What's new

Favorite suit?

S

Sam

Yes, Jos. A Bank would be a good place to start and for the price, are good deals and good suits. Here is what I do, but you have to remember, as a lawyer, I have been buying suits, shirts, ties and dress shoes for 20 plus years. So I am now not needing clothes, but I will pick up something as I WANT it. Go to about the best men's store you can find. Tell the salesman that you are starting out, and tell him what suits you own. Tell him you can not afford to pay full retail and give him an idea of your budget. Tell him you can wait until after Christmas for the big sales. Locally, our two men's stores have their best sales mid-January. For example, I bought a Hugo Boss suit, which is flat front and with the two side vents and very slim cut (though I am not so slim, more athletic but I went up a size and tailored it down). Usually would be over $1000 and I got it for $200. But see, I can wait until the next sale if I have to. I will find Robert Talbott and Brioni ties that go for over $135 down as little as $25 or so. I go to Nashville around that time and will shop there as well.

But if you can wait, tell the salesman to call you when he gets an exceptional deal. Tell him you will get the suit and would like a nice shirt and tie to go with it if the savings are there. Tell him you would like to start doing business at the store, and until your resources build up, price is more of a factor. That Hugo Boss, one salesman at the store held it out for me, even though I do not use him, but one of his associates, and he knows that if something happens, I would use him. I seldom pay full price for a suit anymore as I go when they have their sales. I will get one 25% off at times, but usually, I hit it when they are at least 50% off. One of these days, I'll get an Oxxford or Zegna.

Currently in my suit rotation are the following:

3 Hart, Schaffner & Marx
1 Brooks Brothers (brooksease collection)
1 Brooks Brothers (Golden Fleece collection)
1 Ralph Lauren Purple Label
1 Hart, Schaffner & Marx Tuxedo

Sportcoats for dress-down days:
1 Oxxford Houndstooth (my favorite to wear, ever. best possible quality I've ever felt in a coat)
1 Hart, Schaffner & Marx
& a few no-name brands I've found just shopping around.

(I've got so many H, S & M from their annual sales, the NY store ALWAYS has good deals going)

(I've got so many H, S & M from their annual sales, the NY store ALWAYS has good deals going)

! I'll have to look into that. I have a blazer from them (the obigatory blue, although relabed for the local men's store I bought it from, and with pewter buttons, because I can't stand the gold ones). It is really very nice quality. It might not be a bad choice for a new suit. Which I desperately need.

-Mo

! I'll have to look into that. I have a blazer from them (the obigatory blue, although relabed for the local men's store I bought it from, and with pewter buttons, because I can't stand the gold ones). It is really very nice quality. It might not be a bad choice for a new suit. Which I desperately need.

-Mo

I love the quality of their suits. It's nothing high end, but they're great workhorse/everyday suits. Sometimes I wish I lived on the east coast, so there was use for 3 piece suits. What I am lacking in is trousers with suspender buttons.

Has anyone shopped at a Brooks Brothers outlet store? They have a store about 15-20 miles from me, so I am wondering if it would be worth the drive?
Cheers, DJ.

Has anyone shopped at a Brooks Brothers outlet store? They have a store about 15-20 miles from me, so I am wondering if it would be worth the drive?
Cheers, DJ.

Yep, they usually have decent stuff there, and very capable tailors.

Not to mention, the Royall Fragrance/AS line at steep discounts. :thumbup1:

Thanks Joe, I will check it out. How are you liking those olive oil soaps?
Cheers, DJ.

So Far, they've been good to me. I've used the Italian soap on the face, the Greek on the body. The Greek has the most "pleasing" scent of them all. But I enjoy the organic smell of the olive oil in all of them. As far as skincare is concerned, they are superb. :thumbup:

S

Sam

Cheers, DJ.

I have not been impressed with the suit savings at an outlet store. They have one in Nashville and one in Destin, FLa

Sam

As a lawyer I am pretty particular about my suits....

I use a custom tailor that travels the country to measure you so a prefect fit happens everytime.

The prices and materials are awesome. I typically get my suits for around 600 and that is with a fantastic threadcount/quality and a perfect custom fit. Also, they finish their suits better than off the rack....they add lining to the jacket and extra material in the pant cuff (to prevent it from fraying on your shoe). They are just nicer in every aspect. I believe the same suit off the rack would cost about 1200 to 1500....and you would need it altered (and still no guarantee of a perfect fit). They have more expensive materials and less expensive to fit your budget and needs. I highly suggest calling for an appointment when they are in your city. Order one suit and see for yourself....I get almost all my stuff from them now.

Goto this website and if you have any questions....send me a pm.

http://www.samstailorsusa.com/home.html

I have been a customer of theirs since my days in lawschool (10 years ago) and my father has been a customer for about 15 years.

Top Bottom