What's new

Favorite Post Shave Soaps

GD soaps are tops in post shave but for my money tallow + steel wins top honors
I’ve got some stirling sheep 🐑 on the way.
The Sheep is awesome! I just had to step away from it temporarily due to skin sensitivity (lanolin).

I looked at the Tallow + Steel site. All ten offerings seem fairly scent-forward...definitely no unscented offerings.
I may have to pass, as I have issues (both olfactory and dermatological) with strong scents. 🤷‍♂️

With GD, shipping is always delayed. There‘s always a reason. Always.
Who’s the prophet…Mohammed or Hannah’s Dad?! 😂

3EDC0D02-4B69-4617-968F-7DCD764EB698.jpeg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The Sheep is awesome! I just had to step away from it temporarily due to skin sensitivity (lanolin).

I looked at the Tallow + Steel site. All ten offerings seem fairly scent-forward...definitely no unscented offerings.
I may have to pass, as I have issues (both olfactory and dermatological) with strong scents. 🤷‍♂️
Yes given that I would suggest you pass or maybe try Sicily. Definitely not a strong scent very pleasant and one of my favorites.

Murphy and McNeil (kodiak)
DG (milksteak)
Los Jabones de Joserra
Zingari Man / Eufros
Nuavia / B&M(excelsior)

I'm waiting for the omnibus B&M

What do you mean ‘slickest’ post shave? It leaves your face greasy?
Not greasy, more like slippery. It's sorta like showering with soft water. You get all the soap rinsed off, but when you rub you hands over your body it still feels like there's still soap to be rinsed off. The other day I opened up my tub of Grecian Horse to smell it and I touched it with my index finger to see how firm it was. As I rinsed my finger tip, that one area was really slippery compared to my other fingers that had not been in contact with the soap.

I remember another member asking for the slickest most protective soaps. And now the best post shaves soaps. Well the list will be pretty much the same. With some additions that weren't quite the slickest but definitely have a very nice post shave feel.

A&E (Non-Kaizen base)
Α&Ε Shaving Butter
PAA (CK6 base)
DG (Milksteak base)
B&M (Softheart base)
Murphy&McNeil (AON base)
MWF
SV (4.1, 4.2, 4.3 bases)
WSP (Formula T base)
WK (Siero formula)
Los Jabones de Joserra (Stearin, Tallow bases)
SW

I'd bet my bottom dollar that T+S "Sicily"

Among the safest scents out there and not heavily fragrances. If you did want to experience T+S that's your best bet

I remember another member asking for the slickest most protective soaps. And now the best post shaves soaps. Well the list will be pretty much the same. With some additions that weren't quite the slickest but definitely have a very nice post shave feel.
Hey...I resemble that remark! 🤣

But, seriously, as you've discovered, although there is some definite overlap, there are also some differences.

Actually, there seem to be more creams this time around! 🤔

I'd bet my bottom dollar that T+S "Sicily"

Among the safest scents out there and not heavily fragrances. If you did want to experience T+S that's your best bet
I'm not a citrus 🍊guy...but thanks!

I wish Tallow + Steel made an aquatic 🌊

Last edited:
I'm not a citrus 🍊guy...but thanks!

I wish Tallow + Steel made an aquatic 🌊
You know, that's actually a very good idea. Aquatic fragrances are the current thing and there's no reason soap makers shouldn't follow suit. I don't care for aquatic frags, but an aquatic soap. I'd be all over that if it was done right. Maybe you should get in touch with T+S to put a bug in their ear.

Ryan just replied:

"Aquatic is another one that we haven’t done, just because we feel like there is nothing new we can really bring here. Aquatics are also difficult to do with natural materials."

Oh well...🤷‍♂️ I tried.

Who’s the prophet…Mohammed or Hannah’s Dad?! 😂

View attachment 1354951
Absolutely the worst when it comes to meeting any deadline he states and then on top of the product being delayed time after time, when it comes to shipping it he is always sick and it gets postponed again!! This is nothing new at all...been happening 99% of his releases for over 2 yrs now!!

Absolutely the worst when it comes to meeting any deadline he states and then on top of the product being delayed time after time, when it comes to shipping it he is always sick and it gets postponed again!! This is nothing new at all...been happening 99% of his releases for over 2 yrs now!!
True. I know you can folks upset about it on shaving boards but I've come to figure it's the price for using his soaps -- which I do always find to be top-of-the-line. I can wait for him to finally get them out; after all, I've got WAY too many others in my cabinet calling out to be used! And to the point of this discussion, they do have, for me, great post-shave feels but I tend to do a good job rinsing and I feel the aftershave feel is more impacted by the splash or balm I use.

Top Bottom