What's new

Favorite Diamond Plate For Bevel Setting?

So occasionally I get a razor on the bench that’s a real hard case when it comes to setting the bevel. On occasion I’ve just thrown my hands up in the air and just grabbed the Atoma 1200 diamond plate and oddly enough I actually like using it for cutting in the initial bevel. What are some of your favorite diamond plates around the 1200 grit range? I don’t even know that there are that many different makers other than DMT and Atoma but if anyone is aware of any other options this is a good thread to post that information in. Thanks

Last edited:
For stupid hard razors I like to use the 6 micron (4k equivalent) dmt. It cuts faster than a chosera 1k on some of those without leaving a deep scratch pattern. I've used many times the atoma 1200 and dmt 1200. They have much value in some circumstances although I prefer a stone.

Legion

Staff member
For problem razors that I had to get rough with I used a worn DMT 600. Like Wid above, I now have a SG500, which I expect will replace that moving forward. Less messy scratches to deal with later.

Reactions: Wid
I like the DMT Dia-sharp or cheap eBay Chinese 1k with an even distribution of diamonds for razors and knives.

Followed by a Washita to remove the deep stria, then a 1k. Diamonds really tear up an edge, but jointing the edge, will get you to solid steel quickly.

Chinese plates used to be really inexpensive. If you buy Chinese, make sure you are buying a full 8 inch plate, most are 6 inch.

I only have 1 diamond plate which i do everything with (lapping, reprofiling a heel) and on occasion i have used it on a razor,
My now worn Atoma 400
But if i have to move more metal i much prefer my Naniwa Professional 400 to do so, that gets used more on my kitchen knives but has seen a few razors

I have never used a diamond plate to set a bevel on a razor, but I recently bought a Shapton HR 500 and could not be happier. This sucker handles big thick wedges without breaking a sweat.

Reactions: Wid
I like my Atoma 1200 with some soapy water. I prefer this over my worn dmt diasharp.
The Venev vetrified diamond plates are also nice, but I would not pay the price they charge today. You can even use these with a natural nagura to keep them from loading up.

For those of you using Shapton GD 500s. Do any of you also own the lapping plate?

It sounds like the GS 500-HR is super quick and easy but is it really worth it in the long run?

Legion

Staff member
For those of you using Shapton GD 500s. Do any of you also own the lapping plate?

It sounds like the GS 500-HR is super quick and easy but is it really worth it in the long run?
I use an Atoma 400 to lap my SG500 (and just about everything else that isn't novaculite).

I use an Atoma 400 to lap my SG500 (and just about everything else that isn't novaculite).
Okay, okay. Well that's good to know. The Atoma 400 is way more affordable than the Shapton lapping plate.

How long have you been using this combo? I mean do you recall how many times you've flattened the Shapton 500 with the Atoma 400?

Okay, okay. Well that's good to know. The Atoma 400 is way more affordable than the Shapton lapping plate.

How long have you been using this combo? I mean do you recall how many times you've flattened the Shapton 500 with the Atoma 400?
I lap all my glass stones before i use them for razors. I do this to get a fresh surface every time. They are quite hard, so lapping just to keep them flat, if you are only using them with razors might not be that important. However, they cut and feel much better if the surface is given a light refresh.
The atoma 400 works fine for me.

Legion

Staff member

Only about three times, I haven't had the 500 too long, and it is not too dishy for a synth water stone.

I use a cheap 400/1000 Chinese plate to lap my stones. Would love to get an Atoma 400 and 1200 but just haven't pulled the trigger.

Shapton 500 is a great stone if you plan on working on thick wedges and blades with chips.

Not a fan of diamond plates for honing. I will, however, use one when I want to reduce spine thickness. That's something I dont really want to be doing anymore though. I'd rather spend a few more $$ on a razor that was made correctly.
But, for removing material fast, those 10x4 & 11" long DMT plates with a continuous surface did well for me. I think they were 325x but maybe they were 200x.. can't remember at this moment. They handled that work better than the interrupted surface DMTs and Atomas too.
But for honing, like actual bevel setting - not my cuppa tea. I have synths going down to 120x and rarely ever need to go below 500x. The diamond plates can be a bit faster, but I get better results using stones.

Top Bottom