What's new

Favorite suit?

I've been on a pretty strict diet and workout routine so far this year and I think it might be time to look at picking up a couple of new suits.

I currently wear Ralph Lauren (Lauren). But I'm thinking it might be time to look, around... Any good suggestions on good fitting, looking, and quality tailored suits. And if anyone has any good suggestions on where to look in S.Florida (Palm Beach area) that would be great too.

I think suits are age subjective. I like Hart Schaeffer & Marx, Oxxford and Brooks Brothers. Of course these are off the rack. Custom suits are more desirable and expensive.

Hi Tito,
I am also partial to Lauren suits. I've worn several off the rack labels and Lauren offers the most value for the money. Plus, they are popular enough that retailers keep plenty on hand. This results in pretty massive sales during seasonal transitions. I typially pay no more than $250 for mine. The cuts and colors are classical vs. trendy. I don't expect any of mine to ever go out of style. I am also partial to their sport coats but am much less picky in this area as I typically wear them with jeans.
Cheers,
Jeff

If you are not going custom made, then my favorite is Brooks Brothers. The only problem is that the company tries to adjust its image so often that you cannot always bet on the quality. However, in the past 5 years or so the quality has shot back up to where it belongs. You won't look like a fashion forward person in a BB suit, but you will look more than appropriate.

Edit: They last forever and a day also! So if you are "investing" in a wardrobe, BB is a great choice.

i agree with Justin, when in doubt, Brooks Brothers' suits are very nice looking, classically styled suits.

Okay now that my ears are perked up... What's involved in a custom tailored suit? What & where does one look?

watch out if you go overseas, remember that Mash episode where the suit came back with horizontal stripes ?

I only have a coupld suits...in which they are Brooks and Hart/s/Marx...pretty nice...

mark tssb

S

Sam

Andrew has good taste, and I wish I could afford an Oxxford- every one I see I want is north of $2150. I find that Jack Victor suits are like Brooks Brothers but not cut as pure "sack" type as Brooks Brothers, but not as English either, with the suppressed waist

Sam

This question is nearly impossible to answer without establishing what you are willing to spend. There are so many variables.

Also, what styling do you like? In very general terms, the common cuts are English, American, and Italian. High button stance? Pinched waist? Hand-stitched? Shoulder shape? All things to consider.

I have always wanted to go England for a shopping spree. Thanks for all the imput. I like a clean Classical look nothing flashy I'm not a fashionista at all. I expect to spend $1000 - $1500. But $2100, apparently I have some research I'll have to do. Maybe I don't need to change that badly?

Tito said:
I have always wanted to go England for a shopping spree. Thanks for all the imput. I like a clean Classical look nothing flashy I'm not a fashionista at all. I expect to spend $1000 - $1500. But $2100, apparently I have some research I'll have to do. Maybe I don't need to change that badly?

For what you are looking to spend, you can get a really nice off-the-shelf (OTS) suit and have a tailor alter it for you. It will look great. You may be able to get a made-to-measure (MTM) for that price. But the benefits over OTS will be minimal, IMHO. Go try on some suits, your body type might be perfectly "suited" for one maker's wares.

Tito said:

Do look around the AAAC forums - you will get all kinds of info for clothes as well as for shopping. There are tons of links for high-quality shirt purchases both MTM and bespoke, also all the Hong Kong suit makers, Italian shoes and ties, you name it. You can get some excellent clothes for the prices you are looking at. I found it to be very informative but I don't have the wallet or need to dress that way. Jeans and a polo shirt see me through at work. :tongue_sm

Dennis

In terms of suits I think you get what you pay for. I live in Indiana and here it's pretty hard to find a decent suit. Most stores carry RL but they dont fit me right. I am fit and european cuts look better on me compared to the traditional american boxy cut. The only place I can find suits that fit me well is at Saks Fifth Avenue (european brands, Versace, Zegna, Boss) and as you know they come with a hefty price. This is my experience, other stores have somewhat pretty good cut however they just never have my size.

3 buttons

double breasted

2 buttons

In that order-colors from khaki to black and everything in between. Names don't matter to me, only the fit.

Marty

A lot depends on build and such.

When it comes to suits--I buy mostly the trios from Jos A Banks. They list for $495, and rarely full priced and usually priced at $299 and about twice a year go on sale for $199 which is when I pick them up. The trio is a two piece two button single breasted jacket with a pair of matching pleated suit pants and a patterned coo-ordinated to go with the jacket pant--not too different than garanimals.

Frankly, the trios are not nearly as refined as many suits but they are all wool--they stand up to pretty heavy wear and people rarely turn their nose up as if to say "yuck waht a horrible suit"

A lot depends on build and such.

When it comes to suits--I buy mostly the trios from Jos A Banks. They list for $495, and rarely full priced and usually priced at $299 and about twice a year go on sale for $199 which is when I pick them up. The trio is a two piece three sutton single breasted jacket with a pair of matching pleated suit pants and a patterned coo-ordinated to go with the jacket pant--not too different than garanimals.

Frankly, the trios are not nearly as refined as many suits but they are all wool--they stand up to pretty heavy wear and people rarely turn their nose up as if to say "yuck waht a horrible suit"

I have bought a couple for travel.

Top Bottom