What's new

Favorite Cookware

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Those are gorgeous and obviously giving great results. Congratulations! As regards cast iron I know many folks, me included, have formed strong sentimental attachments to it, but other than the massive heat sink it provides for jobs like searing steaks, I find cooking with it on the stove top challenging. It is probably the worst heat conductor you can pick, so much so that burner hot spots are visible on pancakes. Of course in the oven conductivity is not an issue.
I was a cast iron lover for many years, especially with gas. However, now that I have an induction cooktop I really prefer the clad pieces. I actually gave most of my cast iron away. The only piece I kept was a smooth bottom round griddle.

That’s it, I’m done with cast iron. I’m pretty pleased with these Demeyere pans.

First a quick swish in soapy water with a washcloth.
View attachment 1337816

Finished with a Magic eraser sponge.
View attachment 1337817

The bacon fat poured off nice and clean. Just a little bacon matter stuck to the bottom.
View attachment 1337818

First swish with the washcloth did pretty well.
View attachment 1337820

Final scrub with the Magic eraser took a little elbow grease, but finished nicely.
View attachment 1337821

Ready for another round.
View attachment 1337822

Bar Keeper's Friend will be really helpful to keep them looking shiny long term. Also, make sure if you're using a scrub brush, get the non-scratching kind to preserve the surface treatment Demeyere puts on there; and needless to say, avoid scouring pads. These are what I use:

20211001_125711.jpg

Now I want a smaller Demeyere fry pan to replace the Viking. I think I’ll give this all a little time to settle in, though.

Worth knowing, the 9.5" Proline fry pan is one of the products the company uses to try to draw people in by offering it at heavy discount at various points through the year. Just be patient and keep checking from time to time.

An alternative option you could also look at would be a carbon steel pan in that smaller size. They need to be seasoned like cast iron, but they are far less clunky and a bit more heat responsive overall (some are thinner than others, which is not entirely a bad thing with certain jobs in the kitchen). Once they're well seasoned, pretty much nothing does a better job cooking an egg. Relatively inexpensive too. Mauviel, de Buyer, and Matfer Bourgeat are reliable longstanding 'made in France' manufactures; there are a number of newer American companies at varying price points offering these now too.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Worth knowing, the 9.5" Proline fry pan is one of the products the company uses to try to draw people in by offering it at heavy discount at various points through the year. Just be patient and keep checking from time to time.

An alternative option you could also look at would be a carbon steel pan in that smaller size. They need to be seasoned like cast iron, but they are far less clunky and a bit more heat responsive overall (some are thinner than others, which is not entirely a bad thing with certain jobs in the kitchen). Once they're well seasoned, pretty much nothing does a better job cooking an egg. Relatively inexpensive too. Mauviel, de Buyer, and Matfer Bourgeat are reliable longstanding 'made in France' manufactures; there are a number of newer American companies at varying price points offering these now too.
I have a couple of carbon steel pans from Solidteknics. I’ll definitely be watching for the Demeyere discount though.
51957B7E-9756-424B-8FD1-75F859FD79EC.jpeg

I've had a sizeable accumulation of the "Karen" line of Serafino Zani cookware for aaages. It's heeeavy, but cooks like a dream.
Zani Skillet 1.jpg

Zani Skillet 2.jpg

Zani Bottom.jpg

This is a new one on me.
It was unknown to me as well, before I came to own a bunch of it. There's a story behind how I came to own it, but it's not all that interesting, really, and I don't think it's anything anyone wants to hear.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Slightly getting off the subject but staying in the kitchen, I just bought my wife a Kitchenaid Artisan 4.8L mixer in a lovely honey colour. It certainly seems like a well made product; from Michigan apparently. 👍

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Once you've had a chance to use these for a bit, let us know what you think. The weight can take some getting used to.
One of the things that I’m really impressed with is how little cooking fat/oil is needed with the Demeyere pans. Tonight I threw a few things together. Split a chicken breast and fried it in a single tablespoon of butter. Then finished off the mushrooms I found in the fridge, chopped some green onions, added some more butter just for flavor. Of course, some crushed garlic and seasoning was added. Made a small amount of bow tie pasta and voila!
49A94B6B-4822-4B64-BB6A-578F244036FB.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I’m totally ruined over this Demeyere Atlantis stuff. I thought I had “good” stuff. But now I have great stuff!

I just ordered a Demeyere roasting pan for the Thanksgiving turkey. It’s not Atlantis and is most likely made in Indonesia, but I’m getting tired of the old shell game with Viking and All-Clad.

I’m totally ruined over this Demeyere Atlantis stuff. I thought I had “good” stuff. But now I have great stuff!
I agree. If you love to cook, having cookware like this is certainly not a necessity, but it's a nice indulgence and can add to the enjoyment.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

I’m noticing the 9.5 Industry 5 as a draw right now for $99. Not so much the Proline.

I love the large Proline fry pan with the helper handle, but I’m wondering whether I might prefer the lighter weight of the Industry over the Proline in the 9.5, as it is a little more active cooking style with that size. I wish there was a store near me where I could handle them. Do you have any thoughts on this?

I’m noticing the 9.5 Industry 5 as a draw right now for $99. Not so much the Proline.

I love the large Proline fry pan with the helper handle, but I’m wondering whether I might prefer the lighter weight of the Industry over the Proline in the 9.5, as it is a little more active cooking style with that size. I wish there was a store near me where I could handle them. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Williams-Sonoma and Sur La Table both carry Demeyere I think. If one of those stores is nearby, there's a good chance they'd have Industry cookware in stock for you to handle (if not, they could order it in -- might make sense to call first).

And I think you could also make a good argument for choosing the Industry line here. Since you already have the 11" Proline, adding its 9.5" counterpart might be a little redundant (the 11" can do everything the 9.5" can), whereas a slightly lighter weight alternative gives you something different to pick from depending on the occasion.

Ultimately, if after handling the Industry you decide you prefer the Proline, I think you'll eventually find it on sale if you're willing to be a little patient (e.g. Black Friday or after the holidays; and weirdly enough Feb-March seems to be a good time for that).

A couple points on previous comments:
Paderno was a Canadian maker of pans etc. but they were bought by Canadian Tire who then sold the factory to Meyer cookware (USA) but kept the rights to the name. Unless you find some older product you will likely have to buy it exclusively at Canadian Tire (and much is now made in China-not all, but much).
If you are interested in waterless cookware (like the afore mentioned SaladMaster) you may have good luck at thrift stores. There are many brands out there, many of which were made by West Bend for a while so they are fairly similar to each other. The main things to look for if you go the thrift route are the knobs tend to "dry out" and crack (some replacements are available online) and you need the proper lid for the pan to get the "waterless magic" to work. Without it you have just a heavy pot/pan. On that note, the pans are usually pretty solid. I think there may be only a few lines that are still made in USA, if that's important to you.

A couple points on previous comments:
Paderno was a Canadian maker of pans etc. but they were bought by Canadian Tire who then sold the factory to Meyer cookware (USA) but kept the rights to the name. Unless you find some older product you will likely have to buy it exclusively at Canadian Tire (and much is now made in China-not all, but much).

Oh right, worth pointing out that there are actually two completely separate and unrelated companies out there with the brand name "Paderno": the Canadian brand that you mentioned, and then an Italian brand called "Sambonet Paderno Industrie S.p.A." (e.g. see the product reviewed here). The latter brand's World Cuisine / Grand Gourmet line is made in Italy and very high quality cookware; it's frequently used in professional kitchens. To make things even more confusing, apparently the highly-respected Vollrath Centurion line is also re-branded Paderno Grand Gourmet cookware too (see here, for instance or cell phone friendly link).

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
As much as I absolutely love these new Demeyere pans, I’m not sure that I’m ready to replace the 10” Viking with a 9.5“ Demeyere Industry. At this point it seems like the biggest advantage would be to eliminate the rivets, as the Viking is still a good performer.

The Viking 10” is in the lower left corner, cooking this morning’s omelette filling. The Demeyere 12.6” is the one with the bacon.
84EB0979-E484-4D3A-91E4-3F774B67D267.jpeg

The Demeyere is the perfect size for a two egg omelette.
F5ED0436-47A5-4152-A039-06F45DDC605A.jpeg

Came out of the pan nicely.
3F4C66C0-AB47-413B-893E-08665EB89D62.jpeg

The Viking is the 5 ply made in USA version.
01E71185-4C7F-44FE-BCD0-4CC7FCCC3B83.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment

I just ordered a Demeyere roasting pan for the Thanksgiving turkey. It’s not Atlantis and is most likely made in Indonesia, but I’m getting tired of the old shell game with Viking and All-Clad.
Replying to my comment to share that the roasting pan was in fact made in Belgium and not Indonesia.
7BF0B74F-6F4C-437B-9284-EC7F1A1D0355.jpeg

Top Bottom