What's new

Favorite "Oh No Your Not!!" Aftershave

Topgumy got me to thinking as to what certain aftershaves (guilty pleasures) members have been banned from wearing due to disapproval from wives, girlfriends, mothers, co-workers, partners, roomates, other B&B members at gatherings :wink2: or maybe even the odd pet for that matter. You name it.

Also, I thought it would be interesting to also hear the lengths we have resorted to & various the vaious locations we have been relegated to only enjoying these guilty pleasures ... that well ... have basically driven us underground. Perhaps it might be only while your standing up wind? only to be worn in the garage? the golfcourse? :001_rolle

For me my girlfriend cand stand Old Spice. Its got to much staying power to disipitate by the time she would return from lets say her afternoon shopping trip. Too bad, cause I absolutely love this aftershave too and I have quite the stockpile of Shulton going on here :blush: I really have to pick my moments. Sadly I am sensing Aqua Velva is on the fence ... can you imagine? (Jeesh) :lol:

Lets hear em ...

Last edited:
My wife's Grandfather used to bathe in Aqua Velva, so she thought it was very funny and old manish with I started using The Velva. The first time she saw the bottle in the bathroom she asked me, "Honey, when did you become an Aqua Velva man?" and then proceeded to laugh at me. So for the next few months every time I used AV she gave me a healthy dose of crap about it, so much I gave up on using it. Fast forward a few months - I break out the bottle on a whim. Later in the day she gets a whiff and asks what I am wearing because I smell awesome. Delighted, I inform her it is Aqua Velva. While she is starring blindly into outer space in disbelief, I hold both my fists in the air like a prize fighter after a victory.

My wife's Grandfather used to bathe in Aqua Velva, so she thought it was very funny and old manish with I started using The Velva. The first time she saw the bottle in the bathroom she asked me, "Honey, when did you become an Aqua Velva man?" and then proceeded to laugh at me. So for the next few months every time I used AV she gave me a healthy dose of crap about it, so much I gave up on using it. Fast forward a few months - I break out the bottle on a whim. Later in the day she gets a whiff and asks what I am wearing because I smell awesome. Delighted, I inform her it is Aqua Velva. While she is starring blindly into outer space in disbelief, I hold both my fists in the air like a prize fighter after a victory.

EXACT same thing happened with me and my wife. That's too funny.

One of my co-workers threatened to kill me if I wore Old Spice into the office. However, she very much approves of the Alt-Innsbruck and Cade. Actually, she was the one who talked me into wearing Cade in the first place.

Mine banned Aqua Velva and Musgo Real; I was bummed about the AV, but the Musgo really hurt when I sold it off. She really doesn't like Alt Innsbruck either, but I'm trying to hang on to it!

EXACT same thing happened with me and my. That's too funny.

+1. SWMBO likes when I use AV, but doesn't like AV from the bottle. Additional banned items include Alt Innsbruck, Arlington ASM (but the splash is okay), and anything even mildly rose. I'm partial to the Alt Innsbruck, and wear it anyway. Maybe it smells like cough syrup, but it's the most mentholated splash I've ever used. Love it!

She didn't ban me from wearing it but after my first two shaves I used nivea for men asb and my fiance said, "you smell like a girl!" and started laughing at me....:blushing:

So I'm gonna be looking for something new...

Any suggestions?

I don't wear Old Spice, because my fiancee's father has worn it for her whole life, and I really don't want to remind her of her father when she's close enough to smell my aftershave. :001_tt2:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Royall aftershaves were off limits during SWMBO's pregnancy ... gave her migraines. :ohmy:

... compared to the agonies of child birth, it was the least I could do. :wink2:

i think its just easier to list the one she does like: aqua velva. everything has gotten a response of "you stink" or "you smell like an old man".

She didn't ban me from wearing it but after my first two shaves I used nivea for men asb and my fiance said, "you smell like a girl!" and started laughing at me....:blushing:

So I'm gonna be looking for something new...

Any suggestions?

Is this the sensitive? I find the sensitive has nearly zero scent, and does a really good job. Then you can "musk up" with your favorite.

I use a slightly different approach with our preferred concoctions and after shaves. Without ever letting her see a bottle or anything, I just ask her if she likes whatever scent I am wearing. Haven't had anything come back with a no yet. That way you avoid any preconception regarding something like Clubman, Aqua Velva, or Bay Rum being classified as old man before they can give it an honest opinion.

I bought a bottle of the Dollar General/Family Dollar version of Old Spice. $1.67 plus tax.

I like it. It reminds me of my dad.

Wife hates it. It reminds her of my dad.

I want to sleep with my wife.

She doesn't want to sleep with my dad.

I need a new fragrance and I'm out a buck sixty seven.

...but I am sleeping well :thumbup1:

It's not an aftershave, but my ex g/f had the "Oh no you're not!" reaction to Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambrigde cologne. She said it made her nauseated and gave her a headache. Ironically, her favorite scent on me was SMN Imperial Lavender. Go figure.

In my home Pinaud Clubman is "technically" off limits. I only use a splash of it when I am in a "passive-aggressive" mode. By the way, I never knew that being peeved at something when you're a guy is being passive aggressive, but when your a woman it is a prerogative. I am now way more enlightened. :001_rolle

Last edited:
So far, my wife has vetoed Lilac Vegetal, but allows all my other indulgences. I myself liked the Veg, but the Regular Clubman's is so good, I can use it instead.

My bride dislikes Grey Flannel for the first 2 hours I where it after that it changes and she likes it. She said she did want me wearing Old Spice so I didn't for 14 years till this fall I picked up some of the Vi-Jon Spice and she loves it.

I've gotten a few "meh" responses

That's the only reaction I get from my wife on everything I try on, be it cheap, high priced or somewhere in the middle. She's not against anything but nothing makes her go all Hai Karate, either. I guess I'm lucky...

Top Bottom