What's new

Favorite Film Scores/Main Themes And The Scenes That Accompany Them.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I heard that theme and liked it enough to get the soundtrack. But, oddly enough, I've never seen the movie. How is it beyond the score?
'Local Hero' is comedic but more in an ironic rather than in a hee haw guffaw way. It also has a touch of an almost mythical and mystical theme- similar in a broad way to the kinds of things WP Kinsella or Bernard Malamud might write if they wrote about North Sea oil rather than about baseball. Great cinematography of several of Scotland's western isles, where it is set.

Always loved the score on Batman Begins, but i now have a new favourite : True Romance. Hans Zimmer is unparalleled.

Can’t believe i didn’t see this movie before. Absolutely brilliant stuff and probably my new favourite movie written by Tarantino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you like Zimmer check out Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague, very good watch/listen.

Speaking of Knopfler, the Local Hero soundtrack is one of the best. Great film as well.
I'm a huge Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler fan, if likewise give Screenplaying a listen. As for Local Hero there's an interesting backgrounder on the making of the film.

I heard that theme and liked it enough to get the soundtrack. But, oddly enough, I've never seen the movie. How is it beyond the score?
I only found the movie about five years ago and quite liked it. If you're looking to reminisce about the 80's and the struggle between the yuppie pursuit of wealth vs the morality of preserving a simpler way of life check it out. Also neat to watch a young Peter Capaldi who is IMO a very under cast actor. He's absolutely brilliant in The Thick of It

As for me the theme from Castaway hits me. I find it a beautiful combination of sorrow and hope.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Jill's Theme by Ennio Morricone from "Once Upon A Time In The West", in my view the greatest ever western movie. Claudia Cardinale is magnificent in that role and had quite an effect on me as a young man. That and the John Barry soundtrack to Walkabout with Jenny Agutter, another fancy of mine as a young man. I am seeing a theme here 😂

another one I found very effective was Bill Conti's score for Rocky specifically during the fight and The Final Bell. It's paced perfectly, brought back the fanfare, but maintained the drama and pain. Rocky, unfortunately, has been tarnished by countless sequels and the character has descended into parody, but the first movie was very good.

I love this thread! I have quite a collection of movie themes (180+) that I listen to when I work. Impossible to pick a favorite. Here's one that has a great move clip to go with it:

Manners Maketh Man by Henry Jackman & Matthew Margeson from Kingsman: The Secret Service
music starts at ~2:21

This isn't a movie, but there is a scene at the climax of the Star Trek episode "The Doomsday Machine." Kirk is piloting Decker's dead starship down the gullet of the planet-killer, planning to beam off before the ship explodes; the Enterprise transporter goes out; and we watch as the seconds tick away and the music reflects that. I couldn't find the snippet on YouTube with the music intact. I'll look again.

ETA: Found it (this is with the original special effects):
The shiver-up-my-spine moment is at 1:54, the horns. Dynamite stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom