What's new

Favorite Oud

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Did the OP choose anything?

I’m new to the game and only own one Oud currenty: Banana Republic Oud Mosaic. It’s lovely and online reviewers seem to think so too. it has rose in it, which I understand is a common pairing with Oud. For $20 bucks it’s quite a steal IMO. It’s the only cologne (EdP in this case) I bought a backup bottle of.

I wouldn’t wear it in warmer weather though.

I have not bought another yet. I am eyeballing the Acqua di Parma based solely on the recommendation of @Marco as his taste and judgement in such things is impeccable.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have not bought another yet. I am eyeballing the Acqua di Parma based solely on the recommendation of @Marco as his taste and judgement in such things is impeccable.

Phil, you are always too kind my friend.

By the way, I just tested the newest Acqua di Parma Colonia Futura, which is excellent. It features the citrusy notes of the classic Colonia with woodsy hints in the background. It's 99% made of natural ingredients. And it's about to be added to my den soon.

I favor Polo Supreme Oud. This smells so manly-- woody, spicy and smoky. I have about half a bottle left. A couple of years ago I looked for more, no luck. Ebay had a good number of bottles then, at opportunist prices. I found a Belcam Classic Match version at Walmart soon after, and it turned out to be very close to the Polo version. So the Belcam is worthy of praise. I now have the half bottle of Polo and the near full bottle of Belcam. Think those two will be enough.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Dear Phil, Acqua di Parma makes an excellent Oud IMHO.

And I am extremely happy to see you again, my friend. :thumbup1:

It would appear that Acqua Di Parma has changed the name and bottle design of the Acqua Di Parma Colonia Oud Intensa to just Acqua Di Parma Oud.

Old bottle
375x500.15519.jpg

New bottle
375x500.55998.jpg

All the fragrance sites are saying it is the same, just a name and design change because people were getting confused with the "colonia" addition to the name.

In any case, I have ordered and I'll let you know when it is in hand!

Hey, “Cary,” sorry, I just noticed this thread.

Check out Guerlain’s line of “oud” scents.

Aside from being a well established and respected perfume house, their “oud” scents range from medium strength to INTENSE. 👃

I believe what you seek may lie within the “house” of Guerlain.

You’re welcome! 😎

391340C3-F2E0-49AF-8A36-CA9062257DBE.jpeg

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
It would appear that Acqua Di Parma has changed the name and bottle design of the Acqua Di Parma Colonia Oud Intensa to just Acqua Di Parma Oud.

Old bottle
View attachment 1296951
New bottle
View attachment 1296952

All the fragrance sites are saying it is the same, just a name and design change because people were getting confused with the "colonia" addition to the name.

In any case, I have ordered and I'll let you know when it is in hand!

Phil, when it comes to Acqua di Parma I've NEVER been disappointed over the years.

You have made an excellent choice, Sir.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hey, “Cary,” sorry, I just noticed this thread.

Check out Guerlain’s line of “oud” scents.

Aside from being a well established and respected perfume house, their “oud” scents range from medium strength to INTENSE. 👃

I believe what you seek may lie within the “house” of Guerlain.

You’re welcome! 😎

View attachment 1296962

I appreciate the advice. Between the El Haramain Amber Oud Rouge that I already have and the Acqua Di Parma that I just ordered, I think I'm full up on Oud for the moment. Next round perhaps!

Hmmm... and all these years I thought an Oud was an Arabic Lute (it is by the way). See, even shy of 60 I learn something new every day. Thank you for that.

I appreciate the advice. Between the El Haramain Amber Oud Rouge that I already have and the Acqua Di Parma that I just ordered, I think I'm full up on Oud for the moment. Next round perhaps!
BTW, I hope your AdP “Oud Rouge” lasts longer than my “Colonia!” 👃🙁👎🏼

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The El Haramain lasts FOREVER. You have to think about what you're going to wear the next day, because you can still smell it after a shower.

This is exactly what happens to me too when using my signature fragrance: Acqua di Parma Colonia. I hope the newest Colonia Futura will feature the same long-lasting staying power.

I currently have four Oud fragrances. (I want more lol)

Ralph Lauren Polo Supreme Oud - this one has a pretty strong oud note (though I’m still learning about the note). It hits right from the start. There’s some cinnamon there in the middle - they seem to compliment each other well. This is a very dry one and not flowery at all like some ouds. (No rose or carnation to balance the medicinal Oud). Here the woods dominate the base with some vetiver supporting.

Halston Man Amber - imagine being in the woods after running the chainsaw through a sugar maple log.. and then someone opens a thermos of hot cocoa. This has that sawdust feel, but also nice myrrh and Amber that gives the sweetness. It’s linear and not super strong but smells amazing. As far as the Oud note, it’s there with cedar but I think the cedar dominates. Sadly it’s not easy to find anymore at a good price.

Art of Shaving Oud Suede - this one is hard to pin down. I get an Oud that’s similar to the Polo, but has none of the sweetness. This Oud is supported by saffron, lavender, patchouli, vetiver and woods. Cypriol is supposed to mimic leather. It’s a very well blended fragrance. I mostly get dark woods, the Oud and vetiver. I totally recommend this, but not at the AOS retail price.

CO Bigelow Elixir Black - this one was always listed as having a top note of “argar wood” - of course this is the wood that Oud comes from. This was never marketed as an Oud but I get the sense of it, just a touch. Most of you probably know this scent from visiting Bath & Bodyworks. It hasn’t been on their shelves for a few years now but it’s again available on the CO Bigelow website. Other notes listed include tonka, Amber, musk and vanilla. I get mostly a spiciness from the tonka and some sweet from the vanilla. Any “black” comes from the argar wood but it’s not a super obvious part of the blend.

My wish list includes Gucci Intense Oud and Killian Musk Oud.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I currently have four Oud fragrances. (I want more lol)

Ralph Lauren Polo Supreme Oud - this one has a pretty strong oud note (though I’m still learning about the note). It hits right from the start. There’s some cinnamon there in the middle - they seem to compliment each other well. This is a very dry one and not flowery at all like some ouds. (No rose or carnation to balance the medicinal Oud). Here the woods dominate the base with some vetiver supporting.

Halston Man Amber - imagine being in the woods after running the chainsaw through a sugar maple log.. and then someone opens a thermos of hot cocoa. This has that sawdust feel, but also nice myrrh and Amber that gives the sweetness. It’s linear and not super strong but smells amazing. As far as the Oud note, it’s there with cedar but I think the cedar dominates. Sadly it’s not easy to find anymore at a good price.

Art of Shaving Oud Suede - this one is hard to pin down. I get an Oud that’s similar to the Polo, but has none of the sweetness. This Oud is supported by saffron, lavender, patchouli, vetiver and woods. Cypriol is supposed mimic leather. It’s a very well blended fragrance. I mostly get dark woods, the Oud and vetiver. I’d totally get this but not at the AOS retail price.

CO Bigelow Elixir Black - this one was always listed as having a top note of “argar wood” - of course this is the wood that Oud comes from. This was never marketed as an Oud but I get the sense of it, just a touch. Most of you probably know this scent from visiting Bath & Bodyworks. It hasn’t been on their shelves for a few years now but it’s again available on the CO Bigelow website. Other notes listed include tonka, Amber, musk and vanilla. I get mostly a spiciness from the tonka and some sweet from the vanilla. Any “black” comes from the argar wood but it’s not a super obvious part of the blend.

My wish list includes Gucci Intense Oud and Killian Musk Oud.

Excellent job of describing the scents!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
@luvmysuper Phil, any updates here?

You have impeccable timing sir, I was going to post an update this morning.
Yesterday I received my package with the Acqua Di Parma Oud, which took a circuitous route all over the United States via ground delivery.
This is a much "lighter" version of Oud, which is a good thing.
The stuff I already have is very heavy and lends itself to winter months. The ADP is somehow fresher, and more crisp while still maintaining the Oud scent that I was seeking.
I would feel very comfortable wearing this even in the peak of summer. It has a moderate sillage and decent longevity so it isn't overpowering at all.
Thank you for the recommendation, it is a perfect fit for what I was looking for!

The 2,636 mile (4242 km) trip for delivery, which took weeks.

Image1.png

Last edited:
By the way, I just tested the newest Acqua di Parma Colonia Futura, which is excellent. It features the citrusy notes of the classic Colonia with woodsy hints in the background. It's 99% made of natural ingredients. And it's about to be added to my den soon.

Enabling at its best, Marco!

My favourite is Molton Brown Mesmerising Oudh Accord & Gold EDT. Molton Brown does not get much love on B&B but their products are excellent and this one is the best of the lot in my opinion.

Agree. They make spectacular stuff. The Orange and Bergamot (the old Naranji) is still my favorite. Have a great day!

You have impeccable timing sir, I was going to post an update this morning.
Yesterday I received my package with the Acqua Di Parma Oud, which took a circuitous route all over the United States via ground delivery.
This is a much "lighter" version of Oud, which is a good thing.
The stuff I already have is very heavy and lends itself to winter months. The ADP is somehow fresher, and more crisp while still maintaining the Oud scent that I was seeking.
I would feel very comfortable wearing this even in the peak of summer. It has a moderate sillage and decent longevity so it isn't overpowering at all.
Thank you for the recommendation, it is a perfect fit for what I was looking for!

The 2,636 mile (4242 km) trip for delivery, which took weeks.

View attachment 1306130
Thinking of getting this too. How is the longevity working out for you? I don’t need a monster, but I’m looking for at least a 9-10 hour workday.

Top Bottom