What's new

Favorite female singers

I'm sure Jo Stafford has been brought up, but what many may not know was her grammy awards were in the comedy category. When I was a kid, my brothers and I would try to slip one of the Jonathan & Darlene Edwards albums into a stack when my parents would have a cocktail party. My dad had two of their albums and I collected a few later on. Darlene was actually Jo Stafford and Jonathan (on keyboards) was her husband and regular band leader, Paul Weston.

Did not see Maria Brink (In This Moment) or Taylor Momsen (Pretty Reckless). I think they are worth mentioning. Possibly in a different category than Janis Joplin, but I can enjoy both.

Did we have Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention in here somewhere before? A life cut tragically short, but still one of my favorite female singers.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
OMG...unnnfff

1603576560212.png

... oh wait!

Wow so many really but here are a few that come to mind quickly:

Aretha Franklin
Joss Stone
Amy Winehouse
Tracy Chapman
Tracy Thorn
Lucinda Williams
Lila Downs
Susheela Raman
Omara Portuando
Sharleen Spiteri

Last edited:
Janis Joplin for me. I was fortunate to spend a little time with her back in the summer of '69, and share some Southern Comfort with her. I was just a kid, but I'll never forget the "raw" (almost "animalistic") performance I witnessed that night. She was one, and only. RIP

Billy Holiday, of course. Early Joan Baez. Stepping down a notch, I enjoy Julie London and Diana Krall, although she's a better pianist than singer. Too many great singers out there to name.

Top Bottom