What's new

Favorite guitar solos...

I know we have threads out there about your 5 favorite bands, favorite guitarists, song you cant live without and even 5 songs you would play in a juke box but what would be your favorite guitar solo or solos?

Comfortably Numb

1. Jimmy Page "Achilles Last Stand"
2. David Glimour "Comfortably Numb" (2nd solo)
3. Tony Iommi "Warning"
4. Kirk Hammet "Master of Puppets"
5. Jimmy Page "Dazed and Confused (Live)"

Limelight / Alex Lifeson
Highway Star / Ritchie Blackmore
Chevrolet / Billy Gibbons

Im sure I'll think of more..

Omg forgot the best of all time: My Sharona.

I cut my teeth on Van Halen, Page, Clapton, Hendrix, Gibbons, SRV, Santana, Iommi. Instead of playing sports, I came home from school everyday and stood in the mirror and tried to figure out all the greats.

Today I look for the gems outside of the more typical guitar hero.

One more: Bye Bye Love / Eliot Easton.

Duane Allman- Hot 'Lanta (Allman Bros. Live at the Filmore East)
John Lennon- You Can't Do That
George Harrison- I Saw Her Standing There
Eric Clapton- Had To Cry Today (Blind Faith)
Neil Young- Cinnamon Girl

One of my all-time favorite solos is the work by Tony Peluso in "Goodbye to Love" by the Carpenters. The lead break and outro are icing on the cake made with Karen's fantastic voice and drums.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my all-time favorite solos is the work by Tony Peluso in "Goodbye to Love" by the Carpenters. The lead break and outro are icing on the cake made with Karen's fantastic voice and drums.
Oh, yeah ... The Carpenters. The only sibling singing act where he was prettier than she was. And that was BEFORE she went all Anorexic.

OMG...

Almost all of the above (My Sharona?), and add...

Randy - Revelation Mother Earth/Steal Away the Night (and about 7 or 8 others that Randy did, but to me that is "definitive Randy")
Young - Thunderstruck

And not truly "solos" but instrumentals:
Alex Lifeson - 2112 Overture
Uncle Ted - Hibernation and Stranglehold

SRV - Texas Flood (Live at El Mocambo)
Eric Clapton - Bad Love (24 Nights)
Santo and Johnny - Sleepwalk (the whole thing)
Slash - Sweet Child o' Mine
Prince - Purple Rain

+1 to 2112 Overture.

My fav would have to be any version of "I'm So Afraid" by Lindsey Buckingham. Its more like a 6-7 minute guitar solo with some words thrown in for effect than an actual song

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Gary Richrath: Golden Country Live
Peter Frampton: Do you feel like we do
Carlos Cavazo: Battle Axe

And the list can go on and on...........

Lifeson's top 5:
Limelight
La Villa Strangiato
Between The Wheels (as done on the Snakes and Arrows tour)
Freewill (as done at the SARS concert in Toronto - he absolutely shredded it that day)
R30 Overture

Non-Lifeson top 5
Eruption
Sultans of Swing
Anything by Pete Townsend
Ghostdancing
The Wickerman

No love for Buckethead here I see. Say what you will about his wearing a KFC bucket on his head but he can really play. I'm not saying he competes with Gods (Paige,Clapton,Hendrix etc.) but check out his track Broken Mirror off of A Real Diamond in the Rough (a personal favorite of mine).

Top Bottom