What's new

Favorite cooking magazine

I enjoy the Cooks' Illustrated web site, but detest the extra charge. That seems to be the "in thing", charging for web access. IMO, subscribers ought to get access.

I like Cook's Illustrated (and their TV shows) IN THEORY... I mean, it all sounds so great - exhaustively testing recipes via the scientific method, evaluating all the ingredients, delving into the chemical reactions behind the cooking process. HOWEVER, every time I've made a dish from one of their recipes we've been less than impressed. Somehow the sum of the whole thing is less than its parts. It sure looks authoritative, though.

Personally, I subscribe to Saveur. Sure, it's a little foodie-pretentious (well, make that VERY foodie-pretentious :001_smile), but the photography is beautiful and they really do cover a wide range of food around the world, especially all the delights of street and home cooking to be found out there.

My wife and I have had nothing but success with the recipes from Cook's Illustrated. I guess it just shows that different people like different methods. As for Saveur - it is VERY foodie-pretentious and has some of the best photography around, I think it is better that National Geographic during its hay-day.

Top Bottom