What's new

Favorite DIY blends/mixtures.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What's your favorite mix of readily available commercial blends. Several have been mentioned lately in different threads, like half HGL and half PS Proper English to approximate Frog Morton, IIRC. Or cutting aromatics with Carter Hall. So what's your favorite recipe and do you do any further processing before smoking your custom blend? It would be nice to have them all in a single thread for future reference, if it hasn't already been done, or links in this thread to earlier postings.

One I did recently was:
50% BCA
25% 1-Q
25% Black Raspbettery
I then mixed that 50/50 with CH (like I do with all of my aromatics).

This turned out fantastic and I will definitely be doing it again (after I run out).

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The above mix in my original post should have been HGL/PS English Luxury, not Proper English. But who knows, might be good as well!

My most successful blend was 8 parts 5100 to 1 part perique, pressed into cakes.

Unfortunately, 5100 isnt around any more. :001_unsur

I might give that a try, Price. I have about 20oz of 5100 stocked and whole leaf perique tucked away somewhere...

I don't have any go-to blends, but I mix Carter Hall into most aromatics and some flakes to help improve the burn if I've been lazy with drying.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have a few oz. of 5100 and may give it a try. I know 5100 was popular for blending. @Price , any other 5100 recipes I should try with my meager stash?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
My most successful blend was 8 parts 5100 to 1 part perique, pressed into cakes.

Unfortunately, 5100 isnt around any more. :001_unsur

Do you remember how that compared to McClelland 2015? I was going through my TC page last night and realized that I have 1lbs of 5100 and 2.2oz of McClelland Blending Perique.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I've mixed bulk VA to taste with various burley blends. A few straight burley blends I like, but I usually go for VaBurs.

Also, I do not like cherry flavored blends. The one exception is mostly any bulk VA mixed with a dash of Lane Dark Red. It's been a few years since I've tried that mixture though.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Do you remember how that compared to McClelland 2015? I was going through my TC page last night and realized that I have 1lbs of 5100 and 2.2oz of McClelland Blending Perique.

I had some of Price’s blend and it was tasty. Less periwinkle than 2015 though, and the more important difference was stoved or matured VA in the 2015 vs the red Virginia in the 5100z but with that said, looks like you have the perfect quantities of perique and 5100 to blend those together, jar it for a month or more, and then enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I had some of Price’s blend and it was tasty. Less periwinkle than 2015 though, and the more important difference was stoved or matured VA in the 2015 vs the red Virginia in the 5100z but with that said, looks like you have the perfect quantities of perique and 5100 to blend those together, jar it for a month or more, and then enjoy.

If I were to blend it, I'd press it into a cake. The blend does sound tempting though.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
FE4F14DB-F547-4EA4-A133-53ADA0F2DCFF.jpeg

Pinch of red, bright, Perique and red va cavendish. Not a lot of flavor. Might be a tad too dry.

Top Bottom