What's new

Favorite Soaps/Creams to Use w/ Straight As Opposed to DE?

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a change in their preference for soaps/creams they use with their straight as opposed to soaps/creams they like to use (if) they use a DE.

I don't think there's much argument that a straight shaves noticeably closer than a DE, atleast mine sure as hell does. In my mind, it makes sense to choose a shaving medium that's a bit more protective than something that simply "gets the job done" when shaving with a double-edge.

In this case, tallow-based soaps really do the trick for me. Sure, I was a tallow lover when I shaved with a DE, but that's become even more true since switching over. Glycerin soaps are fine and dandy and work great, but tallow gives me that extra protection and lubrication I love/need when holding an open blade to my neck.

And the winner is...

Tabac :biggrin:

Have you noticed any difference? If so, what're your favorites?

I have significantly gravitated towards tallow soaps. Speick, Arko, Tabac, and MWF get a lot of use. I'm pretty happy with the MB and every once in awhile Conks Almond. My C&E soaps sit bored and neglected. My TOBS Rose and Avocado and Proraso only get the occasional DE use.

Well, I've only got one soap to share experience with. DR Harris Arlington shave soap. I love it. The smell, the way it lathers, everything.
It's not as good with my DE I have to say, but it still works.

With my straight it absolutely sings. I couldn't want any more in a soap.

Does anyone have any other DR Harris products to recommend? Or any soaps they know of that are superior? i'd love an excuse to try something new :w00t:

I tend to use creams a lot more when I use the DE. The extra cushion it gives really helps keep the irritation to a minimum, whereas soaps seem to fall slightly short. With the str8 I tend to use soap more often since I don't really need that cushion. A nice slick surface is all I really need.

I also notice a big difference...for st8s it's Tabac, Irisch Moos, MWF. As far as non tallow soaps go for str8s I've had pretty good sucess with MB.

Tallow based soaps. Triple Milled. :thumbup1:

DR Harris > Tabac IMHO. Just got some GFT in. May try it out this week.

Last edited:
This is probably way down on the list of most folks complaints, but I find myself paying much more attention to how sticky the lather is. I rinse the blade by swishing in a sink full of water, so a stickier lather requires more energetic rinsing and much more danger of banging the edge as compared to a DE. Generally I find the creams to be sticker so I use more care when shaving with them than with soaps, but I still enjoy using them in rotation.

Sho' nuff have. Before switching to straights, the tallow & lanolin v. glycerin debate was wholly irrelevant to me. After switching, I distinctly prefer tallow and lanolin based creams and soaps.

Also, I used to aim for a different lather. Been too long to recall the difference.

it's pretty interesting to me that most (myself included) prefer a dense tallowy lather for Straight shaving, but that the only soaps SRP offers are made of Glycerin.

it's pretty interesting to me that most (myself included) prefer a dense tallowy lather for Straight shaving, but that the only soaps SRP offers are made of Glycerin.

that is funny...while i like the smell of glycerin soaps, even with de shaving, i never got super results with them. i still use the ones i have for just a quick de shave where i'm rushing and kind of want a unique smell, but i can't even imagine how rough straight shaving would be.

i just used krissy's prarie-creation tallow old spice and really liked the shave i got with it. considering her prices and available scents, i'll probably stick with her for any future orders...and pick up scs colognes when i need to restock.

Top Bottom