What's new

Favorite "Oh No Your Not!!" Aftershave

That's the only reaction I get from my wife on everything I try on, be it cheap, high priced or somewhere in the middle. She's not against anything but nothing makes her go all Hai Karate, either. I guess I'm lucky...

You'd be luckier if you could find a fragrance you love that did make her go all Hai Karate. But still, at least you aren't attached to something she despises - that's always a bummer.

You'd be luckier if you could find a fragrance you love that did make her go all Hai Karate.

Wish I could find something like that, but she's a rare type of female (in my experience, anyway) who doesn't even bother wearing any scent on herself. Never has, apart from DeO which don't count. So I'm not surprised she's indifferent to whatever I wear. Even the expensive testers at the counter at Macy's - around here that's as top of the line as you'll get - she sniffs them on me after awhile and says, "meh, it's ok."

C.O. Bigelow Elixir Black is the only aftershave I wore where my wife really didn't like it. In terms of colognes, we have similar taste, but there are a couple that I love even though she isn't fond of them.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have the oh no, you smell like my grandma+ grandpa togheter when I use Lordos AS (Japanese AS).

I don't think that Lordos is awesome scent-wise but it's all right. I'm trying to work with it as I find that scent changed a bit since I opened the bottle...

On the other hand, when I use Brut... It's apparently the most awesome AS...

My DW curls the upper lip everytime I put on Clubman (which I love) but she doesn't mind the Lilac Vegital. :ohmy: Go figure. She tolerates the Clubman after it has a chance to mellow but she hates it and reminds me every time I put the Clubman on. :confused1

I'm not allowed to wear Tabac, Aqua Velva, or anything with Sandalwood in it that she can smell :crying:. Most everything else is game on.

Tonight my girlfriend told me, "You need some new smells, ever since you got all that shaving stuff you smell like a baby's bottom."

I said, "A dirty baby's bottom?"

"No, a clean baby's bottom" she responded.

Products that apparently fall under the "baby's bottom" category include MWF soap, Pinaud Liliac Veg, Pinaud Clibman, Pinaud Bay Rum, Aqua Velva, and Old Spice. So, I'm left with basically...nothing. :crying: I picked up some Grey Flannel today, we will see if she likes that one or not...

Secretly I figure it will all grow on her, and I told her "Hey, smelling like a clean baby's bottom is better than smelling like stinky baby poop!"

She agreed :thumbup: !

Much to my surprise and delight, I get the "MMMMmmm, you smell GOOD!" from the Clubman Special Reserve. Score another one for The Nid Hog.

The only AS she's expressed disdain for is Osage Rub. Thankfully, it's short lived, so there isn't much conflict. She even tolerates the rare application of "That Grandpa stuff", Afta.

Any mint shaving creams or toothpastes at night, however, are a one way ticket to the couch.

I can't say that she forbids any particular aftershaves, but Brut is definatly not one of her favorites. I only use it when I am out working on the railroad, when I am home I use either Pinaud Clubman, Aqua Velva or T&H Grafton...

:001_wub:My wife, sadly, is anosmic—so I wear whatever the hell I please. She can't appreciate it though:sad:

I've the same problem, or rather my wife does, Silk.

Had a nose like a hound until sinus surgery.

At least I can smoke a cigar in peace.

I'm going to go ahead and +1 myself for being single in this regard. The dog actually gets washed with Ogallala's Wiener (Dog) Wash; considering she's a long haired Dachshund it's quite fitting - so we both smell like Bay Rum.

I'm so torn on Clubman. It's a known fact that my wife does not like it at all. :thumbdown So I seldom wear it, esp. when we cross paths in the morning, which is nearly every day. However, there are days when I get the urge, and splash some on. Have to sneak out.. but.. I usually am kind of done with it by noon, so I try not to splash it on too thick. Then back in the back of the cabinet it goes for another month or so..

Tonight my girlfriend told me, "You need some new smells, ever since you got all that shaving stuff you smell like a baby's bottom."

I said, "A dirty baby's bottom?"

"No, a clean baby's bottom" she responded.

Products that apparently fall under the "baby's bottom" category include MWF soap, Pinaud Liliac Veg, Pinaud Clibman, Pinaud Bay Rum, Aqua Velva, and Old Spice. So, I'm left with basically...nothing. :crying: I picked up some Grey Flannel today, we will see if she likes that one or not...

Secretly I figure it will all grow on her, and I told her "Hey, smelling like a clean baby's bottom is better than smelling like stinky baby poop!"

She agreed :thumbup: !

That's interesting, I read a poll somehwere that "powder" scent is one that women find most attractive on a guy..

I've the same problem, or rather my wife does, Silk.

Had a nose like a hound until sinus surgery.

At least I can smoke a cigar in peace.

I am gradually beginning to appreciate little blessings like that more and more.

I'm also convinced that it's far easier to find a lady who likes your aftershave, than to find an aftershave that your lady likes. Please draw no further conclusion from that comment. Such revelations are the tiny nuggets of wisdom that an old man has learned at no inconsiderable cost, and that a young man won't credit as having any real worth. Thus, each of us insists on a blank slate of our own, and must learn each tedious brush stroke in our own way ... and at our own cost.

But, with age we mellow, man and woman alike. For instance, despite the many of life's ne'er-ending tribulations we have survived together in these past thirty-one years, as I passed my wife in the hallway this morning she reached out to me, caressed my cheek lightly and spoke to me sweetly and quietly, just to say "My darling, the love of my life ... you forgot to take out the damned garbage again and the truck just passed us by."

I am gradually beginning to appreciate little blessings like that more and more.

I'm also convinced that it's far easier to find a lady who likes your aftershave, than to find an aftershave that your lady likes. Please draw no further conclusion from that comment. Such revelations are the tiny nuggets of wisdom that an old man has learned at no inconsiderable cost, and that a young man won't credit as having any real worth. Thus, each of us insists on a blank slate of our own, and must learn each tedious brush stroke in our own way ... and at our own cost.

But, with age we mellow, man and woman alike. For instance, despite the many of life's ne'er-ending tribulations we have survived together in these past thirty-one years, as I passed my wife in the hallway this morning she reached out to me, caressed my cheek lightly and spoke to me sweetly and quietly, just to say "My darling, the love of my life ... you forgot to take out the damned garbage again and the truck just passed us by."

:lol:

I am very, very fortunate. My girlfriend loves anything "talcy" and real sandalwood. She loves AV and Clubman, likes Ogallala Bay Rum and Limes & Peppercorns. She also loves the powdery base that's left after Osage Rub dries on the skin. So far the only veto is Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood, which she says is too "sugary" smelling and cloying, and I'd have to agree.

Gaston,

She sounds like a keeper to me!

Congratulations on 31 years, my friend.

Top Bottom