What's new

Favorite cooking magazine

I think that, over the years, I've subscribed to most of them. Setting aside the stories and pretty pictures, I've found the ones I keep coming back to are Cooks' Illustrated and Fine Cooking.

I enjoy reading some of the articles in Gourmet, Bon Appetit, and Food & Wine, but have been less successful with their recipes. With the advent of the internet, I find myself relying less on magazines.

Which ones do you all like?

My wife and I both cook a lot. But like you, our subscription list has shortened a lot over the years as well. We still get Food TV magazine and Bon Appetit. We also cook a lot from Real Simple - not food only but it has surprisingly good recipes.

My wife and I enjoy cooking and we've gone through Cooking Light, Cooks Illustrated, and a few others. We consistantly get excellent results with Cuisine At Home magazine's recipes. Its rare that we get a "stinker" out of this one. The recipes are inventive (without being "way out there"), reasonably easy to prepare, healthy (for the most part), and--best of all--taste great. Some examples include pork chops with a blueberry sauce, roasted salmon fillets with a brown sugar crust and brandy reduction sauce, and a Thai shrimp skewer.

--Mark

I've had many subscriptions over the years, but Cook's Illustrated is the only one I still have. I own every issue they have ever published. Not to say there aren't annoyances and flaws, which there are, but the recipes are consistently well thought out and produce excellent results.

A lot depends on what you are looking for. If you like travel articles, really nice glossy pictures, restaurant reviews, etc. you need to look elsewhere. Saveur was pretty good back in the day, but I haven't looked at one in quite some time.

I love Cook's because they try all the stuff that I know that I'd think, "Hey, why don't I do this?" and tell/show you what happens when you do that stuff. It's great not just for recipes, but for techniques that you can apply to all of your cooking.

I'm thinking about going for the online subscription. Anyone have it who can supply thoughts?

We have had a number and Cooking Light tops our list.

The PBS (I think?) show America's Test Kitchen is great, too! And the cookbook they put out, "the New Best Recipe" is not to be missed.

Cooks Illustrated. I have every issue and buy the index every two years. I like Saveur, but its not a cooking magazine really.

I don't cook. Let that be known. (I'd love to, but I fail miserably with every attempt) However, my WIFE is an excellent cook, and she enjoy's Paula Dean's mag.

Fine Cooking. Everything I have cooked from it has been fantastic. Saveur is good and has some excellent ideas, but some of their recipes need to be tweaked. If you follow them to the letter, they don't always work out. I've wondered if all of them go through their test kitchen.

Top Bottom