What's new

Favorite "MUST TRY" Creams

I would appreciate input from all who care to share their favorite "Must Try" shave creams. I am a relative newbie here, but I have been trying to pay close attention to the products that consistently get fond attention, or referred to as classics to be experienced. Any input on what YOU would include on such a list?
Thanks!

Palmolive Classic for men, lathers up just by looking at it (well almost...), smells OK and at only 1.67 euro for 100 ml (or sometimes even less) it's a no-brainer. Readily available in Europe.

Tabac Original, lathers up just as easy and has that signature Tabac scent if you're into that. More expensive than Palmolive but still cheap compared to other luxury brands. Readily available in Europe.

Are you referring to the Italian, Belgian, or East Indian Palmolive? I've been reading some good things about the cooling effects of the Italian Palmolive....

Proraso/CO Bigelow...If this is the only thing I could ever use, I wouldn't mind. Definitely worth a try to experience that menthol kick.

I seriously rate Real Shaving Co cream, available in UK discount outlets for £1.29 a tube. I started a thread about it here. It's made by Creightons, who supply the base cream for some of the top names.

Less of a bargain, but one that gives me masses of rich creamy lather with a nice fresh scent, is Body Shop Maca Root cream - £8 a tub here in the UK.

And +1 on the European Palmolive too - my tubes don't say in which specific country they're made, but it's great stuff.

I've tried a good number of creams & soaps over recent years, starting my glide-adventures with a variety of Geo. F. Trumpers products - which are uniformly all good. I'm still open to trying many more soaps & creams - and indeed have only just purchased 3 sticks of Speick and a kilo of Cella ...purchases inspired c/o the marvellous recc's of the members here. MWF is perhaps next on my to-do list!

Lookin' forward to trying the aformentioned Speick and Cella sometime during the course of this week - but both items certainly represent supremely good vfm and smell wonderful to me!

But... up until now, and without doubt, the gold standard of shaving cream and/or soap, has been my Castle & Forbes Lavender! It's a stunning product on all fronts, apart from the price, which admittedly and albeit quite high, does, as others have stated on-forum - go a long way!

I'm waiting until the start of next spring or summer... and then I'll almost certainly add the C&F Lime, which some B&B'ers believe is an even better treat for the blade, face and nose!

Whatever you chose, I hope you enjoy your purchases. Buying and discovering new soaps and creams is all part of the fun!

Rgds

S-MF

Last edited:
I really like all my creams... I think everyone should try all the famous ones in a scent that seems pleasant to the person... AOS, TOBS, Trumpers, Proraso, CF, Salter, T&H.

I also like Godrej (I don't like the scents very much, but very good performance), Arko, Musgo, KMF and Palmolive, but would not consider them must-try. One I really like, but is not very popular here, is Nivea.

Nancy Boy is very popular and Fraser's is also mentioned often, but I have not tried them.

There is also QCS, which are very popular, and I will definitely try soon!

And then there are soaps... :)

Last edited:
The Cyril R Salter creams are a "MUST TRY". 4 tubs of Salter and TOBS Rose are the only creams that survived the purge of my overflowing cream drawers.

Proraso/CO Bigelow...If this is the only thing I could ever use, I wouldn't mind. Definitely worth a try to experience that menthol kick.

+1 on this. You could go to a local Bath & Body works and pick up a tube of CO Bigelow. Love the cooling effect!

TOBS Mr. Taylor, C.O. Bigelow, Kiss My Face, Real Shaving Company, whatever you do, stay away from Casswell Massey, I know that everything is YMMV, but stay away, Casswell Massey is just awful.

Top Bottom