Favorite Shave Stick??

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
MdC fougere (or your favorite flavor) packed into an empty D. R. Harris tube
Valobra
La Toja

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I would've only said Arko and La Toja, but today I tried a Lea shaving stick, and now I'm adding that to the list. Great performance and scent!

Pulled out the Tabac today, what an excellent soap!
F48FF109-5814-4C6C-8C37-7149F52551E0.jpeg

My favorite soap is Tabac and I do believe that the stick out performs the puck.

Bold and interesting statement.

The Tabac stick was my first favorite soap.
I used it pressed it into a unused Cella tub as I found it was to big for my face to use as a stick.

After that I bought the porcelain triple milled soap, and I can't say I notice a difference other than the stick being softer.
Can someone post the ingredient list? I always though it was the same, maybe there is a slight difference.

Valobra and Palmolive are my current favorites.

They both make delightfully luxuriously protective and slippery lathers and I love the way they smell. Palmolive is criminally cheap. Valobra smells like something Dracula’s bathroom would smell like.

I’m glad I got the Valobra stick from Connaught for a good price, Valobra is no longer on the website!

🖖🏼

How do you make them? Grate the soap and stuff it in the holder or?????
Here is how to make a shave stick.

I use the grater method for harder soaps and the biscuit method for soft soaps.

I no longer use shave sticks but when I did my favorites were Wilkinson, DR Harris, Valobra, and Tabac. Since I now shave my head every day I found it easier to load my brush directly on the soap puck.

Valobra smells like something Dracula’s bathroom would smell like.

Prior to reading that I had no interest in trying Valobra. Now I have to know what that smells like...

I've only tried 4 shaving sticks so far, but here's my list, first to last:

1st: Tabac. I can't imagine how a shaving soap can get better than this. Currently I'm using Tabac for my first shave of the day, every day.

2nd: Palmolive. Insanely good value here in the UK. I get really good shaves from Palmolive but for me Tabac still beats it in all departments except price.

3rd: Arko. It's very good and lathers very easily but I find that both Tabac and Palmolive give me better protection. I suspect that I'm not getting the water mix quite right; Tabac (especially) and Palmolive seem to be more forgiving in this respect. Then of course there's the scent. I don't hate it but I certainly don't love it either.

99999999999th: Boots (UK Chemist's own brand). I've seen some good reviews for this but I got a burning sensation from it the instant it went on my face, and on top of that I could not get a decent lather out of it. For me, it's just plain unusable.

Top Bottom