What's new

Favorite Powerhouse Scent

Grey Flannel is my favorite but I use very little. It works like a skin-scent on me.

I wouldn't consider even the old Paco Rabanne a "powerhouse." More like a soapy skin scent

vintage Acqua di Selva

Attachments

• $acqua.jpg
    $acqua.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 133
A girl I knew in college had a signature scent that has haunted me for years. She always smelled like exotic spices. I went out dancing with her one night and my clothes smelled like her for more than a week. The air outside my dorm often smelled like her. I almost gave up figuring out what she was wearing. I went to a hippie college and she went to a store devoted to eastern goods. It could have been a customized fragrance. Recently I found out that it's probably Diptyque L'Autre (1973). I tried the current version on myself and one spray hit my friend like a semitruck. I could smell it over 12 hours later on myself. Since college, I've only smelled it one other time on somebody in a big box store.

A Hindi Oud oil, from the Assam region of India.

like "Old School Hindi," which has a barnyard jolt, but morphs into a [FONT=&amp]resinous, leathery, warm vibe, [/FONT]from boutique vendor, Feel Oud (Adam).

or

"Shano Shokat," a more sublime, but potent, musky, earthy and spicy Indian Oud, from Agar Aura (Taha)

Last edited:
Just tried Joop Homme today for the first time, and it's pretty potent for sure. I expected to hate it based on what I've read, but I actually found it very interesting and appealing.

It's a divisive fragrance that gets a lot of hate for being a sweet, synthetic, clubbing foghorn - like Le Male in that sense. Well, it is sweetish and strangely synthetic - particularly the opening - but unlike the hair/bug spray accord in Le Male that smells bad to me, the synthetic smell of this smells really good and brings back memories of things the smell good that are not healthy to smell and/or are toxic - plastic wire insulation, new PVC shower curtains, rubber cement, Super Elastic Bubble Plastic (that rubbery goo toy that you ball up and put on a little straw to inflate - dead ringer for this), xylene, ethyl ether, Kool Aid powder. . . Mated with that is a discordant, minty/medicinal note. It's one of those "bad-good" smells that you should, but can't, not smell. To the extent that this is less toxic than the above, it's a guilty but healthier pleasure I guess.

The deep dry down becomes more conventional but remains pleasant and interesting. Lots of vanilla and some patchouli resulting in a burnt caramel accord. Sillage and longevity are very strong, but not the beast mode described for the original (I have the current/2016 formulation).

Perhaps Kouros, although I feel so danged self conscious when I wear it in public. Love Givenchy Gentleman, so I will go with that. If we are talking about the modern era, I would say Leather Oud and Black Aoud.

Perhaps Kouros, although I feel so danged self conscious when I wear it in public. Love Givenchy Gentleman, so I will go with that. If we are talking about the modern era, I would say Leather Oud and Black Aoud.
I've been rocking Kouros for 3 days in a row. Awesome stuff!

Isn't it great? Have you worn it in public? Did you get any feedback from anyone?
Oh yes, super. I have gotten several comments from ladies that I smell good. Women seem to like it. 2 sprays on chest between skin and tshirt, lasts all day. If it's hot, one spray does it for me. Great stuff.

My understanding of "powerhouse" is that it is a frag either released in the 70/80s or constructed along the same principles/notes as those. That said, a powerhouse has monster sillage and longevity, mining heavily the fougere/chypre/leather/tobacco territory -- civet (eg. Ungaro II) and honey are welcome (Boss Number One). Thefore, Iso-e (sorry Encre Noir), bubble gum syrups (sorry Tom Ford -- when you wear TF, you are wearing a frag but you are saying you would much rather have a popsicle), already overdone oud-per-week fad (sorry Montale and Lutens) are disqualified. Powerhouse is not something you would wear to go out clubbing. It is something you COULD put on before a business meeting but you better have the cojones to pull it off. Wearing 1 Million or any Montale -- you are merely a conversation piece, a wimpy dude with a shiny expensive toy in the corner you want everyone to admire. Slap on some $12 Ted Lapidus or Zino, or even better, Salvador Dali PH and everyone will KNOW you have arrived and you mean business. You better mean it.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember Calvin? I went through a bottle in my 20's and was so disappointed when I went to buy another and they told me it was discontinued. They tried to point me to Eternity or maybe Obsession, but it wasn't the same.. It's been so long that I really don't have a memory of the scent, I wish they'd bring it back.

Of all the colognes I have now (I've binged somewhat over the past year), I'd still say the two that announce their presence the most are Grey Flannel and Vintage English Leather.

My understanding of "powerhouse" is that it is a frag either released in the 70/80s or constructed along the same principles/notes as those. That said, a powerhouse has monster sillage and longevity, mining heavily the fougere/chypre/leather/tobacco territory -- civet (eg. Ungaro II) and honey are welcome (Boss Number One). Thefore, Iso-e (sorry Encre Noir), bubble gum syrups (sorry Tom Ford -- when you wear TF, you are wearing a frag but you are saying you would much rather have a popsicle), already overdone oud-per-week fad (sorry Montale and Lutens) are disqualified. Powerhouse is not something you would wear to go out clubbing. It is something you COULD put on before a business meeting but you better have the cojones to pull it off. Wearing 1 Million or any Montale -- you are merely a conversation piece, a wimpy dude with a shiny expensive toy in the corner you want everyone to admire. Slap on some $12 Ted Lapidus or Zino, or even better, Salvador Dali PH and everyone will KNOW you have arrived and you mean business. You better mean it.

+1!

Top Bottom