What's new

Favorite Desserts?

Topo Chico is my favorite mineral water. Seems to strike the right balance as far as the level of minerals and seems well carbonated. Irreplaceable for Ranch Waters, too. Seems to be a big shortage of Topo Chico around the country these days though. I was not excited when Coca Cola bought the outfit, but I thought the distribution would be better.

I have to laugh about Big Red. I had never seen it until I worked in Johnstown, PA for a time. I did not know it was a Texas thing, Seems the absolute epitome of a soft drink in many ways. Artificial flavor of no particular thing that I know of and color. Intense high fructose corn syrup. 20 oz bottle and very fairly priced. Great label!

The other Texas brisket beverage I would think of is a big old heavy glass 1/2 liter bottle of Mexican Coca Cola. Maybe an aforementioned ranch water. I do not know Pearl Snap. German-style pils they say. I love the sound of that, the can, and the fact that it is brewed in Austin. We need more craft German style beers in the States, especially lagers and pils.
I really haven’t seen any issues with people being able to find Topo Chico in my area. Maybe it’s just certain areas that are affected. From my understanding Big Red is supposed to be a cream soda type flavor. I remember seeing it in Kentucky when I was younger. Those Mexican coca-colas could be a dessert by themselves. Probably my favorite version of Coke. Speaking of pils have you ever tried Pilsner Urquell? If not I highly recommend it

From my understanding Big Red is supposed to be a cream soda type flavor.
I think you are right! I guess cream soda would be vanilla and there are lots of artificial vanillas out there. So I may have unfairly maligned BR.

<Speaking of pils have you ever tried Pilsner Urquell?>

Yes, it is excellent. And the fresher the better. I think the brand has had some staleness issues. But a fine Czech pilsner, for sure.

<I really haven’t seen any issues with people being able to find Topo Chico in my area.>

There has been quite a bit on the net about it. If you are in Texas you are probably all right. I am in the DC area. Costco and Total Wine used to have excellent deals on it by the case, but do not seem to have it at all recently. There seems to be the odd six pack of various sizes and expressions around, but definitely less than there was at one time.

I've not had it either.
If you are into mineral waters, I think you will at least like it.

Does anyone else think, like I do, that the mineral level of San Pellegrino, and probably Perrier, has gone down over time?

I think you are right! I guess cream soda would be vanilla and there are lots of artificial vanillas out there. So I may have unfairly maligned
Honestly I don’t think you’re maligning it at all. I think that red cream sodas seem to have a slightly different flavor profile than normal cream sodas
Yes, it is excellent. And the fresher the better. I think the brand has had some staleness issues. But a fine Czech pilsner, for sure
From what I’ve seen online the term “urquell” is Czech for original source. And the freshness from my understanding (at least for American made beer) is beer from a keg is fresher than beer in bottles or cans. Mainly due to fewer preservatives and higher turnover rates. Pilsner Urquell is my personal standard for Pilsner
There has been quite a bit on the net about it. If you are in Texas you are probably all right. I am in the DC area. Costco and Total Wine used to have excellent deals on it by the case, but do not seem to have it at all recently. There seems to be the odd six pack of various sizes and expressions around, but definitely less than there was at one time.
I wonder if the lack of availability has something to do with the size of the Hispanic/Latino population in certain areas. Not sure about DC but where I live there’s a large Hispanic/Latino population. Kind of along the lines of “a taste of home” kind of thing. Seems like when there’s a large group of people from a certain country/region outside that country/region in an area foods and drinks from there are more readily available

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Wow, Big Red! Maybe some Topo Chico. Some Shiner Bock.

Need some pickled red onions in there don't we? Maybe some dill or other cucumber pickles. I love Texas barbeque.
Onions, Del Dixie or Southern Maid (same thing) dill pickle chips, and jalapeño slices.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Topo Chico is my favorite mineral water. Seems to strike the right balance as far as the level of minerals and seems well carbonated. Irreplaceable for Ranch Waters, too. Seems to be a big shortage of Topo Chico around the country these days though. I was not excited when Coca Cola bought the outfit, but I thought the distribution would be better.

I have to laugh about Big Red. I had never seen it until I worked in Johnstown, PA for a time. I did not know it was a Texas thing, Seems the absolute epitome of a soft drink in many ways. Artificial flavor of no particular thing that I know of and color. Intense high fructose corn syrup. 20 oz bottle and very fairly priced. Great label!

The other Texas brisket beverage I would think of is a big old heavy glass 1/2 liter bottle of Mexican Coca Cola. Maybe an aforementioned ranch water. I do not know Pearl Snap. German-style pils they say. I love the sound of that, the can, and the fact that it is brewed in Austin. We need more craft German style beers in the States, especially lagers and pils.
Alstadt Kolsch from Fredericksburg would be good too. I like a very refreshing brew with barbecue.

I like the heavy, rich stuff. Two of my faves are plain cheesecake (toppings detract too much from the cheese flavor for me) and cannoli.

Either is dessert heaven for me.

Honestly I don’t think you’re maligning it at all. I think that red cream sodas seem to have a slightly different flavor profile than normal cream sodas

From what I’ve seen online the term “urquell” is Czech for original source. And the freshness from my understanding (at least for American made beer) is beer from a keg is fresher than beer in bottles or cans. Mainly due to fewer preservatives and higher turnover rates. Pilsner Urquell is my personal standard for Pilsner

I wonder if the lack of availability has something to do with the size of the Hispanic/Latino population in certain areas. Not sure about DC but where I live there’s a large Hispanic/Latino population. Kind of along the lines of “a taste of home” kind of thing. Seems like when there’s a large group of people from a certain country/region outside that country/region in an area foods and drinks from there are more readily available
You are probably right about red cream sodas being a little different.

<a keg is fresher than beer in bottles or cans>

I assume that most bottled beer is pasteurized, too. Kegs are not and are kept cold.

<Pilsner Urquell is my personal standard for Pilsner>

Absolutely! When it is good is it about as good as anything to me, too.

<the term “urquell” is Czech for original source>

I think PU was the first pilsner/lager ever made.

<I wonder if the lack of availability has something to do with the size of the Hispanic/Latino population in certain areas. >

Probably. Reading on line there is supposedly a shortage of bottling materials for Topo Chico. I assume they would send that supplies there are to where they sell the most. I never saw TC in the DC area until five or six years ago. I forget when Costco started having it in bulk for an excellent price. It seemed to sort of come and go from Total wine, at least cases of it. Lots of Hispanic/Latin folks in the DC area, but not many folks of Mexican origin!

You are probably right about red cream sodas being a little different.
There’s a slight but noticeable difference in taste between them to me. I wouldn’t be surprised if the recipe used when most of the red cream sodas were introduced used a small amount of natural red flavored syrup (I’m thinking strawberry possibly) to achieve the red color
I think PU was the first pilsner/lager ever made
From what I’ve read certain beer styles originated at different times. The term lager comes from the German word meaning “to store.” People were already lagering beer before the Pilsner style was introduced. The lagering process slowly changed the yeast from a top fermenting (ale) yeast into a bottom fermenting (lager) yeast. Then came along the ability to more easily control how the malted barley was toasted which allowed for lighter colored beers to be developed. The brewery that makes Pilsner Urquell was the first brewery to make use of this process therefore developing Pilsner beer. My thinking is that while Urquell might mean original source when used in the name Pilsner Urquell it would translate as original Pilsner
Reading on line there is supposedly a shortage of bottling materials for Topo Chico
That’s kind of surprising. I would have thought most major beverage companies would have been back on track getting the needed bottling supplies
Lots of Hispanic/Latin folks in the DC area, but not many folks of Mexican origin!
There’s a significant Mexican population where I live but I would say that the majority of the Hispanic/Latino community here is Dominican, Cuban and Porto Rican (southwest Florida btw)

Thanks GR. You know more than I had remembered about bottom fermenting beer.

I, too, find it hard to believe that a company now owned by Coca Cola would have trouble sourcing bottles! Maybe they are trying to set a basis for upping the price or something. Maybe it just did not catch on around her. I sure miss having a good source for it!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm boycotting this thread....<eg> evil grin.

Desserts would be my downfall... I still have 25 pounds or so to lose... I'm down 63 at the moment but in a momentary stall. I'm in one of those plateaus everyone who loses a fair amount of weight hits... This too shall pass.

I'm eating well... and exercising, so in a couple days.. I'll drop a few pounds almost over night.

I call the cap part of ribeye my desert bites :)

since I eat carnivore or animal product only and nothing else :) my topping is often lots of butter ! or I make a Hollandaise of some egg yolk and butter only like today :) yummmmm

before I started eating this way 3yrs now hard to say what my fav was ? one thing that I just loved was Mochi either coconut mochi or butter mochi Hawaiian style

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Made a small cheesecake today that's in the fridge for a church social tomorrow. Chocolate and strawberry syrup for the folks to top it with. Please pray that it actually makes it to the event :)

Made a small cheesecake today that's in the fridge for a church social tomorrow. Chocolate and strawberry syrup for the folks to top it with. Please pray that it actually makes it to the event :)
or you nicely precut it taking a test slice then just space out all the others so it still looks full just with spaces :)

Top Bottom