What's new

Favorite Soap Tubs/Containers?

That’s a first for me? How does someone use it properly in order to get it to do that?
One of two ways. Use it daily, and in a few weeks it will absorb enough water to do that. Or fill the container 1/4 to half way with cold water and let a new puck sit for a day or two. If you keep the container covered and use it about once a week, it will stay like that.

Edit: I have no idea if the new formula palm oil stuff will react the same way. This is relevant for the tallow formula stuff that was discontinued earlier this month.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
One of two ways. Use it daily, and in a few weeks it will absorb enough water to do that. Or fill the container 1/4 to half way with cold water and let a new puck sit for a day or two. If you keep the container covered and use it about once a week, it will stay like that.

Edit: I have no idea if the new formula palm oil stuff will react the same way. This is relevant for the tallow formula stuff that was discontinued earlier this month.

Thanks for the valuable lesson! I wish I had new this back in 2011! I purchased the MWF and the ceramic bowl way back in 2011. Loved the scent, lather, lanolin and everything about it.

But without this knowledge you just gave, I had a very hard time back then, trying to keep that MWF puck from cracking, drying out and finally crumbling into dust.

While it was in rotation with a couple other soaps, I never knew to hydrate the puck except for loading my wet brush on top of it?

I finally found Haslinger Schafmilch and never looked back. I wish I would have known about this information before the MWF formulation changed.

This proves that an old dog can always learn new tricks.

:)

I had a wooden shave bowl I used but it broke after getting dropped. I now load directly from the shave scuttle. Though I want to get a bowl to grate sticks into.

Does it make a difference what the bowl is made from? I see marble, glass, wood, plastic, stainless steel.

I had a wooden shave bowl I used but it broke after getting dropped. I now load directly from the shave scuttle. Though I want to get a bowl to grate sticks into.

Does it make a difference what the bowl is made from? I see marble, glass, wood, plastic, stainless steel.
I don't think it matters much what the bowl is made from, as long as you don't drop it. :ohmy:

Some use bowls with texturing at the bottom to help with lathering. I have had problems with little Haslinger pucks sliding around my bowl, but I put a finger/thumb against it to keep it in place. With grated soap, I try to press it into the bottom of the bowl so it doesn't move around too much.

I have had the MWF bowl. Way too big for the soap. It’s hand made, so sometimes the ceramic lid fits good on some, sometimes they don’t. I’m pretty sure I knocked mine into the sink and broke it.

Tabac glass bowl? The water get’s underneath the soap in the bowl and never dries out.
If you use it properly, it swells to fill the container.
I housed my first puck of MWF in a plastic Maggards container, same wonderful result.
I do have a couple MWF Ceramics, but like Tabac - I prefer to use the dish to store the soap in as I use the puck as a stick and load from the bottom.

Plus, my MWF dishes are dodgy; the lids are so wavy I'd swear a second grader made them

There's a coincidence. I was just getting at this one this morning.

It's resin, but a good weight and looks the part.

Screenshot from 2023-06-03 12-06-17.png

Top Bottom