What's new

Favorite Oud

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There are so many great oud fragrances, and so much variation among them that it is best to just sample as many as you can get your nose on. The Jo Malone one you mentioned is quite nice, as is the AdP oud that the learned @Marco mentioned above. These are both representations of "western" oud fragrances that smell great and probably won't offend too many people.

There are a lot of "non-western" oud fragrances that are perceived as skanky, pissy, animalic, cheesy, etc. Xerjoff makes some nice ones in this category in their Oud Stars line (Zafar, Zanzibar). Dusita Oudh Infini is worth trying just to see how far your tolerance for skank goes. From there, you can always get some pure oud oils to see how different ouds smell from different regions of Southeast Asia.

Good luck!

It was actually El Haramain Amber Oud Rouge, a rather inexpensive fragrance from the United Arab Emirates that is supposedly a masculine clone of Baccarat Rouge 540 that got me on the whole Oud line. It's quite strong, though I personally wouldn't say it is off-putting in any way.
Of course, it may be possible that those people who do describe the smell favorably may not detect the hints that others who do not like it detect.

I'm no expert on the genre and I'm not entirely sure I love it as the Oud often seems like a bit player in a flowery scent or one that is just too sweet for me. I've sampled a few of the pricier ones mentioned some are quite nice a few may lean unisex but are not that potent that you could pull off and enjoy. I've always liked Floris products so I blind bought their Leather Oud and quite enjoy it will likely even pick up a backup which is rare for me. The Montale/Mancera lines if I'm not mistaken kind of started the western Oud craze and are in that mid price range and many of the offerings are quite potent. Plenty of budget friendly ones around as well if your just looking to dip your toes in.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm no expert on the genre and I'm not entirely sure I love it as the Oud often seems like a bit player in a flowery scent or one that is just too sweet for me. I've sampled a few of the pricier ones mentioned some are quite nice a few may lean unisex but are not that potent that you could pull off and enjoy. I've always liked Floris products so I blind bought their Leather Oud and quite enjoy it will likely even pick up a backup which is rare for me. The Montale/Mancera lines if I'm not mistaken kind of started the western Oud craze and are in that mid price range and many of the offerings are quite potent. Plenty of budget friendly ones around as well if your just looking to dip your toes in.

To be honest, I'm more of a fan of flowery than I am of aquatics, and I think it's probably the combination of flowery and earthy tones that make oud attractive to me.
I enjoy oak moss, vetiver, bergamot and fougere type scents. Leather and tobacco flower as well.

Good luck with the search but just to clarify though Baccarat Rouge 540 while it has some flower it leans to some form of sweet oriental and is not a Oud. It's the thing to help sales many including ones from this thread have very little to do with Oud even if the synthetic form is listed in the notes jdp93 touched on what they can be like. Jacques Bogart One Man Show Oud Edition might be very cheap in price but is a great bang for the buck. Quite a ride for a synthetic Oud cheapie.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Good luck with the search but just to clarify though Baccarat Rouge 540 while it has some flower it leans to some form of sweet oriental and is not a Oud. It's the thing to help sales many including ones from this thread have very little to do with Oud even if the synthetic form is listed in the notes jdp93 touched on what they can be like. Jacques Bogart One Man Show Oud Edition might be very cheap in price but is a great bang for the buck. Quite a ride for a synthetic Oud cheapie.

Yeah, of course I'm just repeating reviews that I have read, I have no idea how Baccarat Rouge 540 actually smells!
To me, the El Haramain Amber Oud has a very middle eastern touch to it and I don't get any oriental impression at all.
But that's me, so - for what it's worth.

Well beyond my level of expertise but you may want to try some real ouds. Powerful. Spiritual. Rare and precious. My impression is that artificial ouds do not hold a candle to the real thing.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well beyond my level of expertise but you may want to try some real ouds. Powerful. Spiritual. Rare and precious. My impression is that artificial ouds do not hold a candle to the real thing.

I've spotted a couple and am thinking things over!

I am not well schooled on ouds, as they do not seem very popular in the southeast, but I would throw Korres Emerald Oud into the mix. It is not brutally strong, but it hangs around enough for me, and I really have to let it dry down or I can feel a bit self conscious or a bit like "that guy", being that I live in a hot and humid area and that it is not a common scent profile here (freshies being the dominant choice, it seems). It has an earthiness to it, but I feel I can pull it off in all but the hottest parts of the year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned Stirling Agar. Fantastic, long-lasting scent. One of my favorites overall. Highly recommended.

C

Kalemat Arabian Oud is my favorite oud scent. In fact, some days it’s my favorite scent, period. (Usually days when I actually wear it.)

A nice classically structured smooth rose and real oud blend is Thirty Three by Ex Idolo.

If looking for a real oud blend with a shaving pedigree, Dragonsbeard EdP is the real deal, with a nice blend of real oud, sandalwood, vanilla and just a touch of rose. Very reasonably priced for the ingredient quality, IMO.

Did the OP choose anything?

I’m new to the game and only own one Oud currenty: Banana Republic Oud Mosaic. It’s lovely and online reviewers seem to think so too. it has rose in it, which I understand is a common pairing with Oud. For $20 bucks it’s quite a steal IMO. It’s the only cologne (EdP in this case) I bought a backup bottle of.

I wouldn’t wear it in warmer weather though.

Top Bottom