What's new

Favorite Shave Stick??

Arko, and I like the scent strength - though for different reasons.

When your current Arko starts to get down to an inconvenient length, take another stick, unwrap it, put it in a big coffee mug out in the shop. That initial Arko blast is very outdoorsy and smells great along with wood and varnish. It reminds me of driving in the old truck with dad when I was a kid - with one of those green cardboard pine-trees hanging from the rear view mirror. Those old fresheners were also a bit 'spicy' at first. IIRC, initially he'd just tear the cellophane enough to get the string through, then tear the package open a little more as the smell started to abate. The cellophane only got fully removed when the freshener was on its last legs.

air-freshener.jpg

My favorite sticks to date are Palmolive and Ogallala bay rum. Derby was pretty good performance-wise, but I didn't care for the scent. Irisch Moos was amazing for both performance and scent, but sadly no longer available. Boots was decent and I liked the scent. I also melted a few Van der Hagen pucks into containers and used them as sticks, which worked really well. I have a couple of D.R. Harris sticks in my stash that I have yet to try; someday I'd like to try Wilkinson Sword and Speick. I'd really like L'Occitane to make Cade as a stick (and I'd probably buy a holder to go with it if they made it).

So far I've only used the Turkish shave sticks Derby and Arko.

Of the 2 if I had to pick 1. It would probably be Arko.

Have Speick and Palmolive stick at the house that will be getting used as soon as I finish up what I have in my current rotation.

Not sure which one I want to try first. But I'm kinda leaning towards Speick right now.

Want to purchase Wilkerson and La Toja as well next time I place an order.

Will those WCS tubes fit a palmolive stick, Arko?

they’re about 75g volume. So all the 50g sticks fit with room to spare. The Palmolive is likely too hard to press fit I if I remember correctly. Arko should be soft enough to press in. With those, you don’t need to tube them, but it can be nice.

I run a Speick stick routinely and used to put it up in its own ziplock, but now it’s in a vintage tin that classes things up a bit. If you want to save some space traveling, just stripping some foil off the stick works fine.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I travel a lot and use shave sticks almost exclusively when on the road. I love Arko. I dig the smell, and the performance is great. It reminds me of the Ivory soap from when I was a kid. I have found Speick and Palmolive sticks to smell better, but not perform nearly as well as Arko. Lately I have been working through sticks of PAA Club Guy, and Ogalalla Bay Rum. Both are excellent. They are both quite soft in comparison to the others, so they get consumed quicker. But the smell and performance of both sticks have been great. I’m almost done with both of these, so it’ll probably be back to an Arko stick next. I also use the push up containers from WCS for my Arko. I will need to try making a stick out of a regular croap puck and see how that works.

Will those WCS tubes fit a palmolive stick, Arko?
I've never had a Palmolive stick, but I've made a few Arko sticks. Arko is soft enough to break off pieces with your hands and press them into the plastic tube. Putting them in the plastic tube is especially convenient for travel.

to each there own, I really liked modern Williams puck but using it like a shave stick! of course the others like La Toja,Palmolive,Wilkinson,Tabac etc... are incredible but for me Williams works so good for me

Arko is soft enough to break off pieces with your hands and press them into the plastic tube. Putting them in the plastic tube is especially convenient for travel.

Arko is soft enough to just press it down on the center screw in the container. You don't have to break off pieces.

Top Bottom