What's new

Favorite DE Safety Razor

Favorite DE Safety Razor

• Total voters
Do you shave with an adjustable? What is your favorite?
I have 2 Fatboys - 1 D4 (plated in black rhodium) and 1 E2, plus an H1 Slim. I REALLY like the D4, but I have been dying to try a Rex Ambassador. The adjustable makes sense to me, plus I don't have the desire for a BBS shave so I tend to sit n on 2, maybe 3 and be done with it. I like a mild shave.

I did just get Rockwell 6C in the mail today so I am excited to try it.

I have 2 Fatboys - 1 D4 (plated in black rhodium) and 1 E2, plus an H1 Slim. I REALLY like the D4, but I have been dying to try a Rex Ambassador. The adjustable makes sense to me, plus I don't have the desire for a BBS shave so I tend to sit n on 2, maybe 3 and be done with it. I like a mild shave.

I did just get Rockwell 6C in the mail today so I am excited to try it.
I tend to alter the settings on my adjustables from high to low through the shave, lowest setting against the grain. Works for me. I’d be very interested to read your review or the Rex when you use it.

I tend to alter the settings on my adjustable from high to low through the shave, lowest setting against the grain. Works for me. I’d be very interested to read your review or the Rex when you use it.
I think I would be more prone to adjust the settings if I liked a more aggressive shave, but if 2 is already my max, not a lot of wiggle room to change :)

I am hoping to befriend someone here at some point to borrow a Rex for a couple of days to try out. Fingers crossed.

Rockwell model T. On 4 north-south, south-north, twice atg on 3. Better than any other razor I've tried in 45 years of shaving. Which, alas, does not mean that I will not try the Rex Ambassador at some point.

I only use a Van der Hagen short handle. After 427 shaves, I don't see a reason to own another razor. Besides, if I think about getting another razor, the Van der Hagen gives me nightmares.

Only have the Fatboy on the list above and it isn't a favourite of mine for shaving. Get good shaves but it doesn't compare to others I have.

For modern, I would have to go with my Fatip Piccolo razor. For vintage, either my Eclipse Red Ring or my Knockout bakelite razor.

I'm throwing the curve because the Fatboy is the only one I own, but with a 3-day growth or more I get great shaves on 6-7 for the first pass and then move down to 3 for a second pass w/touch ups. Nothing against the modern razors (the Blackbird looks sexy as hell, but pricey), I'm just really into owning vintage Gillettes... except for my ProBak (which I used yesterday and had a very good experience with). On second thought, the ProBak is really just a Gillette... so I'm good.

This week, my top two favorites are my Tradere 1st Gen OC and my Darwin Adjustable. Next tier are my Tradere 2nd Gen OC, original Ikon SBS, Ikon Modern, Darwin Deluxe, Darwin Standard, Ikon S3S and Ikon long handled HP. Third tier are my Tradere SB, Ziglar slant and Olaf Rasmussen razor.

IMG_1279.jpg

I am on vacation this week and only brought one razor - and it is a superb shaver!

Introducing the Feather 1200 Travel kit :001_tt1:

A39F6EA3-ADCA-4785-AF8A-625EDDCDB9C8.jpeg

However my Top 3 favorite shavers are (still):

Gillette Hybrid Tech
Gillette Aristocrat 4th generation
Gillette Aristocrat 1st generation

I voted fatboy for the ones listed. Really enjoyed British aristocrat junior, gamechanger 84 and yaqi tech.

Top Bottom