? the knot holds eternal lather! lol It would look amazing in perhaps a blue-ish handle...the gray is very sharp

Perhaps its my system but I'm not flinging any lather as well

Curious as to what soaps you've ran so far.
so far sudsy soapery. tiki. soap smooth. & dr jons.

how about you?

I think that silver would look great in a rubberset 400 handle

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Oh and i forgot van yulay greenman
A most interesting scent sparked up like crazy with the starcraft
Btw that faint strange synth smell on mine is totally gone now

All knots were set by me...
20181104_084633.jpg

#1 24mm APShaveCo Synbad / Shore Shave/Turned Timber by Bill handle
#2 26mm TurnNShave Timberwolf fan / DC Shaving handle
#3 25mm TurnNShave Angel Hair fan / DC Shaving handle
#4 25mm TurnNShave Quartermoon / DC Shaving handle
#5 24mm APShaveCo Cashmere / Wild West handle

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
All knots were set by me...
View attachment 925506
#1 24mm APShaveCo Synbad / Shore Shave/Turned Timber by Bill handle
#2 26mm TurnNShave Timberwolf fan / DC Shaving handle
#3 25mm TurnNShave Angel Hair fan / DC Shaving handle
#4 25mm TurnNShave Quartermoon / DC Shaving handle
#5 24mm APShaveCo Cashmere / Wild West handle
Super nice display!
How does that angel hair work for you?

My favorite is my Stirling 22mm x 51mm li'l brudder, a fine face lathering brush. To be fair it is my only synthetic brush but it is a good one.

Super nice display!
How does that angel hair work for you?

If I had to rank those knots they would probably be in this order...

1. Angel Hair - Soft tips and a little more backbone than the Cashmere. Splay is easily attained and paints without flinging any lather.
2. SynBad - Very similar to the Angel Hair in all aspects but lathers quicker and holds it longer. Almost my #1.
3. Quartermoon - The biggest surprise of all the knots. Very soft tips with yet a little more backbone but not too much. Very much no where near any tuxedo I've ever used!!
4. Cashmere - Was my benchmark standard prior to the Angel Hair but maybe too little in the backbone department. Is the oldest of all these knots and hasn't gotten the love it should lately...
5. Timberwolf - Last because its the newest and haven't had as much time with it yet. Has the same characteristics as the Quartermoon but hasn't lathered as I would expect it to.

If I had to rank those knots they would probably be in this order...

1. Angel Hair - Soft tips and a little more backbone than the Cashmere. Splay is easily attained and paints without flinging any lather.
2. SynBad - Very similar to the Angel Hair in all aspects but lathers quicker and holds it longer. Almost my #1.
3. Quartermoon - The biggest surprise of all the knots. Very soft tips with yet a little more backbone but not too much. Very much no where near any tuxedo I've ever used!!
4. Cashmere - Was my benchmark standard prior to the Angel Hair but maybe too little in the backbone department. Is the oldest of all these knots and hasn't gotten the love it should lately...
5. Timberwolf - Last because its the newest and haven't had as much time with it yet. Has the same characteristics as the Quartermoon but hasn't lathered as I would expect it to.

Nice!

I love the TurnNshave knots! They are all wonderful!!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Anybody try the PAA Starcraft?
Yes
See a few posts above. Its amazing

Next up for me tomorrow is the yaqi moca 24. It arrived today. Very hefty and thicker handle than i realized. Nice weight. Small glue bump. Feels very soft and not much backbone just using it dry.

Yes
See a few posts above. Its amazing

Next up for me tomorrow is the yaqi moca 24. It arrived today. Very hefty and thicker handle than i realized. Nice weight. Small glue bump. Feels very soft and not much backbone just using it dry.
I'll be very interested in how the Moka compares to the PAA Starcraft, since I have the Moka and I'm considering the Starcraft.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I'll be very interested in how the Moka compares to the PAA Starcraft, since I have the Moka and I'm considering the Starcraft.
Apples and oranges in some respects. They are both 24 mm but the starcraft is massive compared to moca both handle and knot. Moca has much less backbone. Im also adjusting to the small handle. My moca also shed about 4 or so hairs. My second yaqi to shed. I know folks here dont report that but two in a row now is annoying. Im accepting it now given how inexpensive these are but quality is lower imho
Starcraft zero shedding. In fairness this was first use so i will use it over the next several days

Apples and oranges in some respects. They are both 24 mm but the starcraft is massive compared to moca both handle and knot. Moca has much less backbone. Im also adjusting to the small handle. My moca also shed about 4 or so hairs. My second yaqi to shed. I know folks here dont report that but two in a row now is annoying. Im accepting it now given how inexpensive these are but quality is lower imho
Starcraft zero shedding. In fairness this was first use so i will use it over the next several days

Rhody, please give an update. Plastic smell fade? What about the glue bump? Splay? Compare to other synthetics?

Thanks!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Rhody, please give an update. Plastic smell fade? What about the glue bump? Splay? Compare to other synthetics?

Thanks!
Yes that plastic smell is long gone. Huge hand filling handle is very comfortable. The loft is like 1.5 inches by my eye it splays so if not careful i get a face full of brush! But its not floppy. But it can fling lather. The bump is about as thick as my index finger but doesn't bother me it has more backbone than the rr beehive but a similar footprint.

Top Bottom