What's new

Favorite Straight Razor Grind

I like them all....

But I do love my 71. It’s special. I only wish it wasn’t a round point, and I refuse to mod it.

Thank you Andy!!!
I am seriously considering a Koraat to expand my shaving horizons. I have looked at literally 100's of them in pictures. Your choice of options is simply stunning to look at. They say plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery so I hope it would be ok with you if I flatter you and choose many of the same options.

Before I pull the trigger, are there any choices you made you wish you had chose differently? 8/8ths width? Full hollow with the belly grind? The scales? The metalwork choices, blade shape? I seem to like the whole thing. Just want to check and see if any of your choices have given you second thoughts.

I have a couple Koraats. Both are belliec grind full hollow. Both are excellent
Just ordered a third. Went with a half hollow this time...just because I guess. 7/8, thumb notch, cocobolo, French Schorkopf....Ulrik will make you a great razor no matter the configuration.

I am seriously considering a Koraat to expand my shaving horizons. I have looked at literally 100's of them in pictures. Your choice of options is simply stunning to look at. They say plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery so I hope it would be ok with you if I flatter you and choose many of the same options.

Before I pull the trigger, are there any choices you made you wish you had chose differently? 8/8ths width? Full hollow with the belly grind? The scales? The metalwork choices, blade shape? I seem to like the whole thing. Just want to check and see if any of your choices have given you second thoughts.

Thank you Sir!!!
TBH I would not change a thing, I love using mine it fits my style of shaving and seeing it is an 8/8th it is very nimble.

I have a couple Koraats. Both are belliec grind full hollow. Both are excellent
Just ordered a third. Went with a half hollow this time...just because I guess. 7/8, thumb notch, cocobolo, French Schorkopf....Ulrik will make you a great razor no matter the configuration.

Amen to that. He puts a wickedly sharp edge on them too!

Last edited:
I have 3 and this one is the newest. I really like this one. It is a 7/8 full hollow bellied grind. I prefer the barbers notch point. The width is a matter of preference. As previously mentioned, you can't go wrong with any of his razors. I also like the wood scales on this one. I have giraffe bond and another wood but this one I really like. If you have any questions, send Urlik your questions, he's fantastic to deal with.
fdb8x9CNQEq3JJ+9rQB47A.jpg

C86B4DAE-CAB9-4658-A642-D235F85CF261.jpeg
A3D7334A-4AA4-44C4-9960-B5A5EF1FF00D.jpeg

Here are the Koraat Kids. All are 7/8. #3 French schorkopf point with cocobolo scales is currently under construction. I will go out on a limb and say Ulrik Beyer, Brian Brown, and Ralf Aust are making the best razors in today’s contemporary marketplace....period.
0705C3EF-2772-4EB6-93E4-6A94370D71FF.jpeg

Thank you gentlemen for posting your Koraats . I'm probably going to put in an order as soon as I can whittle the choices down to an acceptable group. You probably already know this, but, the more choices you are offered, sometimes it makes a choice more difficult. Unlike many, I don't suffer from paralysis when faced with a large group of great choices. I don't have that failing. What I do is usually end up with an entire collection of things when I started out only wanting one. Since this is all for fun, there isn't a shred of guilt. When something brings a little sunshine to your life, you can get a bunch with no downside.

On my heavy stubble, I need a heavier grind 1/2 to 1/4. The full
hollow grind wants to "skip" way too much, and it is not comfortable at all.
The weight helps me also. I know exactly what kind of pressure to use with a heavy unforgiving blade. My issue has been not knowing how much give the full hollows allow and not getting as close as I probably could. I should probably just stick to one full hollow for a while to get the perfect feel. But I still really enjoy my heavier razors.

I'm also in the 1/4 grind camp. With the 1/4 grind I can do nice easy strokes from top to bottom, then bottom to top. With the full hollow I have to do many small strokes, and the feeling isn't as butter-knife smooth as the 1/4. I'm a fan of Jerry Stark's work.
fullsizeoutput_1a5f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1a60.jpeg

For those of you that have a favorite straight razor or a couple of razors that get more use than others.
What grind are these razors?
Do you inadvertently prefer this type of grind more than others?
I tend to use my Grelots (71's) more than the others at this point.
Over the years I have always preferred a slightly heavier grind than a full hollow with a belly. Technically a 1/2 hollow (a full hollow but no belly) or something like the Grelot 71's which are full hollow with a belly but with a much heavier profile than the incredibly thin full hollow German grinds.
Probably why they are so respected as great shavers being a little stiffer but still a good hollow none the less.
Just curious.
I agree,i also get on well with my TIs a bit stiffer.

Top Bottom