What's new

Favorite store bought ground coffee

I use a hybrid mixture of 2 parts eight o'clock original to 1 part kirkland espresso roast (costco brand, apparently made/roasted by starbucks). Mix the beans in the grinder and grind them down to make an excellent cup of coffee.

Starbucks House Blend, Starbucks Gold Coast Blend, and Seattle's Best #4 are very good IMHO. My wife also likes Yuban.

If I can't get (or afford) Starbuck's Verona, my next choice is Folger's Black Silk. Out of the cheaper brands, it is the best I've found. Eight O'Clock 100% Columbian isn't bad, either.

$stw.png

Stewart's Coffee, a local Chicago brand that has been around since 1913.
It still comes in a metal can that you need a can-opener to open (unlike the plastic jugs with the foil tops). Each can comes with it's own little measuring scoop--a nice touch.
The coffee is very smooth, with no bitterness.
A friend who now lives out of state buys this on Amazon.

Last edited:
I tried maxwell house and thought it was really good

I also tried cafe Bustelo and it was good also

I've tried a lot of coffee, including independent and local roasters and all that jazz and encountered some snobbery along the way, and while they're all good, Caribou just hits all the right notes for me. I prefer whole bean but ground is good too. I have yet to find a better tasting all-around coffee. Though there's still a lot to try....

Nabob Breakfast Blend, Tim Hortons, McDonald's, Starbucks Kati Kati, all brewed in my Cuisinart percolator. Part of my morning routine.

These are my store bought brands I "rotate," in no particular order.

Yuban Original
Kirklands Columbian
Maxwell House French Roast
Community Dark Roast

Lately, I've been drinking Beaumont brand ground coffee. I get it from Aldi, because the instant I've been buying there for years has been in short supply lately.

I resurrected an old Mr. Coffee automatic drip machine I had in the garage, cleaned it out with vinegar, and put it to work. It took a few days of experimentation until I got the water/coffee ratio dialed in, but since then, its good to wake up to the smell of coffee in the morning.

Taste wise, this stuff is a downgrade from their instant brand ... maybe I need to use more coffee. I was also disappointed in how long a can lasts. With the instant, I could go two weeks on a $2.99, 8oz. jar. With the ground coffee, an $2.99, 11.3oz can lasted me 6 days. Yesterday, I bought a 33oz can for $5.49, so hopefully, I can get more time between having to re-purchase it again.

My weekday ground coffee is Community Dark Roast. On the weekends the wife and I use Community Private Reserve whole bean.

Peets Major Dickason Whole bean. Good stuff! Last year's Peets anniversary coffee was out of this world. Purple bag. I wish, that whatever that was, was available all year.

Wegmans Organic Sumatra whole bean. The bag I got last week is fresh as can be, beans have a nice oil sheen to them, and it made one heck of a "pot" (2 of my mugs) of French Press Sunday morning :)

Both available at Wegmans. And since I'll run there to get good coffee, that is store bought :)

We have a "fingerlakes coffee roasters" here, but its out of the way enough that I'll buy what Wegmans offers :)

Top Bottom