What's new

Favorite Knot Size?

It's been a while since I've seen this question come up for discussion. So, I thought it might be worth raising again. FWIW, I started out with a 24 mm brush, but soon fell to the siren song of a 30 mm. A few years later, I switched to 28's, which has been my preferred size for past seven or eight. Recently however, I added a 25 mm to my rotation. And while I still enjoy my 28's, the 25 seems to work just as well while using less soap. (Not that I'm cheap or anything. :c2:)

Your thoughts?

26mm both for synth and badger seems to be my sweet spot. Saying they, I haven’t tried anything bigger yet unfortunately. Can’t imagine going bigger than 28mm.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
24mm is a nice size for Synthetic brushes and have brushes from 22 to 26mm and have no desire to go larger.
Loft is just as important as knot diameter and it seems the MFG's have that zeroed in good. To low a loft makes the knot stiff and higher loft makes the brush a softer touch.
There is a @BradSears that makes beautiful brushes, wondering if you are that fellow.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Scroll down a bit, similar question was just raise some time ago:

I'm shifting towards 24-26 mm knots after experiencing the 27-32 mm knots.

I got a Chubby 3 in Best Badger and that is a great brush to treat myself once in a while.

A Zenith Manchurian @27 mm is inbound but I'm leaning towards the SOC Mistura and SOC Finest Badger both 24 mm.

In synthetic, both 24 mm and 28 mm work well for me.

If I had to pick one size I would say 26mm, but for me it depends on what kind of knot,
Bulb or Fan
2 Band Silvertip or 3 band , or Manchurian

My favourite is 24 to 26 mm fans.

The smallest I have is 22 mm, the largest I have is 28 mm (but I did have a 30 mm before moving it on). I am a near-daily shaver, I find that the 24 to 26 mm fans are a good size for face lathering. I do like my 28 mm and it's a luxurious brush, but I find is a tad big for daily shaving, more of a weekend luxury. Favourite to me is something I can use daily.

All of my brushes are 30mm, I would probably go bigger if such sizes were readily available, especially with some synthetic knots which seem a lot smaller then their listed size. I have an Omega Roma brush listed as 31mm but feels more like a 26mm or smaller in the hand.

Top Bottom