What's new

FAVORITE fall scents, soap wise?

@Kyle89 Changed my opinion. I do love this stuff! I probably was remembering QCS Basilica through rose-colored glasses, but at any rate, it's gone, and this is what I have now. Second shave it really, really, grew on me, possibly because I was evaluating it on its own merits, not in comparison to something else. There is a hint of cedar in this stuff, I think, I'll have to go read the scent notes, but it is terrific.

Highly recommended!
Man, I've been trying to avoid ordering this. Myrrh is one of my favorite scents. In fact I've made multiple batches of mustache wax where I simmered finely ground myrrh in the base oils for a couple days. I try not to overdo the frankincense, but the "witchy" store where I buy it locally sells it mixed together.

@JCinPA , the cedar note could be either component honestly. I've had batches of myrrh that were quite resinous, and others that were very woodsy. My current batch leans towards dusty wood. But frankincense has a faint piney note most all the time.
I am going to try it again - glad I saved it pending new views / reviews of it. I think I'm used to the incense like frankincense, but it sounds like what's in the soap is much closer to real frankincense.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Man, today was day three with it, and I'm loving it more and more. I might get stuck on this for a while. I've now forgotten what QCS Basilica smelled like and I am loving, loving, loving this in its own right. I may finish out the week with this. Stirling knocked it out of the park with this F&M, IMNSHO. I'm sorry for my slow and tepid warming up to it, but that may lend credibility to my opinion. Can't wait to shave with it tomorrow. Again. :D

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
OK, I'm hooked now! Fourth Day with Stirling F&M, can't recommend it enough. I'm going to have to force myself off of it tomorrow or I may be trapped with this one. I'm sure my recollection of QCS Basilica was a bit embellished by time passed, and this grew on me super, super fast. Here are scent notes and ingredients.

A scent that's fit for a King and this season. Lather up a rich blend of frankincense, myrrh, vanilla, cardamom, and copiaba balsam. (Essential Oil)

Ingredients: Beef Tallow, Stearic Acid, Distilled Water, Castor Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Vegetable Glycerin, Essential Oil, Almond Oil, Shea Butter, Coconut Milk, Lanolin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Lactate

This stuff is fantastic, and you know the shave is terrific, as well.

2021-11-10_shave.jpg

OK, I'm hooked now! Fourth Day with Stirling F&M, can't recommend it enough. I'm going to have to force myself off of it tomorrow or I may be trapped with this one. I'm sure my recollection of QCS Basilica was a bit embellished by time passed, and this grew on me super, super fast. Here are scent notes and ingredients.

This stuff is fantastic, and you know the shave is terrific, as well.

View attachment 1360482
My jar showed up today. Smell off the puck is pretty piney, definitely frankincense showing itself, but rubbing a little around my fingers brought out the myrrh. Can't wait to give it a whirl tomorrow. My experience with Stirling soaps is they tend to settle in after a few days of lathering off the puck, and the initial impression is usually one dimensional for me.

First run on F&M didn't disappoint. The frankincense does dominate, though. Comes off smelling pretty "clean" for such an earthy scent. I paired it with Clubman Special Reserve, which may have been a mistake as it really brings out the funk in SR. I'm thinking regular Clubman may be the best choice here.
20211116_065358.jpg

As far as fall scents go, this and Port-au-Prince are going to be in the starting lineup for me.

Great question!

For me, fall and winter mean that I move toward more moisturizing soaps such as MWF and Haslinger’s schafmilch. For me scent is a secondary consideration. YMMV for sure!

Top Bottom