What's new

Favorite discontinued shaving items?

So what shave product did you shed a tear for when you found out it was gone? English Leather? Old spice shaving soap? Polsilvers? (just kidding! Or am i...) Whatever it is i want to know! Couple caveats though: 1) No reformulation laments. Yeah maybe old spice smelled better back in the day and perhaps Williams isn’t what it used to be but they’re still around. 2) Please no Gillette razor razor mentions. All others are fair game but lets be honest, does anyone that wants a fatboy or slim adjustable not have one? Look forward to the responses and for pining after some unobtanium i didn’t even know existed. I’ll start with Gillette Fusion shaving balm. I still have an old 4oz tube of it and was shocked and saddened when i found out they no longer make it.

I miss the Old Spice shave soap pucks in an Old Spice mug. Ditto Yardley shave soap in the wooden bowl. They have been gone from the retail market for 20 years or so.

Gillette Super Blue blades back in the 1960's were pretty good, as I recall.

Wizamet blades. The only thing I've tried that I liked that is discontinued.

I have found other blades that are very good to replace, though, so life goes on!

Is this confirmed permanently?
It's just getting very hard to find, pricing was insane and future uncertain. I decided to substitute the Fine shaving soaps instead. Two pucks of Mr. Fine shaving soap for $8 each on sale; should last a long time. I like Valobra a lot but things change.

Weber Razors, had one and stupidly sold it.
Palmolive Lather, in the white and red plastic tube. Got a stash of them though.
Strop Shoppe soap.

The Noxzema brushless shave cream in the jar, used that for about 20 years and then it was gone like Keyser Soze.

Captain's Choice North--I still have soap and aftershave and there is some floating around I could possibly restock, but it's my favorite scent of products that have always treated my face right.

Jeeves of Hudson Street
Saint Sharles Shave
Honeybee Soaps
Queen Charlotte Soaps
Captain's Choice North soap & aftershave (just an amazing scent!)
Master Jade Aftershave
Thayers Medicated Witch Hazel

The Noxzema brushless shave cream in the jar, used that for about 20 years and then it was gone like Keyser Soze.

Captain's Choice North--I still have soap and aftershave and there is some floating around I could possibly restock, but it's my favorite scent of products that have always treated my face right.

Love the usual suspects reference! I was just thinking last weekend how influential that movie has been in almost all modern “suspense” movies. Seeing it as a kid when it came out remember being totally blown away. Now it’d be deemed “predictable.” Anyway i had no idea noxzema had a shaving cream. A sad loss indeed. And captain’s choice north i assumed was a classic that they’d keep in their line indefinitely. Sadly never got to try it.

So what shave product did you shed a tear for when you found out it was gone? English Leather? Old spice shaving soap? Polsilvers? (just kidding! Or am i...) Whatever it is i want to know! Couple caveats though: 1) No reformulation laments. Yeah maybe old spice smelled better back in the day and perhaps Williams isn’t what it used to be but they’re still around. 2) Please no Gillette razor razor mentions. All others are fair game but lets be honest, does anyone that wants a fatboy or slim adjustable not have one? Look forward to the responses and for pining after some unobtanium i didn’t even know existed. I’ll start with Gillette Fusion shaving balm. I still have an old 4oz tube of it and was shocked and saddened when i found out they no longer make it.
I used to have a lavender aftershave from st charles shave and they went out of business. It wasn't the absolute best stuff I've ever used, but it was pretty nice. I've looked around and haven't seen any for sale anywhere so I'm out of luck on that one. If I ever find it, I'm buying it right away.

The aftershave balm made by Charles Roberts of Enchante in Texas. Wasnt a big fan of the rest of his Method Shaving system, but the balm was exceptional.

I must agree with the Wilkinson DE blades that were made in England. I used to buy them at my local drugstore for about 12 cents a blade. I wish I bought a couple of lifetime supplies when they were available.

I must agree with the Wilkinson DE blades that were made in England. I used to buy them at my local drugstore for about 12 cents a blade. I wish I bought a couple of lifetime supplies when they were available.

LOT of people talk about these. I’m not a vintage blade proponent but i think if i ever do buy some it’ll be the English Wilkinsons.

Top Bottom