What's new

Favorite Gillette?

I don't mean to steal attention from Asmaan's thread, but I've got a similar question with different criteria. I'm looking at giving in to the vintage RAD just to test the waters. I'm not expecting to improve on the performance of my Mühle (but you never know), but I just have to see what these Gillettes are all about.

I have a normal but slow growing beard. I can almost go two days on a shave (if the first day's a BBS), but not quite. I don't have a lot of interest in an adjustable, but I'm willing to be persuaded. So, if you had one Gillette for when you were feeling nostalgic, what would it be?

A lot of these I don't own but would LOVE to.
Any of the numbered British aristocrats.
a 1930's Aristocrat
a Dimplomat/President/Aristocrat (any of those are beautiful)
a toggle

Easy one for me and I have tried dozens of different vintage Gillette models and variations. There is one that stands head and shoulders above all the rest.

The NEW DeLuxe (1930)

proxy.php

I would go with a Gillette Tech, great weight/balance/looks it is just a very well made razor.

Preferences between Techs & SSs? Are they essentially the same except being TTO v 3 piece or do they shave differently? I've heard a lot of comment that the Techs are very mild and am concerned about how close a shave I can get from it.

I have a beard that's maybe similar to yours, can go two days on shave:

I like a 40s SuperSpeed or a Tech. If you want something more exotic, I'd say a Big Fellow which, with a sharp blade, gives a great shave.

I'd have to say out of all the Gillette's (and there are many) that I own, My favorite is the 55' Diplomat shown here in my 5-18-09 SOTD.

proxy.php

Last edited:
What's so special about the rocket? It looks like a British SS, but it always carries a premium, so there must be more to it.

In my vast experience of seven weeks or so of DE shaving, I'd have to say that so far, my two super speeds (56 flare tip, 59 blue tip) are my faves. I still have to test drive the two slims and the fat boy I bought...

Preferences between Techs & SSs? Are they essentially the same except being TTO v 3 piece or do they shave differently? I've heard a lot of comment that the Techs are very mild and am concerned about how close a shave I can get from it.

There is a difference, but you can get a close shave from either. Of the two, my favorite is the Tech, but the SS is nice as well.

Top Bottom