What's new

FAVORITE fall scents, soap wise?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Holy black
Dug out the soap, aftershave tonic and pomade to get in the autumn spirit.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Another vote for Mama Bear's Autumn Afternoon - truly a great scent.

TBD is some Southern Witchcraft Lycanthropy - that won't get used until the moon is full, or Halloween maybe. Sniffs pretty good, scent notes are described as Fir tree, lilac, musk, mildew, moss, Egyptian jasmine, palo santo, white sage, ozone

The Noir et Vanille has been addictive, but I don't think it'll be out for Spring dampness. I'm on a long-term quest for the perfect fougere (Varen & Fern so far) which seems autumn-only to me. Tobacco scent fits wet but not cold to my nose aswell and Haverford has that can't decide what I think appeal. Hope you find something just right.

Re: Tabac - I got the cream. I wonder, is the PUCK considered the CLASSIC formulation? If so, how closely do they MATCH each other, if at all?

Thx! 🙂💈

Sir Henry's Sandalwood
Sir Henry's Black and Tan (Sandalwood and Tonka)
Ariana & Evans The City (Sandalwood & Oud)
Le Père Lucien Oud Santal

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Oh, yeah! Just got notice Stirling has this!

I have not tried it, but I have so missed my Queen Charlotte Soaps Basilica over these last few years. Hope this is up to my memories!

proxy.php

I have not tried it, but I have so missed my Queen Charlotte Soaps Basilica over these last few years. Hope this is up to my memories!

proxy.php

I bought this last year and it wasn't what I expected. I don't get much of what I recognize as frankincense, but a lot more of what I think is myrrh and what smells to me like cedar. If you acquire it let us know what you think!

proxy.php
Would love to hear your thoughts on this one. Their Ben Franklin scent has frankincense in it as well and that scent seems to fit in well with cooler weather.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Would love to hear your thoughts on this one. Their Ben Franklin scent has frankincense in it as well and that scent seems to fit in well with cooler weather.

Well, be careful what you wish for, because you are about to hear my thoughts! In Stereo, as they used to say. :lol:

About the Stirling F&M soap? I liked it. Quite a lot, actually. But I did not love it. It's a stellar performer, as all Stirling soaps are, my shave today was exquisite.

But I was wanting to recreate the experience of the much-lamented Queen Charlotte Soaps Basilica (well, maybe the line is lamented, perhaps not that scent), which I did love. To death. I went through multiple tubs of it, it was my favorite fall/winter soap. Like so many of those old classics which are now gone from us, it is hard to replicate them, unfortunately. Perhaps I am being unrealistic here, or unfair, or remembering the scent through rose-colored glasses, I don't know.

Stirling did a fine job with this one, however. The scent is, perhaps, a bit more complex than Basilica, which may be why it doesn't bowl me over like Basilica did. As a (very) old Catholic, this does bring back the memories of the 'Bells and Smells' Mass I was after, and I like it a lot. And it will likely grow on me over time, I'm pretty certain of that. And since it is such an off-the-beaten-path scent, I suppose I should just be grateful a wonderful soap maker like Stirling has filled this void. Bravo, Stirling! It's a superlative shave soap. And I liked the scent of the lather on my face better than I thought I would sniffing it out of the tub--it was quite nice, actually.

I'd pay an arm and a leg for a mostly full tub of Basilica, though. Sigh. @Kyle89 I would say this. If you are looking for an F&M soap, you can't do much better than this. And if you have not experienced the scent of QCS Basilica, you may be quite enamored with this, it really is very nice. If you were a fan of QCS Basilica, though, While I think this soap may perform even better, you'll have to form your own opinion on the scent.

Because so few makers make a soap with this scent, and because Stirling is such a, well, sterling performer, if you're looking for an F&M scent, give this a try. I'm going to shave with it for a week. I suspect it will become a favorite in short order.

2021-11-07_shave.jpg

Well, be careful what you wish for, because you are about to hear my thoughts! In Stereo, as they used to say. :lol:

About the Stirling F&M soap? I liked it. Quite a lot, actually. But I did not love it. It's a stellar performer, as all Stirling soaps are, my shave today was exquisite.

But I was wanting to recreate the experience of the much-lamented Queen Charlotte Soaps Basilica (well, maybe the line is lamented, perhaps not that scent), which I did love. To death. I went through multiple tubs of it, it was my favorite fall/winter soap. Like so many of those old classics which are now gone from us, it is hard to replicate them, unfortunately. Perhaps I am being unrealistic here, or unfair, or remembering the scent through rose-colored glasses, I don't know.

Stirling did a fine job with this one, however. The scent is, perhaps, a bit more complex than Basilica, which may be why it doesn't bowl me over like Basilica did. As a (very) old Catholic, this does bring back the memories of the 'Bells and Smells' Mass I was after, and I like it a lot. And it will likely grow on me over time, I'm pretty certain of that. And since it is such an off-the-beaten-path scent, I suppose I should just be grateful a wonderful soap maker like Stirling has filled this void. Bravo, Stirling! It's a superlative shave soap. And I liked the scent of the lather on my face better than I thought I would sniffing it out of the tub--it was quite nice, actually.

I'd pay an arm and a leg for a mostly full tub of Basilica, though. Sigh. @Kyle89 I would say this. If you are looking for an F&M soap, you can't do much better for this. And if you have not experienced the scent of QCS Basilica, you may be quite enamored with this, it really is very nice. If you were a fan of QCS Basilica, though, While I think this soap may perform even better, you'll have to form your own opinion on the scent.

Because so few makers make a soap with this scent, and because Stirling is such a, well, sterling performer, if you're looking for an F&M scent, give this a try. I'm going to shave with it for a week. I suspect it will become a favorite in short order.View attachment 1359200
Thanks for taking the time to write that up! I really appreciate that. For me seasonal scents are pretty off-beat and this seems to fit the bill. Not at all less intrigued at this point. Going in on an order with my dad shortly and I'll probably end up adding this in as a sample. And like you said, regardless the performance will be great.

It's funny, a lot of my favorite tastes and scents at this point in my life are acquired, and will be going into this one expecting it to grow on me. Excited to give it a shot.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I think it will! It’s superb. I was prolly ruined by missing Basilica all these years and made it a bigger thing than it is. I did like it quite a bit.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
@Kyle89 Changed my opinion. I do love this stuff! I probably was remembering QCS Basilica through rose-colored glasses, but at any rate, it's gone, and this is what I have now. Second shave it really, really, grew on me, possibly because I was evaluating it on its own merits, not in comparison to something else. There is a hint of cedar in this stuff, I think, I'll have to go read the scent notes, but it is terrific.

Highly recommended!

2021-11-07_shave.jpg

Man, I've been trying to avoid ordering this. Myrrh is one of my favorite scents. In fact I've made multiple batches of mustache wax where I simmered finely ground myrrh in the base oils for a couple days. I try not to overdo the frankincense, but the "witchy" store where I buy it locally sells it mixed together.

@JCinPA , the cedar note could be either component honestly. I've had batches of myrrh that were quite resinous, and others that were very woodsy. My current batch leans towards dusty wood. But frankincense has a faint piney note most all the time.

If Stirling made a soap that smelled like Clynelish Scotch (which smells like incense plus old leather missals to me) I would probably buy it by the pallet. And I'm not even Catholic!

Proraso red is great all the time, but really shines in cold weather.

Stirling Gentleman soap and splash especially seem to be made for the cold.

I swap out a bunch of summer soaps and bring out the fall/winter soaps in October. My soaps for the fall/winter include the below and are all great for cold weather IMO…

DG - MOTI
First Canadian Shave - Ace of Spades
Wholly Kaw - Denarius
A&E - Which One’s Pink?
A&E - Revolution
B&M - O’Delight
Southern Witchcrafts - Pomona
Southern Witchcrafts - Autumn Ash
Stirling - Mountain Man
Stirling - Green
Proraso Red
PdP #63