What's new

Favorite Cookware

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Once you've had a chance to use these for a bit, let us know what you think. The weight can take some getting used to.

Do you find their skillets heavy, or all the Atlantis pieces? I don't have the skillets but I have several of the Atlantis saucepans and find them relatively lightweight due to them not being fully clad, I also find them very well balanced (comparing to my AllClad D5).

Do you find their skillets heavy, or all the Atlantis pieces? I don't have the skillets but I have several of the Atlantis saucepans and find them relatively lightweight due to them not being fully clad, I also find them very well balanced (comparing to my AllClad D5).
The skillets are quite heavy by most standards. There's just a lot of mass there. With the saucepans and saute pan, it's more that they're bottom-heavy with all of the weight in their base -- if you're trying to tilt the pans to pour something it can feel a bit clunky.

We have a mix of different pans. I bought a Korean BBQ pan a few years ago and liked it so much we have purchased 4 pans from the same company latest is a ceramic lined frying pan.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
The skillets are quite heavy by most standards. There's just a lot of mass there. With the saucepans and saute pan, it's more that they're bottom-heavy with all of the weight in their base -- if you're trying to tilt the pans to pour something it can feel a bit clunky.

Hmmm, I never noticed that. But now that you planted the seed in my head I'm quite certain it will haunt me!

Thanks.

:letterk2: :welcoming:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
OMG!!! What a sight to see. Got home from work and to a stack of new cookware and a baby gift for my first grandchild!
C596F85F-BE92-40EC-8371-7FD1CEF5158D.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The knife was an afterthought, but really quite pleasing to see.
E3F2CA9F-29B3-42E8-996D-6A1C4DD87F45.jpeg

This is a two quart Made In saucepan. It’s brushed instead of polished, but I’m ok with that.
B4D42314-F67B-4BB2-B2D5-E45B09C10C9E.jpeg

This is the two quart Made In next to the three quart Viking.
3DA56570-118C-4CE3-B391-342A7EC34B74.jpeg

I like that the Made In has flared edges as opposed to the straight edges of the Viking. I’ll take that feature over polished any day, especially since the polish doesn’t seem to last anyway.
FE1AE3F4-0931-4358-96A8-AE628C33EB66.jpeg

More to come. Next up is Demeyere.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The Demeyere box was quite heavy. It contained a large sauté pan and a large fry pan.
40408203-56E1-4523-BB28-D74BC475FD7E.jpeg

This is a bad pic, as the perspective is very skewed. In the front is a smaller and much lighter Viking fry pan and also a smaller Made In sauté pan. The camera angle makes the ones in front look nearly the same size as the ones in back which are actually larger.
08B0E689-0767-4013-8159-332E452E0F41.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
While it may seem like I spent more time with the Made In than the Demeyere, it’s only because I spent more time taking video of the Demeyere and I’m not sure how to share it here.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I made an egg in the Demeyere fry pan and took a video. I’ve also made eggs in the Viking fry pan in the past and had difficulty getting just the right combination of oil and heat to keep it from sticking. The first outing with the Demeyere was with a scant amount of butter and had practically zero sticking. The little bit that stuck scraped right off with ease using a very flexible plastic spatula, so no major scrubbing or scraping required.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Did a few screenshots from the video. Not the best, but gets the idea across.

In this first frame the egg was just dropped in the pan and seasoned. The small piece of butter that you can see in the lower right was used to oil the pan. It was about a tablespoon and maybe half of it was used as I just rubbed the pan with it and then set it back on the cutting board.
E08D1C56-B7CA-405D-9B35-5CAA61550EB0.jpeg

The flip was pretty easy. The egg had minimal stick and I could easily get the spatula under it.
F269CFF8-6A3C-4DD1-B07F-BC57E887738E.jpeg

Plating. Easy peasy. No yoke breakage!
A1401897-BE5C-4850-80C0-3BB625366874.jpeg

Very small amount of stickage, which cleaned up easily with the super flexible plastic spatula. I put that egg between toast and had a nice fried egg sandwich. When the pan cooled it cleaned up in a jiffy with a washcloth and a little dish soap in the sink.
0E9E497B-C725-42D5-A460-E742789DB880.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Now I want a smaller Demeyere fry pan to replace the Viking. I think I’ll give this all a little time to settle in, though.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Demeyere Atlantis.

Outstanding design and build quality, induction compatible. Not cheap. Made in Belgium.

2.6 Qt. Saucier

I have a few of these pieces and I agree they're fantastic. Real heavy though (it's both a plus and a minus). Fissler is also worth a look, the profi line in particular.
Ok, you guys are to blame/thank for this latest splurge. This stuff is pretty amazing, but I never would have stretched my budget this far based solely on their advertising, in fact I barely even knew anything about it previously. So thanks for your testimonials. That means so much more coming from someone who I can interact with.

I have zero buyers remorse over the Made In purchase either, which was entirely my own research. However, that had different criteria which I felt comfortable just pulling the trigger on without getting input from others.

The Demeyere stuff though, for a low budget blue collar guy such as myself, that requires a whole lot more inquiry. Thanks again.

Ok, you guys are to blame/thank for this latest splurge. This stuff is pretty amazing, but I never would have stretched my budget this far based solely on their advertising, in fact I barely even knew anything about it previously. So thanks for your testimonials. That means so much more coming from someone who I can interact with.

I have zero buyers remorse over the Made In purchase either, which was entirely my own research. However, that had different criteria which I felt comfortable just pulling the trigger on without getting input from others.

The Demeyere stuff though, for a low budget blue collar guy such as myself, that requires a whole lot more inquiry. Thanks again.
Congratulations on your purchases; they look great and will give you a lifetime of enjoyment. Cheers!

Did a few screenshots from the video. Not the best, but gets the idea across.

In this first frame the egg was just dropped in the pan and seasoned. The small piece of butter that you can see in the lower right was used to oil the pan. It was about a tablespoon and maybe half of it was used as I just rubbed the pan with it and then set it back on the cutting board.
View attachment 1337636

The flip was pretty easy. The egg had minimal stick and I could easily get the spatula under it.
View attachment 1337637

Plating. Easy peasy. No yoke breakage!
View attachment 1337638

Very small amount of stickage, which cleaned up easily with the super flexible plastic spatula. I put that egg between toast and had a nice fried egg sandwich. When the pan cooled it cleaned up in a jiffy with a washcloth and a little dish soap in the sink.
View attachment 1337639
This has been my experience with a Triply Clad Tramontina 12" fry pan my wife bought me. My first entry into higher end cookware and I am in love. I am thinking about picking up their 8" fry pan for smaller jobs.

Tim

OldSaw

The wife's investment
This has been my experience with a Triply Clad Tramontina 12" fry pan my wife bought me. My first entry into higher end cookware and I am in love. I am thinking about picking up their 8" fry pan for smaller jobs.

Tim
I’m already plotting planning to get a smaller Demeyere fry pan.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Made bacon in the sauté pan and the best omelettes I’ve ever made in the fry pan. I decided NOT to pre oil the sauté pan to see how the bacon would do on its own, in most other pans it would have stuck really bad, not this time. Only half a tablespoon of butter per omelette. Just letting them cool for clean up.
3CF2D1A6-77CB-4558-BD79-96DE58FDDB47.jpeg

OldSaw

The wife's investment
That’s it, I’m done with cast iron. I’m pretty pleased with these Demeyere pans.

First a quick swish in soapy water with a washcloth.
C5362A1F-B23B-4227-A8FE-29B5C8B42EA9.jpeg

Finished with a Magic eraser sponge.
75901084-ED0E-44EC-BD88-D257027E5A80.jpeg

The bacon fat poured off nice and clean. Just a little bacon matter stuck to the bottom.
D7495F9B-F566-47A9-8784-C5C25467A449.jpeg

First swish with the washcloth did pretty well.
FFDA0AE2-5C01-4293-AFA2-68C4F58F074B.jpeg

Final scrub with the Magic eraser took a little elbow grease, but finished nicely.
A3D4844F-03A3-4266-955B-F2CDCE89D4C3.jpeg

Ready for another round.
5A4A4FF6-1AB8-4E89-AD61-E0E5DA0AA44C.jpeg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
That’s it, I’m done with cast iron. I’m pretty pleased with these Demeyere pans.

First a quick swish in soapy water with a washcloth.
View attachment 1337816

Finished with a Magic eraser sponge.
View attachment 1337817

The bacon fat poured off nice and clean. Just a little bacon matter stuck to the bottom.
View attachment 1337818

First swish with the washcloth did pretty well.
View attachment 1337820

Final scrub with the Magic eraser took a little elbow grease, but finished nicely.
View attachment 1337821

Ready for another round.
View attachment 1337822
Those are gorgeous and obviously giving great results. Congratulations! As regards cast iron I know many folks, me included, have formed strong sentimental attachments to it, but other than the massive heat sink it provides for jobs like searing steaks, I find cooking with it on the stove top challenging. It is probably the worst heat conductor you can pick, so much so that burner hot spots are visible on pancakes. Of course in the oven conductivity is not an issue.

Top Bottom