What's new

Favorite summer brews

For most of us in the lower 48 summer is here. With the higher temps it means, at least for me, to focus on the summer brews. Any favorites?

Leinenkugel- Summer Shandy: A gulity pleasure of mine but goes down nice on a hot summer day.

Hoegaarden- Original White Ale: An old favorite. Lite, clean, citrusy.

Goose Island- Summertime: Nice, a bit heavier but refreshing.

Magic Hat- Elder Betty: Hoppy with a bit of berry taste. This is a new one I found and really like it.

Last edited:
I agree with you on the Summer Shandy. It's a very nice brew.

I've passed on Elder Betty a few times so far this year because I usually don't dig the berry brews, but I haven't tried any Magic Hat beer that I didn't like, so I might try it anyway.

One of my favorite summer brews, and it's a love it or hate it beer, is Long Trail's Belgian White. It isn't my favorite Wit, but it's cheap and goes down easy. I find it very refreshing. I live in a small town and my local "general store" stocks this, so availability plays a role in my ranking.

I am a big fan of Franziskaner Hefeweizen for the summer. Well really any time of the year. :001_smile

How would you describe Summer Shandy?

Shiner Ruby Redbeard - amazing just like the Shiner Boch, but with some citrus notes and a very light weight! I've been drinking porters/stouts recently (which doesnt go with summer well) but working 18+ hours a day one is all you really need to get to sleep.

+1 on the Shiner Ruby! I think it's one of their best beers, I like it even better than the bock. A great porch sitting beer.

I am a big fan of Franziskaner Hefeweizen for the summer. Well really any time of the year. :001_smile

How would you describe Summer Shandy?

It's kind of a combination of a traditional pilsnor and lemonaid. Not overly sweet but has that nice refreshing lemon flavor.

It's kind of a combination of a traditional pilsnor and lemonaid. Not overly sweet but has that nice refreshing lemon flavor.

Being from Wisconsin ive had my fair share of Leinenkugel. Their shandy is pretty good. Great on a hot summer day. You can also easily make your own. Just us any pilsner and add a splash of lemonade or sprite(yes I said sprite...its actually pretty good).

Some Summer favorites for me:

New Glarus: Moon Man Pale Ale, Spotted Cow
New Belgium: Sunshine and Somersault
Flying Dog: In Heat Wheat
Goose Island: 312
Avery: White Rascal

Basically I really like pilsners and wheat beers in the summer...there are so many good ones out there.

I really like Red Hook's LongHammer IPA for a summertime brew. Brau Brother's Hop Sessions isn't bad and a multitude of Heffewiezens, Paulaner being my favorite but Millstream's Hefferwiezen from Amana, Iowa is really good too!

I really like Red Hook's LongHammer IPA for a summertime brew. Brau Brother's Hop Sessions isn't bad and a multitude of Heffewiezens, Paulaner being my favorite but Millstream's Hefferwiezen from Amana, Iowa is really good too!

Millstream!....Have you had their Windmill Wheat and Johns White Ale brand. Good stuff! Ill look for their Hefferwizen next time Im at the store i can purchase Millstream.

Well.........Franziskaner, of course!

I was introduced to weissbier about 1980 by friends from Munich. I've enjoyed very many different ones--Tucher, Paulaner, Spaten, Hacker-Pschorr, Schneider Weisse, and the list goes on--but Franziskaner has always had a lightness, a freshness to the taste that's made it my favorite.

Hey, I've got a friend from 'Sconsin that brought me some Spotted Cow. Good stuff, I confess.

In broad strokes, summer time means IPAs, Belgian wits, Hefeweizens, and the like. Now, if I can get a nice, cold stout or porter at the end of the day, it's surprisingly enjoyable - the effect being similar to a milkshake, I guess. Not all stouts like being served that cold; YMMV.

+1 on Pacifico, but minus the salt and lime. Moosehead is also crisp and refreshing in summer. Blue Paddle from New Belgium Brewing Co. if you can find it.

Top Bottom